Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789

Thread: Absolute Growth

Default Re: Absolute Growth

Quote Originally Posted by mikef View Post
    Well as you yourself pointed out, used P boats are cheaper than used SD or D boats and sometimes I want to go at P speeds so it would be a case of striking a balance between seaworthiness, accommodation, speed and price which is where a used SL72 fits in
    Understood & agreed.
    On the same basis, I almost bought an SL62 myself, during a momentary lapse of reason!

Quote Originally Posted by mikef View Post

Yes but as I said if youre going to buy a 70 footer P boat which, lets face it, are all pretty similar in terms of accommodation, you might as well buy the one that you think is going to be most comfortable in a seaway even if the difference is marginal
    imo the difference in seaworthyness from 70ft P boats, is much more depending on: if and what type of stabilising you have,
    I think that as soon you have modern fin stabs on a any 70footer, P boat, the difference of the hull type is almost neglectible.

Quote Originally Posted by BartW View Post
    imo the difference in seaworthyness from 70ft P boats, is much more depending on: if and what type of stabilising you have,
    I think that as soon you have modern fin stabs on a any 70footer, P boat, the difference of the hull type is almost neglectible.
    Honestly I think the stabilizers while I know they have a lot of benefits I think are making boat builders become lazy and stupid. Height and CoG used to be very important, now with current mentality we have stabilizers and we can fix all even if we do something stupid in design stage.
    Your Canados 70S used to run very good without stabs, and so does an 86 to mention a name or a 72. Just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by PowerYachtBlog View Post
    I think are making boat builders become lazy and stupid. Height and CoG used to be very important, now with current mentality we have stabilizers and we can fix all even if we do something stupid in design stage.
    Agree with that. New mobo designs look and feel ridiculously top heavy all in the quest for headroom in the master cabin and saloon and it seems like manufacturers are relying on stabs to fix that

Don’t forget headroom in the engine room
    Neither a Leaver or Remainer be

Quote Originally Posted by PowerYachtBlog View Post
    Honestly I think the stabilizers while I know they have a lot of benefits I think are making boat builders become lazy and stupid. Height and CoG used to be very important, now with current mentality we have stabilizers and we can fix all even if we do something stupid in design stage.
    Your Canados 70S used to run very good without stabs, and so does an 86 to mention a name or a 72. Just my 2 cents.
    you're probably right (I'm lacking know how on that),
    its even more surprising because my OLD C70s has full >2m standing hight everywhere, from flybridge, to deck to cabins and engine room, and all rooms and cabins are very spacious. (testifying
    from visiting guests with similar size boats)
    The total hight of our boat is usually slightly lower than similar modern models.
    And while we enjoyed her stability without stabs for a few years, I can assure you that the fin stabs brought her up to a totally new level.

you're probably right (I'm lacking know how on that),
    its even more surprising because my OLD C70s has full >2m standing hight everywhere, from flybridge, to deck to cabins and engine room, and all rooms and cabins are very spacious. (testifying
    from visiting guests with similar size boats)
    The total hight of our boat is usually slightly lower than similar modern models.
    And while we enjoyed her stability without stabs for a few years, I can assure you that the fin stabs brought her up to a totally new level.
    The reality is that we're not talking about 70ft+ boats but boats in the 45-60ft range where there has been the real changes in the last few years. Customers now demand a midships master cabin and, in addition, they are no longer willing to accept steps in the floor of the master cabin or height reductions in the ceiling anywhere. What that means is that the floor level has to be higher up in the hull to give that flat floor all round and the floor level of the saloon above has to be higher to ensure no reduced headroom anywhere in the master cabin. All of that pushes up the height of the superstructure; add the now obligatory hardtop and the CoG of the boat goes upwards even if the builder tries to mitigate that with bits of carbon fibre

Is it a good thing or a bad thing? Well for sure buyers are getting accommodation space in modern 45-60ft flybridge boats that would have been unheard of just 10yrs ago and as we know accommodation sells boats at boat shows. The downside of course is reduced lateral stability and yes thats where stabilisers have to do their work. Personally its not a trend I like but I'm probably in a minority on that

its even more surprising because my OLD C70s has full >2m standing hight everywhere...
    Yup, but you are talking of a builder which is among the best, if not THE best, in terms of interior space optimization.
    You don't need to hear from me that BA is comparable to most 80 footers, in this respect.
    And I was equally impressed by the C58 - easily the best and largest interiors I've seen in any sub-60 feet boat.
    Even better than the SL57 for instance, which is already very good, and btw actually a bit beamier than the C58.
    It's hard to explain why, coming to think of it.
    But as a matter of fact, if I should vote the builder whose boats can give the best "larger than it is" feeling, Canados would be it.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789