Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Absolute Growth

Default Re: Absolute Growth

Well, for those who fear and/or can't stand boat motion at all, neither a Nordhavn nor an Itama are good options - staying on land is, I reckon...

It's just a bit weird that those chaps didn't realize the problem during their previous sailboat experience.
    The motion of a full D vessel is as close to sailboats as you can get on a mobo, and without the listing, btw.
    Last edited by MapisM; 10-10-19 at 08:51.

Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
    The motion of a full D vessel is as close to sailboats as you can get on a mobo, and without the listing, btw.
    Not fully agree in my expeience, and I did manage a 28 meter full displacement Dutch build yacht for a few years.
    Once you do proper sailing with a sail boat it is more stable to a displacement craft, jib and main sail upwind, or spinnaker and MS in down wind.

Yes the Disp craft will win in tide only no wind scenario thanks to the stabs, but for the rest I do not think it will be better.
    The problem with disp craft is that the power it has does not generate enough down force to reduce rolling.

I thought that big Nordhavns were stabilised by paravanes

Well, for those who fear and/or can't stand boat motion at all, neither a Nordhavn nor an Itama are good options - staying on land is, I reckon...

It's just a bit weird that those chaps didn't realize the problem during their previous sailboat experience.
    Yes it’s an evolutionary thing .
    I started with sail in the UK .N sea to be specific, test escalated to racing in all weathers and boys trips , boys crew roughing it .Mrs Porto raising the kids while Mr off at WE ,s with the lads .
    Mr N was a sailer back home in Swedish waters same thing , same parallel boating .
    But there becomes a point in the natural evolutionary boat life cycle that this isn’t sustainable. Drivers are stuff like kids growing up and family hols needing to become a bit more involved and inviting to ALL not just the Mr .

But if the Mrs really isn’t that enthusiastic about going deeper time wise into boating due to for want of a better word week sea legs then you are kinda knackered .
    I think Scala on here is in a similar predicament .( if I understood his boat search threads correctly re Mrs Scala ? )
    There’s probably quite a few boat widows about - left at home .
    You can’t say “ stay ashore “ she’s being doing that , well I couldn’t.

So the circle that needs squaring is finding a boat that all can enjoy together .
    There isn’t one silver bullet.
    Many roads lead to Roma

What iam saying is try to draw a distinction from the 10 hr passage and quick blast 2 hrs .
    Remember we are just talking leisure Med use ..... basic holiday boating in fine sumner sunshine .

For Mrs Porto the shorter faster method has worked .
    For Mr N the slower longer arguably near sailboat pace even with arguably a hugely capable boat hasn’t worked with MrsN .

I did not go specifically looking for a deep V boat with good rep , we thought they all were much of a muchness the gubbins underneath.
    It was the Riva dealer in Monaco after a test run in 52 who kindly pointed us in this direction towards Itama .
    I wasn’t fussy just wanted a inclusive solution, sail D speeder , anything ......
    So we went down the shorter fast P route in a reputable deep V hull .Which if you think about it is logical get it over fast .
    Of course I was and Mrs Porto sceptical as if it you make a real difference to the enjoyment.....But that’s history now .

Hopefully I think Mr and Mrs N are going to try one more season as they only got the N57 mid summer .
    We plan to catch up with them ( metaphorically speaking ) next season .

Btw the Varazzi advice from me to them was because we had just day tripped it for lunch , less than an 1 hr for us .Yes the wind whistles down the bay crossing @ Savona but once past Noli it calms .

Interesting cat skinning exercise .

Quote Originally Posted by Bouba View Post
    Nah they’re almost all stabilised by hydraulic fins these days or gyros on the smaller ones. Some of the older ones were set up for paravanes

Quote Originally Posted by PowerYachtBlog View Post
    for the rest I do not think it will be better.
    I didn't say better, just "as close as you can get on a mobo".
    Anyway, I very much doubt that anyone who suffers the sea motion of a stabilized N57 would feel comfortable in a similar size sailboat.

Quote Originally Posted by mikef View Post
    Nah they’re almost all stabilised by hydraulic fins these days or gyros on the smaller ones. Some of the older ones were set up for paravanes
    As I said listening to the N57 folks ( admittedly my only N owners contact ) and thinking Med use and what W said about a Baia 63 Azurri crossing to a big island in the Med , it does make you wonder which ones got it right ?

Quite a compelling question if there’s a Mrs week sea legs in the equation.

What becomes obvious is the silly price they ask for their boats, but if by "cost" you also mean building cost, the reason why it should be proportionally as much higher as they pretend it to be remains a mistery to me.:
    I live in Sweden now, and the cost of everything in Scandinavia is disproportionally more expensive than anywhere else I've lived in Europe. Living costs and taxes (personal and business) are higher, so every hand that's been involved in production throughout the supply chain will bump up prices on anything manufactured in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by Bouba View Post
    That's a buyer's choice, but as mikef said, most relatively recent N'havns were built with hydraulic fins.
    Fwiw, all the three N57 I've seen had Naiad fins (non-zero speed), and one of them also paravanes.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmaTarga View Post
    I live in Sweden now, and the cost of everything in Scandinavia is disproportionally more expensive than anywhere else I've lived in Europe. Living costs and taxes (personal and business) are higher, so every hand that's been involved in production throughout the supply chain will bump up prices on anything manufactured in the area.
    Nordhavn is build and finished in China. While this is okay as Yacht Building is today at the lower side of the technological scale, with the exception of some specialized yards who build racing sailing boats or one off motor boats. As for example Persico in Italy who build all Luna Rosa sailing yachts or FB design, and Lynn Morse in USA. Just to name a couple of names. Then okay Europeans and North American yard do have an eye for detail, that possibly the Chinese unless they copy it to the letter they cannot have.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast