Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Absolute Growth

Default Re: Absolute Growth

Quote Originally Posted by petem View Post
    I'd certainly love to have a look around one
    You might suggest Mrs. petem a romantic weekend in Venice, and by sheer coincidence () the opportunity to see both a 48 and a 50 could pop up while you are there! In fact, IIRC Mr.DP has now one of each for sale near Venice.

Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
    You might suggest Mrs. petem a romantic weekend in Venice, and by sheer coincidence () the opportunity to see both a 48 and a 50 could pop up while you are there! In fact, IIRC Mr.DP has now one of each for sale near Venice.
    One day!

One thing is for certain, a Targa 44 would be OMDB*!

* Things I don't want on my next boat - outdrives, IPS drives or superchargers.
    Last edited by petem; 10-10-19 at 13:10.

Quote Originally Posted by petem View Post
    In my mind a 43 would be as large as I'd like to go however I'm not sure that something like a Pershing 43 would have much more interior space than my current boat.
    Pete
    A Pershing 43 has more space then your current boat and T43. Only galley is more spacious is the T43 and not by much. The space in the P43 is used more to the beam. Great boat especially with Man 630s.
    I sold have a dozens of these and love them to bits.

Otoh, when I said that they shouldn't have gone the IPS route, I was replying to mikef who envisaged that Abs could compete with Fleming and the likes (because he's a "Fleming boater" at heart! ) just by adding more tankage.
    Only in this sense, I added that there's no place for toys like IPS on a serious passagemaker.
    And even if I know nothing of Abs Navettas, I can easily guess that they are pretty far from Flemings and the likes in several other ways...
    I take slight issue with that. I think IPS has been around long enough to be viewed as proven technology and whilst, on balance, I'd prefer shafts, the IPS drives would not stop me buying a Navetta if I was in that area of the market but the poor tank capacities would. Whatever type of cruising you do, having to refill with fuel and water is a PITA. I do think that Absolute have dropped a bollock on this. If you compare the fuel/water tank capacities of the Navetta 68 (3500/910 litres) against direct competitors like the Magellano 66 (4500/1000 litres) or the Sirena 64 (5000/1400 litres), clearly the Absolute is at a disadvantage. All 3 boats are roughly the same displacement at around 45t and nobody is going to convince me that the Navetta 68 uses less fuel than the others so its range will be considerably less than the others. The frustrating thing is that I guess Absolute could fix this fairly easily

As for myself, yes probably I'm a Fleming boater at heart but I would certainly consider the Magellano and Sirena as well, especially since for sure the SWMBO would prefer those for the style and space

Quote Originally Posted by PowerYachtBlog View Post
    A Pershing 43 has more space then your current boat and T43. Only galley is more spacious is the T43 and not by much. The space in the P43 is used more to the beam. Great boat especially with Man 630s.
    I sold have a dozens of these and love them to bits.
    Thanks W, it's nice to have something to aspire to!

Tell me, did they ever make the Pershing 43 with a Silver hull?

'Fiuaskme, it's blatantly obvious that a N'havn doesn't make sense in the Med, unless you rate cruising comfort above anything else.
    Again I take issue with that. Firstly I've seen quite a few Nordhavns in the Med, particularly in Croatia. I think if you want a cruising boat for the Med but with a high degree of self sufficiency (ie the ability to spend many weeks on the hook) and you dont mind displacement speeds, then why wouldnt you look at the Nordhavn? You seem to be condemning them because of their high used prices compared to planing boats. Firstly thats good for owners because they're looking at less depreciation than a similar price planing boat and secondly it shows there is a demand for secondhand Nordhavns which is reassuring. As for sunbathing areas most Nordhavns have large boat deck areas which would take as many sunloungers as you want

guys I can see the diesel tank argument (well just) but I cannot see the water one!
    I upgraded my watermaker (from a barely livable 30lph to a 105-110lph) and I'm now extremely happy I don't have to visit a port to refill, two weeks in July-Aug with just two port visits and 7 onboard was just fine. Every day or two, i'd fire the gen and watermaker on a passage from one anchorage to the next one and restore level around the mid mark. Due to the extra weight of the jet rib I've decided that I can economize weight by running water tanks almost empty to half full (and I only have 500lt of water but aft...)
    Anyway most of the boats you're talking about have one installed, if not you should seriously consider one!

otoh, nordies open air living spaces are obviously not a design priority, was checking the 56MS (I know most ppl hate them!) and its outrageously small aft deck, not to mention you cannot pass a lazy line to the bows (btw how do you do that for med mooring??)

V.

Anyway most of the boats you're talking about have one installed, if not you should seriously consider one!
    I have a watermaker on my boat. I cant use in harbour because it has to be fed with clean water and at 100lph, it takes about 10hrs to fill my tank anyway so, at anchor I have to put up with the noise of the generator and the watermaker for that period. Far better to start with a bigger tank in the first place

otoh, nordies open air living spaces are obviously not a design priority, was checking the 56MS (I know most ppl hate them!) and its outrageously small aft deck, not to mention you cannot pass a lazy line to the bows (btw how do you do that for med mooring??)
    The 56MS is a motorsailer and cannot be compared to a motorboat, only to sailing yachts, all of which suffer from lack of deck space

We are back to buying a boat to match intended use .
    If that usage pattern changes then perhaps the boat should be changed to suit .
    I wouldn’t say no a Nordy if it’s was gonna be used for long self contained trips to less crowded areas in the Med and had sufficient crew capability to run day and preferably mostly night passages .
    But then again you can get some real nice sail boats from 60 ft up they become comfortable from a deck plan POV .

But coming from Baltic sail boat for a guy , the Swed , I can’t see him even considering a twin V12 24 L Arnesons powered Baia over a 4 or 6 pot Luger doing 6.4 knots in a semi yacht interior and feel that a Nordavn initially feels .
    So I can see how he ended up where he is .

As for PeteM I can see where and why he’s thinking what he’s thinking ( P43 ) and identify with the “nothing with outdrives, IPS or superchargers “.
    We looked at a P43 as it fitted the berth * The gloss wood interior although in good order was on the not next time list of Mrs Porto .....back then .
    The HT attracted me along with the MAN engines .Its got split accommodation, aft cabin suite so that tells me the engines are where they should be in the middle not at the back .
    Btw having split accommodation in a 14/15 M boat works well with guests as it feels we each have our own private spaces .

Aft cabin residents need to be nimble enough to negotiate a steep ladder .That too can be worked to your advantage in the sense it self selects who accepts invitations to stay on board .

Also Pete I wanted a boat with fixed furniture, ie no convertible tables or swinging back rests etc .A huge sun pad , a huge bathing platform.A fixed ( not cassette ) paserelle . A cockpit table where all seated occupants have enough room . None vac toilets , remote holding tank - no messing with Y valves and lifting cabin sole access panels .
    All those ( except the gloss wood ) the P 43 has .

So it nearly made it

14 M is a nice size berth availability wise when on a trip .

A nice boat to move into after the outdrive sports cruisers experience.

Quote Originally Posted by mikef View Post
    I have a watermaker on my boat. I cant use in harbour because it has to be fed with clean water and at 100lph, it takes about 10hrs to fill my tank anyway so, at anchor I have to put up with the noise of the generator and the watermaker for that period. Far better to start with a bigger tank in the first place
    That’s because there’s a miss match in the WM ,s capacity and your av cruising time ( be it D or P ) .
    Vas can replenish 250 L to 1/2 top up his in the time 3 hrs at D to move about each day or so .

You need a WM that can make 500 L , 1/2 your capacity in the time it takes to get from PV to the Lerins or Villefranch
    A bloody big one .

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast