Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Default Rigger wants to use crane for rig inspection

I am looking to engage a rigger to tweak my rigging tension and adjust the forestay, following a standing rigging replacement last year

To my surprise he says ‘elf and safety mean that he will use crane (hired at my cost) as he won’t go up on a halyard

The riggers who replaced it did and all the ones I have seen do (using a second halyard as a safety line)

Is this the new norm?

Default Re: Rigger wants to use crane for rig inspection

No it isn't the new norm! Find a real rigger!
    In fact, if you were going to hire a crane, why not hire a cherry picker instead and do the job yourself in your own good time?
    "Now shall the gentleman haul and draw with the mariner"
    John Hawkins

Quote Originally Posted by Bathdave View Post
    I am looking to engage a rigger to tweak my rigging tension and adjust the forestay, following a standing rigging replacement last year .
    I would question why he feels the need to be at the top of the mast to adjust the rigging.
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

Quote Originally Posted by LadyInBed View Post
    I would question why he feels the need to be at the top of the mast to adjust the rigging.
    If the boat is on the hard standing, you can have a nasty fall, so even to adjust the turnbuckles he might want the crane anyway.
    "Now shall the gentleman haul and draw with the mariner"
    John Hawkins

Quote Originally Posted by Ohlin Karcher View Post
    If the boat is on the hard standing, you can have a nasty fall,
    What is the difference between crashing from 14 metres up down to the deck when the boat is in the water & crashing 14 metres onto the deck when it is on dry land?
    Must be easier for the undertaker to cart the body away from the hard standing than dragging it up the ramp from the pontoon first. Especially if it is all wet and soggy as well.
    Last edited by Daydream believer; 07-10-19 at 15:30.
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

Quote Originally Posted by Bathdave View Post
    I am looking to engage a rigger to tweak my rigging tension and adjust the forestay, following a standing rigging replacement last year

To my surprise he says ‘elf and safety mean that he will use crane (hired at my cost) as he won’t go up on a halyard

As a matter of interest, what is the boat, and what kind of rig is it; i.e. continuous/discontinuous, rod, etc?

And what exactly do you want done to the forestay? If it's just tension tweaking a continuous rig I have no idea what he's on about.

Also, is the boat in the water at the moment? Lots of yards don't permit rig climbing ashore.
    Last edited by dom; 07-10-19 at 15:32.

I have been up my mast using a halyard, and a Get-Up mast ladder, and I once went up in a boatswain's chair suspended from a crane jib. The latter method was quick, convenient and effortless but you are completely dependent on the crane driver: a moments carelessness by him and you can be seriously injured.
    "Brexit: like watching a library being burned down by people who can't read"

A crane seems a bit excessive but I imagine that a rigger would have his practices sorted out. One option, which I have only seen in Kroslin, is to have a permanent ladder like this. It might not suit all masts and would work better in a locked basin, but it looks convenient and safe.

Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Quote Originally Posted by johnalison View Post
    A crane seems a bit excessive but I imagine that a rigger would have his practices sorted out. One option, which I have only seen in Kroslin, is to have a permanent ladder like this. It might not suit all masts and would work better in a locked basin, but it looks convenient and safe.

That looks dangerous, because, from the picture, there appears to be a lack of lateral support to the ladder. What stops it swinging sideways in the event of a slip?
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream believer View Post
    That looks dangerous, because, from the picture, there appears to be a lack of lateral support to the ladder. What stops it swinging sideways in the event of a slip?
    The feet seem to be widely spaced apart giving adequate lateral support. Also the contraption is not resting on the mast but is retained by its two backstays, so there us nothing to slip from.

I would be happy to use it.
    "Brexit: like watching a library being burned down by people who can't read"

Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast