Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Rigger wants to use crane for rig inspection

Quote Originally Posted by Poignard View Post
    The feet seem to be widely spaced apart giving adequate lateral support. Also the contraption is not resting on the mast but is retained by its two backstays, so there us nothing to slip from.

I would be happy to use it.
    I have another photo that shows additional braces very wide apart, so that it is quite secure. The cage looks well thought out too.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream believer View Post
    What is the difference between crashing from 14 metres up down to the deck when the boat is in the water & crashing 14 metres onto the deck when it is on dry land?
    Must be easier for the undertaker to cart the body away from the hard standing than dragging it up the ramp from the pontoon first. Especially if it is all wet and soggy as well.
    You'll probably bounce off the deck and drop another 2-3 metre on the hard, just to make absolutely certain.

Pretty certain that some yards won't allow mast climbing when out of the water. No righting effect from the keel as every part of the boat is above the centre of gravity (well it's sitting on the keel if you ignore the cradle). I imagine yards are worried about stressing the cradles and their liability in event of failure.

Why is the OP getting the rigging tweaked on the hard?

Quote Originally Posted by Ohlin Karcher View Post
    If the boat is on the hard standing, you can have a nasty fall, so even to adjust the turnbuckles he might want the crane anyway.
    Am I missing something? Rigging turnbuckles are at deck level, so if the boat is in the water the rigger just kneels down to adjust them. If on the hard, the deck won't be much more than four meters from the ground.
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

Quote Originally Posted by LadyInBed View Post
    Am I missing something? Rigging turnbuckles are at deck level, so if the boat is in the water the rigger just kneels down to adjust them. If on the hard, the deck won't be much more than four meters from the ground.
    Depends whether the rigging is continuous or discontinuous. The OP didn't say.

Accurately adjusting the rig tension on a boat which is out of the water is a bit futile because it'll need to be done again once the keel is hanging down. It's the same problem you'd have with engine/shaft alignment changing as the boat bends.

That looks dangerous, because, from the picture, there appears to be a lack of lateral support to the ladder. What stops it swinging sideways in the event of a slip?
    Difficult to tell from that piccy, but is that not built into the paved surface, so the ladder is completely fixed. The stay wires at the top are simply to take out any flex on the ladder when someone is past the leg supports.
    The ladder cage is standard on a permanent fixed ladder.
    It looks a good idea a pretty quick and safe way to get up most masts.

Quote Originally Posted by chrishscorp View Post
    Difficult to tell from that piccy, but is that not built into the paved surface, so the ladder is completely fixed. The stay wires at the top are simply to take out any flex on the ladder when someone is past the leg supports.
    The ladder cage is standard on a permanent fixed ladder.
    It looks a good idea a pretty quick and safe way to get up most masts.
    I wish our marina had one...

That looks dangerous, because, from the picture, there appears to be a lack of lateral support to the ladder. What stops it swinging sideways in the event of a slip?
    "Near a sheer legs, lies poor Tom Bowling.... "
    "Brexit: like watching a library being burned down by people who can't read"

Might be becoming the new norm. Only one rigger in my area and I asked him if he could pop up the mast and re run the topping lift which had been let go by accident. Answer was certainly but now need crane hire at £280 plus minimum of 1 hour labour £50 plus vat. Total of £396.

He is a good guy who has done a number of jobs for me but has recently been bought out by the local “Marine Group” so I assume that the new process and pricing is theirs. The pricing and inflexibility is in line with my previous experiences of them. When questioned the rigger said it was an employee insurance issue. Needless to say I politely declined his offer.
    Last edited by Dutch01527; 08-10-19 at 07:59.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast