Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Default Re: Rigger wants to use crane for rig inspection

If the man is inspecting the rigging, would he need to check the fixings at the top of the mast?

Quote Originally Posted by Mister E View Post
    If the man is inspecting the rigging, would he need to check the fixings at the top of the mast?
    The OP said it had been replaced last year, it should only need a tune up, best done afloat, ideally when going to windward on a lightish day.

In Empuriabrava there is a cherry picker available for €30/hour. Easy and you can take all the tools up in the basket.

I couldn't get a rigger to go up my mast when it was ashore last winter. They were happy to do it afloat in a marina. This seems to be the norm now because they were willing to shin up masts in our yard in previous years. I think it is to do with the stability of cradles especially if they haven't been set up by the riggers themselves.

thanks to all for comments so far, some questions and assumptions made by other posters so I’ll try and answer them

- as mentioned standing rigging replaced last year,
    - I have retensioned shrouds but I am reasonably inexperienced at this as would appreciate a professional to get it right -
    - forestay is too loose and I have tightened the backstay as much as I dare as a novice, as I have introduced more mast bend than I had before
    - there doesn’t appear to be a turnbuckle at the base of the forestay
    - new forestay was different to original as I had them fit a toggle to raise the furler slightly to allow my new anchor to launch and recover without fouling it..
    - boat will be in the water

I had assumed the rig tensioning and tuning would be done at deck level, he has flagged up the forestay may need to be done at the mast head

I had assumed he would go up the mast if necessary in a harness. A check over at the masthead by an experienced rigger seemed not a bad ancillary benefit before a crane as mentioned

The post By someone else this morning encountering the same issue on employee insurance grounds suggests this may be starting to be the ‘new normal’ ?

Couple of extra questions
    Is your rig discontinuous?
    Are your spreaders swept?
    And, are you content that the new (adjusted) forestay length was correct?

If, No, Yes and Yes Your backstay will help in setting up but is not the primary way to tension the forestay, but the question remains - What will be the purpose in going to the top of the mast?
    Last edited by Quandary; 08-10-19 at 12:46.

Quote Originally Posted by Quandary View Post
    Couple of extra questions
    Is your rig discontinuous?
    Are your spreaders swept?
    And, are you content that the new (adjusted) forestay length was correct?

If, No, Yes and Yes Your backstay will help in setting up but is not the primary way to tension the forestay, but the question remains - What will be the purpose in going to the top of the mast?
    No Yes and I don’t know, ..I initially assumed so, it was a well regarded rigging company who did the re-rig ...., but I am suspicious it may be a bit too long, see my comment about adding a toggle, and hence my issue with getting it tensioned correctly ...

if the re-rig company were local I’d taken the boat back to them but it’s Plymouth, which is a bit of a trek from here, especially at this time of year.

It's really not that difficult to do yourself. There's a good guide here:-

http://www.seldenmast.com/files/595-540-E.pdf

Get yourself a two-metre folding ruler and a vernier caliper to measure the tension (see page 32). Somewhere in there it says that it is virtually impossible to over-tension rigging with normal hand tools. I certainly found it very hard work getting my backstay to 15% of breaking load.
    ۞

Quote Originally Posted by Bathdave View Post
    The post By someone else this morning encountering the same issue on employee insurance grounds suggests this may be starting to be the ‘new normal’ ?
    If true these people will surely go out of business and deservedly so. If people were prepared to pay £396 for this service why was that not the standard charge before this H&S nonsense was introduced to muddy the waters. What does a tree surgeon do in a forest? Heli-lift a crane in? In this instance HASAWA requires 'reasonably practicable' measures to mitigate risk i.e, measures which balance cost against benefit. No judge in the land would consider a 5 fold increase in cost as a reasonably practicable measure, especially as there is little evidence to support being hoisted by a crane as safer than traditional methods.
    Last edited by Quiddle; 08-10-19 at 14:46.
    I'd rather be tethered to a pad eye than tethered to an iPad.

What I do
    Use a halyard to each side to check that the mast is centred.
    Look up mast to see if it is straight
    Hang a bucket of water on the main halyard to check for rake, about a foot on a 12m mast is a starting point, if already more you may need to remove the toggle you added.
    Pull the backstay on really hard to create some prebend, if your sails are dacron this is increased as they age, check it using the tightened main halyard as a straight edge, tighten the uppers evenly to a point where it takes a really heavy tug to move them toward each other.
    Let off the backstay, tighten the lowers to remove about half the pre-bend, they should be really rigid, more than the uppers.
    That is your starting point, took you less than an hour.
    Nice day, go for a sail, about 10-18 kts, put her on a beat, leeward shrouds will be slack, take slack out, tack, apply same number of turns on the other side. Check that lowers are still hard and that you still have some pre-bend. Job done. Go ashore, nice meal a few drinks and still got cash in your pocket.
    But if you intend to race you need to experiment further with rake and pre bend to suit your sails, if you yacht is a type that is commonly raced these dimensions will be known in the class, but you can vary them to suit your helming style.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast