Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Default Re: Rigger wants to use crane for rig inspection

Quote Originally Posted by Quiddle View Post

...I was a H&S manager in the Fire Service so have at least a little knowledge of this subject...
    So you know about LOLER?

Quote Originally Posted by BlowingOldBoots View Post
    There is something amis here then. In the early 80's I worked full time for a sailing centre on the Clyde which had a significant racing slant to it's business model. I frequently took boats out where the rigging was tuned by sailing close hauled. This was by riggers and a well known sail maker based on the Clyde.
    Odd that. It was a Clyde boat that had the chainplate ripped out. But I'm sure that there's no connection.

Quote Originally Posted by anoccasionalyachtsman View Post
    Odd that. It was a Clyde boat that had the chainplate ripped out. But I'm sure that there's no connection.
    I would love to learn more about this, which boat, or if you have forgotten the name just the class would do?

Quote Originally Posted by Quandary View Post
    I would love to learn more about this, which boat, or if you have forgotten the name just the class would do?
    I can't remember the boat or its owner's name, MG335 in 1987/8. I've a feeling it was an ex-Kip demo boat and it was at about the same time as some of the Clyde Sigmas were replacing the standard backstay systems and giving David Thomas and if I recall correctly, the class association, sleepless nights.

South Oxfordshire, Gosport and Wellington New Zealand.

I can't remember the boat or its owner's name, MG335 in 1987/8. I've a feeling it was an ex-Kip demo boat and it was at about the same time as some of the Clyde Sigmas were replacing the standard backstay systems and giving David Thomas and if I recall correctly, the class association, sleepless nights.
    In one of Tom Cunliffe's earlier books he touches on rig tension. He relays the story of an owner who noticed his shrouds flapping when hard on the wind. He tensioned them, noticed the same on the other tack, tensioned them too.

In Tom's words, IIRC "Whereupon his garboard opened up like a flashers zip!"

Wise words........................

Maybe the trick, assuming, of course, a standard masthead rig, is to wind up half the slack on one side then do the other one.

I always know when a rigger has overtightened my rigging - the toilet door bolt won't go in its hole
    Steve
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Quote Originally Posted by penberth3 View Post
    So you know about LOLER?
    No, nothing at all beyond what it stands for. At the risk of becoming boringly repetetive, I will reiterate that there is no statutory requirement, in the circumstances described by the OP, for a crane to be utilised to raise a person up a mast so LOLER has as much significance in this instance as the Display Screen Equipment regs: none whatsoever. Incidentally, do you suggest that the vast majority of riggers who do ascend masts on the vessels own systems are breaking the law?
    Last edited by Quiddle; 09-10-19 at 14:25.
    I'd rather be tethered to a pad eye than tethered to an iPad.

Should not be too hard to follow up though quite a while ago, not that many 335sin CYCA list.
    In 87/88 there were about 40 Sigma 33s racing in the Scottish Series including ourselves, great fun at the first windward mark, can not recall any back stay issues at the time, plenty of power in the standard set up though we did not use ours much.

Yes, it is odd, now that you recall the boat, that its chain plates ripped out. As this was not common I suspect the oddness was from the people who were doing it.

I think we need to understand that the mast is set up on shore, then tuned at sea. Even the Selden Manual discusses tuning at sea. I know for a fact that when the rigger detects something, the boat is not brought back to the pontoon to make adjustments, they are done at sea.

Perhaps in your example, they did not know what they were doing.
    "'...contradictions .... are deliberate exercises in doublethink." Orwell from 1984

Quote Originally Posted by Quandary View Post
    Should not be too hard to follow up though quite a while ago, not that many 335sin CYCA list.
    In 87/88 there were about 40 Sigma 33s racing in the Scottish Series including ourselves, great fun at the first windward mark, can not recall any back stay issues at the time, plenty of power in the standard set up though we did not use ours much.
    In which case, you probably know the then lowly solicitor who defended the builder!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast