Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Air Conditioning

Any recommendations for air conditioning fitting on the East Coast? I am looking to have 3 units fitted or a central chiller.
    Also what makes are best?

Default Re: Air Conditioning

To get a real answer you need to say the boat.

Central chillers are quieter but will cost more. The all in one units can make a racket but are cheaper.

Capacity will also come into it and may limit your choice.

Dometic is probably the most found brand. Dont buy oddball stuff as AC is there for a reason and when it goes wrong you need it fixed NOW and that relies on the bloke having bits in his van, or getting them at short notice.

Where is the boat to be kept - presumably not the East Coast as it is not really AC territory.

It I s a Broom 450. Will be used in the UK and hopefully in Holland and the French canals in the future. We have a 12kva generator.
    What is the likely cost for supply and fit of all in one units or central chiller?
    Thanks for the help.

All in one units will be less.

People like coastal rides will well you new old stock and also there are other suppliers of new old stock which will save your money.

A few on here ( jimmy the builder , Petem) have relatively recently installed it. I would guess about £2k a unit on average. One will cost more than that due to pumps etc

5 years ago I was quoted ( 14 m boat ) between 9/12 K for std self contained units -3 in all and 15 k approx for a central chiller with separate air handlers .
    I chose the latter as it was silent in operation ( a prerequisite of mine ) which means we can sleep with it on .
    Also internet measurements of BTU for the vol put if at approx 27000, and my unit is a 42000 so loadsa headroom . That might not be a issues in n EU . Iam Med based btw .
    Additionally from previous experiences on visiting berths AC can trip out because of the shore power demands so i specced a low DC inverter Frigomar system which draws 2/6 A . It never trips btw .
    I did a lot of research, you know the "Hunt "
    Did not want noise , shore power trip . Wanted silence . Got them all .
    Geny headroom is always king when touring as well . But you probably know that .
    The installers need to be experienced they have those special tools like car trim guys to tear your boat / car apart and refit as OEM . Fortunately my guys bread n butter is in the Cote d Azur ripping out OEM AC and retro fitting frigomar gear for the above reasons . I was lucky finding them .
    Nosey AC or tripping AC is a moot , taboo subject if just splashed out £2m on a big boat .

Quote Originally Posted by jrudge View Post
    All in one units will be less.

People like coastal rides will well you new old stock and also there are other suppliers of new old stock which will save your money.

A few on here ( jimmy the builder , Petem) have relatively recently installed it. I would guess about £2k a unit on average. One will cost more than that due to pumps etc
    My recent installation was now about eight years ago, amazingly. From memory the cost for a single all-in-one unit was about £4k installed (16k btu).

This is who EBY used , presumably BCU as they are now known continue to do so. Did a Doral I bought new from EBY, good job. They travel to Essex etc.

WWW.NAUTICOOL.CO.UK
    Last edited by rubberduck; 07-10-19 at 17:44.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy_the_builder View Post
    My recent installation was now about eight years ago, amazingly. From memory the cost for a single all-in-one unit was about £4k installed (16k btu).
    We paid around £3k plus VAT (fitted) for a new old stock 16k btu unit. It's not silent so we tend to run it for an hour before bed and maybe half an hour in the night if it gets warm.

Thanks for the replies and advice on types of units. I will try Nauticool for fitting.
    Was also looking at the Frigomar inverter units at SIBS. They seemed quiet for self contained units. Does anyone have experience of these?

Not the self contained, but the chiller unit . They do a 42 or 62 K BTU .
    The actual chiller unit is under a bunk in the aft cabin . It's so quiet the occupant of the bunk is oblivious it's generating 41K btu . The pumps are in the ER .
    Go to the frigomar website and u tube for demo s
    Remember the current draw is tiny also being DC . It runs ( silently) all the time . Traditional AC motors make a racket and turn off when at set point , then judder when they turn on and cause AC spikes . There's slow start ramps but window dressing the current spikes and tripling risk .
    It ain't the cheapest btw . But well worth the comfort on board .
    In fact comfort can get really silly if you want stability, Stabs make the frigomar air con look a bargain. But let's not go there

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast