Default Transducer mounting query

Hi all

I am looking to mount a Raymarine Element 3D fish finder transducer inside the hull of my 1999 Botnia Targa 27 , which is the best method for best results
    I've read up all advice on the web and it appears that simply sticking to the hull with silicone sealant is the easiest but does this give good results bearing in mind this is a 3D transducer , I believe the hull on the 1999 boats were solid GRP not balsa core
    Has any body any advice on this , I was hoping to not have to lift the boat out of the water to fix it to the stern but if this is my best option so be it !

Graham

Default Re: Transducer mounting query

Thick film of high modulas silicone, try and keep air bubbles our of it by squeezing slowly without nozzle attached and then slow hard pressure with transducer, don’t lift again and leave until set for a few days, done this at least 4 times now and perfect each time.

I would be very surprised for 3D to work. A straight down ping is fine but any side component won't work.
    www.crossingthethamesestuary.com

Why not just ask Raymarine for their recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by mr mischief View Post
    Hi all

I am looking to mount a Raymarine Element 3D fish finder transducer inside the hull of my 1999 Botnia Targa 27 , which is the best method for best results
    I've read up all advice on the web and it appears that simply sticking to the hull with silicone sealant is the easiest but does this give good results bearing in mind this is a 3D transducer , I believe the hull on the 1999 boats were solid GRP not balsa core
    Has any body any advice on this , I was hoping to not have to lift the boat out of the water to fix it to the stern but if this is my best option so be it !

Graham
    I have used West System Epoxy for a Down View Transducer (Simrad). Important is of Course that it is solid GRP where the transducer is glued to the hull, ensure there are no airbubles left and if required the angle can even be adjusted to go direct down and not to follow the angle of the hull.

You can have it working sitting in the bilge. The key is to get it in the right place and have it sounding through a medium as mentioned.
    Also suggest you get some water in the bilge then sit it in temporarily and test its function at different speeds etc. Then where it works...mount it permanently with silicone or similar. (After emptying bilge again obviously)
    Sometimes you can mount it and it will work at slow speeds, but not at high speeds. The way the boat goes through the water can cause interference with bubbles etc under the hull.
    I have a stepped hull on mine and my first attempt didnít work at speed. This was due to the hull inducting air in the path of the sounding of the transducer.
    Second attempt got it right and now works up to about 40/45 mph. Above that and up to late 60ís it doesnít. Just down to the hull airing out almost completely. Where it is now was the best compromise.
    Best of luck...
    Oh and usually it will be better functioning slightly offset from the centre of the hull. The hull is usually thinner here, compared to a usually re enforced centre line on the keel area.