Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: VAT: Buying In Europe Now and Collecting The Boat After 'B Day'.

It's a complicated situation. Returned goods relief wouldn't apply to the boat if you personally hadn't owned and taken it out of the UK. Has it ever been a UK VAT paid boat? Strictly speaking, unless ordinarily resident in UK, you can't register on SSR but plenty of "foreigners" get around that OK so I'm sure that can be sorted. My inclination would be to buy it, get it UK registered immediately but leave it in the EU (Ireland) until after B day (to retain EU VAT status) and then bring it home afterwards. Just another UK boat returning after a holiday cruise.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSarabande View Post
    Just get someone to bring it back before brexit, then there isn’t a problem. If you have a uk address you can register it on the SSR.
    I would be careful about that option. That would lose EU VAT status.
    The OP's circumstances are made complex by non UK residence. If had been UK resident the plan to leave in Eire and bring back in 2020 would have been ideal.

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.

As I understand it, if a boat is EU VAT paid and outside UK on no deal B day, it will continue to be regarded as EU VAT paid. If it’s then brought back to UK, it will be regarded as an import and thus liable to VAT on arrival. However, there seems to be a loophole in that you should be able to claim returned goods allowance for it: that used to require having owned and used it overseas for a set period (used to be 2 years, then dropped to 18 months).

All of that is really speculation as no one seems to have a good read on exactly what’s going on. I’m still debating whether to bring my boat home from Greece or not. I need more certainty before making a decision.

The generating fact for VAT is the transaction. The transaction date is often associated with the delivery date.

I would suggest moving the boat from its current location as evidence of the fact that the transaction has taken place and then berthing it under your own name elsewhere, even if it is still in the RoI.

But I am not a VAT expert.

Quote Originally Posted by Rafiki View Post
    I agree this is the safest route. You could just have it brought back to somewhere in Wales and then a marina invoice would prove that it was moved tax paid within the EU before the UK left.
    Will anyone actually care, though? I'm finding it hard to imagine who is going to examine every boat in Britain and ask their owners to prove where they were on B-day.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

I don't think I'm taking it for granted that the UK will actually leave the Customs Union, or whether that might happen at the end of this month.
    If we do leave then, a few used yachts are a bit of a detail in the short term, but in the long term the grip of bureaucracy tends to catch up.

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    Will anyone actually care, though? I'm finding it hard to imagine who is going to examine every boat in Britain and ask their owners to prove where they were on B-day.
    Like a house, it is when you come to sell that the paperwork may come under most scrutiny. The new buyer will want to be sure of the VAT status, particularly if the boat is worth a bob or two and/or the buyer is from Europe.
    If the boat is an inexpensive MAB sold locally perhaps less so.

It will probably turn out to bea 23’ boat worth a few thousand, and then no one really will care
    sabre 27 - Sarabande - Chichester

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    The owner or future owner may care, depending on whether he wants to take it out of the UK or not. Unfortunately, EU States tend not be be as lax as UK when it comes to examining paperwork trails, particularly if they see a chance to boost income.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham376 View Post
    The owner or future owner may care, depending on whether he wants to take it out of the UK or not. Unfortunately, EU States tend not be be as lax as UK when it comes to examining paperwork trails, particularly if they see a chance to boost income.
    But the paperwork will show that it has always been in Ireland ...
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast