Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: VAT: Buying In Europe Now and Collecting The Boat After 'B Day'.

Could you get it moved to Northern Ireland before the end of the month. then you could have the best of both deals.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister E View Post
    Could you get it moved to Northern Ireland before the end of the month. then you could have the best of both deals.
    How is that any different from moving to anywhere else in the U.K.? And how is this “best of both deals”?
    Should retain U.K. VAT status, but probably lose EU VAT status ?

Quote Originally Posted by duncan99210 View Post
    As I understand it, if a boat is EU VAT paid and outside UK on no deal B day, it will continue to be regarded as EU VAT paid. If it’s then brought back to UK, it will be regarded as an import and thus liable to VAT on arrival. However, there seems to be a loophole in that you should be able to claim returned goods allowance for it: that used to require having owned and used it overseas for a set period (used to be 2 years, then dropped to 18 months).

All of that is really speculation as no one seems to have a good read on exactly what’s going on. I’m still debating whether to bring my boat home from Greece or not. I need more certainty before making a decision.
    Duncan are you really that worried ? Look at it another way say the brown stuff hits the fan and there no deal. Taken your boat back say in a year or two time and berthing it in a marina who to know if the boat been out of the UK two years earlier or not ,
    I guess the only complication I see when the time comes to sell , but how many people going to view a boat come years down the line and ask for prove that the boat was in the UK in 2019 ?
    Then there the other side of the story , you take your boat back to keep it within the UK VAT rule and next year you put it up for sale , the buyer looking for a boat that's got EU VAT states , now his looking at reducing the price to cover the VAT in the EU .
    One way or another we can't win , like many other who's boat is in the EU I not losing any sleep over it. I banking it all get sorted out in the end and if not we find a way around this whole mess.
    Last edited by sailaboutvic; 10-10-19 at 02:56.
    Warning forumite dyslexia near by
    www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.

Vic, the debate is mainly in my head..... I do want to bring the boat back to UK at some point, there’s sailing we want to do here before we get too creaky. But we prefer the warmth of the Med..... But if we can only spend limited time out there, it’d be better to bring her home. But the Greeks may make it easy to stay longer. And so on and so forth. The VAT status is just another factor. I’d like some certainty but it looks like that’s not available at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by dunedin View Post
    How is that any different from moving to anywhere else in the U.K.? And how is this “best of both deals”?
    Should retain U.K. VAT status, but probably lose EU VAT status ?
    According to the politicians Northern Ireland would remain in both the EU and UK. Until the mess is finally sorted out.

I have no idea how this is supposed to work but a the moment probably the best bet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister E View Post
    According to the politicians Northern Ireland would remain in both the EU and UK. Until the mess is finally sorted out.

I have no idea how this is supposed to work but a the moment probably the best bet.
    I wouldn't believe any thing a politician says , especially has they got no idea what going on or what's happening .
    Warning forumite dyslexia near by
    www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

And in the meantime it's just an unsure situation.

I guess with a private sail there may be scope for 'flexibility' on the data of sale and I could actually get it on SSR this month as I have a UK address that I'm not resident at.

But its a naus. VAT on used boats. Brexit. All an absolute PITA. Yes, I know I'm resident in Saudi but it wasn't my idea to leave the EU (but that sermon is for a different forum).

Quote Originally Posted by photodog View Post
    And that is the million dollar question.
    That must be some boat if the VAT is a million dollars!
    My boat is for sale - ask me if interested.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123