Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EPIRB Q

Question EPIRB Q

hello all,

due to a dubious change of legislation down here, in order to validate (or rather re-issue) my VHF licence I need to have TWO bleeding VHF DCS units WITH GPS embedded. Yep, and that's on a private owned boat, NOT chartered! Funny thing is that my neighbour with a nice old westerly 28ft will also have to have two devices...

Means my trusty (and practically unused) Garmin VHF200 is no longer accepted.

Them being thick, the AIS600 transceiver which does have a GPS antenna and a distress button can be wired to it, is not accepted.
    I did buy a ICOM whatever which I'll have to install in the nice spot I'd left for the 7oies Sailor original VHF which now is in a shelf in my office (and gets strange looks from the students...)
    To make things worse, they wont accept a handheld device (which would be handy to have on the rib when going somewhere to communicate back to the boat). I guess there are no handhelds with embedded GPS, dunno and it's almost impossible to get a straight answer from these bureaucrats in Athens.

However I'm not happy buying a Garmin 215 VHF because I'll have to also scrap the wired second station installed in the f/b plus the exercise will cost me more than 600euro that i'm not happy to pay for a perfectly functional system.

So, I'm thinking of getting a cheap(ish) EPIRB with AIS/GPS/the works and be done with.
    The reason for the cheapish one is that really at 25C+ of water, no sharks or funny other animals, a decent rib and in mobile coverage, I really believe the whole thing is a joke and I'm not planning to spend much on this.

So, Q, is there something I should avoid, only found 5 models on sale here and they all seem to be from the same brand, cannot be right, must be more brands doing that stuff, right?
    Cheapest I found here is a MOB1 Ocean Signal 72252 for 275euro, which I guess is going to be scrapped in 5 yrs and a new one bought. Cannot replace batteries although I'm sure by the time the battery expires these idiots will bring another legislative act and ask for something more.

cheers

V.
    Last edited by vas; 08-10-19 at 09:16. Reason: doh AIS600 not 800...

Default Re: EPIRB Q

Get a proper ERIPB that can be ď serviced ď
    It will last ( as batts are renewable) .Thing is the service centres know how to charge .
    Mine was about Ä185 or was it Ä275 canít remember?
    It comes back with correct paperwork to show officialdom .Thats the crucial bit the paperwork behind it .
    Aside itís a nice thing to carry around ........you never know !!
    We have a PLB ad well so 2x the chance of a heli rescue .

Quote Originally Posted by Portofino View Post
    Get a proper ERIPB that can be “ serviced “
    It will last ( as batts are renewable) .Thing is the service centres know how to charge .
    Mine was about €185 or was it €275 can’t remember?
    It comes back with correct paperwork to show officialdom .Thats the crucial bit the paperwork behind it .
    Aside it’s a nice thing to carry around ........you never know !!
    We have a PLB ad well so 2x the chance of a heli rescue .

PLB batteries can be replaced as well.

Quote Originally Posted by petem View Post
    PLB batteries can be replaced as well.
    Yes I know P .
    I investigated DIY bat replacement as per U tube etc with the EPIRB , but what I actually was after was the supporting documentation.This comes back with it from from an official service centre .

As regards PLB if the ď service ď + documentation is around £185 or what ever , might as well buy a new one .
    Which is what VAS is thinking with his pricing , chuck it when the bat life allegedly expires as opposed to ď service ď with regards to a EPRIB .

Incidentally has anyone on here actually ripped a EPRIB or PLB apart and successfully ( as far as they know ?? ) done a DIY bat replacement.

Vaguely remember in a Sodís law kinda way thereís a multitude of different bats on E bay so the risk of getting the incorrect ones was high .

Was wondering if an invoice from a bat supplier ( once you have successfully navigated the correct bat dilemma ) would suffice with high handed officials?

But the ď service ď also includes a authorised test as well as documentation.
    So I guess the DIY route could be a false economy and bear a risk the thing might not work anyhow.

Hope I havenít stated an anchor thread debate

thanks guys

Farsco, I'll check with them if they accept it (very much doubt it!)
    Porto, yep, I actually need an annual inspection for the EPIRB and a certificate, so it's not that simple, will have to check also the cost of that and weigh it in...

cheers

V.

Quote Originally Posted by vas View Post
    thanks guys

Farsco, I'll check with them if they accept it (very much doubt it!)
    Porto, yep, I actually need an annual inspection for the EPIRB and a certificate, so it's not that simple, will have to check also the cost of that and weigh it in...

cheers

V.
    Well it’s a stand alone VHF DSC with internal gps......what more do they want!

It floats too but I haven’t tested that.....yet

Quote Originally Posted by FARSCO View Post
    Well it’s a stand alone VHF DSC with internal gps......what more do they want!

It floats too but I haven’t tested that.....yet
    if they'll accept it there's quite a few handhelds with in built GPS now...
    Never knowingly undersailed...
    http://hurley20sparrow.blogspot.com/

an update...

well, it's not that simple (as always)

when I first heard it in August, I was fuming and extremely annoyed as from past experience with Greek public sector and it's employees/servants assumed that some of the local dealers bribed some arse in the right ministry office and got a new order for embedded GPS receivers of VHFs and for good measure doubled the number of stations...

After half an hour on the phone with a v. helpful and polite person in the ministry, he explained that they simply have to adhere to EU regulation and that my Garmins are indeed compliant to directive 1999/5/EC, but now and since x months or something GR has to adhere to the newer legislation 2014/53/EC. (or 93 I scribbled it in a paper and not sure as there are docs for both...)
    He also explained that this in not really a GPS onboard issue but a series of things (downloaded the 100+ page document and closed it after the third page, bloody thing deals with ALL i MEAN ALL frequencies used from DECT home phones to anything imaginable) and I believe him.

The 2 stations or one station plus EPIRB is a rule for crafts over 12m, mine is registered as 12.95m

to make things worse, the cheap thing I asked is not an EPIRB but a Personal beacon whatever thing, so doesn't work either. Learned that PBL are registered to a person, EPIRB to an MMSI, so that's what I want.

So, either looking for the cheapest EPIRB in the market or I'll bit the bullet and go for a new garmin, rip half the salon upholstery to through in a new cable for the f/b station and fit a new GHS11 second station... Not at all happy for sure.

And farsco, nope they wont accept handhelds fullstop. BTW, the one you suggested declaration of conformity states 1999/5 and not the new one, I'd not be impressed if all handhelds don't do the 2014 directive though.

cheers

V.

You not selling continued EU membership to us :
    Sorry couldnít resist ^^^ .

Q - whatís the service regime of the EPIRB under the new directive ?

Currently I understand itís 5 years which is palatable and reasonable imho .Or was last Feb 19 when I had mine serviced.

As regards any Red ensign ( or any other funny colour UK ensigns hanging on the stern of forum members currently perched in the Med I wonder if this will ever be dusted down and applied rigorous from Brussels?

Foreign flag / safety

This argument regularly crops up. I think you need to read Uncloss 11 and other international agreements. The coastal State can impose whatever conditions it wants on vessels NOT on innocent passage. Portugal for instance requires pleasure craft there for more that 6 months to carry the same safety equipment as Portuguese registered ones although unlike a few years ago, it's rare these days for checks.

So your pain might be felt by few more

Suppose because other modes of transport like cars sold in the EU have safety gear standards I guess thereís an inevitability that mind set in Brussels will seep across ( think itís already thereís ) to boats .
    Not just the construction as now but expand into the safety gear .
    This is what we are seeing .
    If it can be retro fitted , away from the original factory.........why not ? Thatís what they are thinking .
    The boat stuff makes the car triangle, first aid kit , gilette jaun and bulb kit seem peanuts .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast