Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: EPIRB Q

Default Re: EPIRB Q

2014/53/EC is not new (clue is on the 2014 prefix).

Whilst this legislation may provide standards for EPIRB's etc, I doubt it includes the rules requiring such equipment to be carried (which I suspect are Greek law).

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by petem View Post

Whilst this legislation may provide standards for EPIRB's etc, I doubt it includes the rules requiring such equipment to be carried (which I suspect are Greek law).

Pete
    well, you may well be right Pete, as is Porto above.

Unless I'm mistaken (could well be, cannot spent my life reading legislative docs and I'm not even trained for that so cannot go through them quickly enough) the 2014 means nothing in terms of EU, it was DRAFTED back then, then put on open discussion and eventually ratified or whatnot in 18. I read that somewhere

V.

Quote Originally Posted by petem View Post

Pete
    No Pete it’s both .
    1+ the standard *
    2 + implementation of the directive......eventually . Laws , “ directive s “ cascade down from Brussels not sent up by member states .

Saw it in the 90 ,s with surgical instruments .
    They EU tend to settle on the gold standard of a process / way of manufacturing/ material / technology.Often regardless of cost implications.
    We used a bone cutter that had a brass thread bit on the hand piece .On to this you would screw your choice of cutting tip .
    Theses tips were made of S Steel .All Autoclave able ( goes in a sterilising machine )
    To get a powerful clean cut ,and quick it relies on the tip connectivity.Brass and SSteel bind nicely when torqued up by hand .One often would change tips several times during a case .
    One day a EU directive came down regarding changing the brass thread to titanium .Something to do with fatigue fractures eventually from multiple heat cycles sterilising and surgeons over tightening them .
    I never experienced any of this btw .
    The new hand pieces with titanium threads were 10 x the price .
    The old SSteel tips were incompatible in the sense you only found out at operation when you attached a tip and realised it not work .This is because the harder Ti unlike the softer brass could not bind enough with the SSteel tips .
    Often juniors would destroy ( expensive tip ) unknowingly by x threading it .
    Lists had to be cancelled .Patients you read about in the papers sent home .
    It ( duff tip,) would then appear unknowingly at the next procedure.
    New tips would suddenly fail in your hands because they would come loose because two hard metals cannot ever bind tight enough.Grr Argh .Bless EU directives .

Yes theoretically with a brass threaded hand piece a gorilla somewhere else in the EUncould snap a tip off , but coming out with the Ti threaded hand piece directive caused huge NET harm .

Spoke to suppliers / managers etc and like VAS got a loaf of EU “ directive “ Stuff back .
    Last edited by Portofino; 09-10-19 at 09:00.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12