Default Issues with DVB -T+FM +DAB and Open CPN

Has anyone out there successfully used one of these receivers ( type 820T2 & SDR ) to send AIS targets successfully to the OPEN CPN screen.The receiver is clearly working as it sends successfully to the Open Sea maps but shows nothing on OPEN CPN (in Dover Harbour).
    Setup is :
    Ships v.3.05
    Open CPN v. 5.0.2 (paid version)
    Tablet : Samsung Galaxy Tab A 2016 10.1 runnning Android 8.1.0 ( and Samsung 9.5 )
    Aerial for this preliminary test has been the stub provided with the receiver.
    OPEN CPN is running happily in other respects with cropped CM93 (mainly used locally for the anchor alarm) and the Dutch ENC charts.Charts are stored on SD card.
    127.0.0.1 and 10110 have been set as the import port.
    The OPEN CPN forum is being coy at present and won't activate registration or respond to email.
    Would appreciate any experience of similar setup.

Default Re: Issues with DVB -T+FM +DAB and Open CPN

I would start by putting aside all the chartware and getting AIS messages scrolling in as text, check their format and baudrate is what you need.

Any links to the gadget? Is it a USB dongle on a laptop? Nothing much on google.

The Opencpn android forum has always had problems to get logged onto, you could try asking on here and he's usually quick to sort it out >
    http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f134/

Last time I tried the R820T2 was a couple of years ago and I don't remember having any issues with displaying the data on OpenCPN.

I seem to think I just followed the information at the link below..

https://www.rtl-sdr.com/rtl-sdr-tuto...ship-tracking/

Quote Originally Posted by lw395 View Post
    I would start by putting aside all the chartware and getting AIS messages scrolling in as text, check their format and baudrate is what you need.
    Thank you.Interesting to try.
    What would I scroll the text messages into ?

Quote Originally Posted by GHA View Post
    Any links to the gadget? Is it a USB dongle on a laptop? Nothing much on google.

The Opencpn android forum has always had problems to get logged onto, you could try asking on here and he's usually quick to sort it out >
    http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f134/
    Err ,actually you suggested use of the dongle 'for less than a tenner !
    Thanks for the suggestion to use the cruisers forum.I see some related posts but none re. use on a tablet and with 'Ships' driver.So I will post there when?if I get activated.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin_J View Post
    Last time I tried the R820T2 was a couple of years ago and I don't remember having any issues with displaying the data on OpenCPN.

I seem to think I just followed the information at the link below..

https://www.rtl-sdr.com/rtl-sdr-tuto...ship-tracking/
    Thanks for the suggestion but instead of working up my own signals ( beyond me) I am using the VIDEOGRO 'Ships' driver app. ( and not the driver with the dongle ) that does that for me (hopefully).However I will try altering the priority/filter on the OPEN CPN input connection as mentioned in a post on that site.

If there is an incompatibility then I will be happy if someone tells me,but if not I would like to make it work.
    So back to Dover sea front.
    Last edited by bluerm166; 08-10-19 at 16:44.

Quote Originally Posted by bluerm166 View Post
    Err ,actually you suggested use of the dongle 'for less than a tenner !
    Thanks for the suggestion to use the cruisers forum.I see some related posts but none re. use on a tablet and with 'Ships' driver.So I will post there when?if I get activated.
    Oh *that* one
    RTL dongle.
    Doesn't seem to say much about sending nmea messages other than via udp. Is there a menu in ships to set the port?

https://blog.videgro.net/2017/01/ships/
    Secondary features
    Possibility to send the received NMEA data via UDP to other applications like OpenCPN.

Just installing now.....
    Hmm, dunno. you could try installing tcp/udp terminal in android and see if you can find anything.

Yes GHA thats the driver/ app used and Open CPN allows you to set up the UDP address and port.
    Not sure of the priority ,but have tried 1 and 2 .The latter allows 1 for the GPS.

Quote Originally Posted by bluerm166 View Post
    Thank you.Interesting to try.
    What would I scroll the text messages into ?
    On a PC, some sort of emu terminator. Sorry, Terminal Emulator, like 'Realterm'.
    Perhaps using a usb/serial port?, although the USB radio dongle can probably create a virtual port.
    You should be able to edit messages and see if you can make the chartware respond.
    There are Android Terminal Emulators.
    TBH Android is not my thing, I'd just check the radio bit was working and get the software kiddies to sort the tablet.
    Sorry if that's unhelpful.