Default Volvo Penta MDI Black Box D2 -55 problems ?

Hi Ive just had to replace the MDI black box on the Volvo D2-55 engine , starting had become erratic and it was diagnosed the box which receives the signals from the evc push button controller in the cockpit . It was a mere £500 plus for box only plus fitting . To add insult to injury , volvo have recalled later engine black boxes but not mine despite they are obviously faulty , My boat was first commissioned 2008 and has 750 eng hours , I mentioned to my friend who has same engine and sounds like he has same problem . both elan 434 , buts its a volve D2-55 control system fault .

Volvo arent interested !!!!!!.

Im trying to find out who else has had this problem .

Default Re: Volvo Penta MDI Black Box D2 -55 problems ?

Hi Mark
    I have had the same problem with the MDI unit on a D2 75 engine. The first failed and was replaced under guarantee, (I could show a video of it turning on theN just going off), the second one I replaced as it was out of guarantee (after 300hrs) so I bought it, but I wrote to Volvo with the details and they have agreed to replace it under a recall. Not got it yet.

Kind regards
    Brian
    INGA

Probably no consolation but I’m on my 4th unit, for a D2-40. All replaced free of charge under a recall. Apparently this last one actually solves the problem. We’ll see!

D1 30 installed 2017. On third box. Replacements were free of charge but I was not informed about any recall.