Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default French canals Calais to the Mediterranean

Hi all I am looking at cruising in my trader 41 from Calais to the Mediterranean next year and are wondering what are the best routes to take,the boat is 1.2 below water draft and 3.7 above air draft with the possibility of removing the flyscreen to the so called magical 3.5.can anyone help?

Default Re: French canals Calais to the Mediterranean

You mention the flyscreen but not the radar arch - is it hinged?
    We (Princess435) decided to go round the outside for a number of reasons, marginal airdraft being just one. As it turned out, the trip via Biscay was a fantastic retirement trip.

Have you seen these videos?

https://youtu.be/Ptgj2x6nhAI

Hi yes the radar gantry is hinged but I just wondered how stricked this 3.50mtr air draft is at bridges or tunnels.

Hi many thanks for that link but it doesn’t seem to answer my questions.

There are several books which deal with the infinate number of permutations regards getting to the MED from/to the channel coast
    Inland Waterways of France by IMRAY.ibsn 978-1846230141 covers most of what you need to know.
    Details of both air and water drafts on the various routes .Many comments regards silting on smaller canals.
    My copy gives the impression that it was compiled a few years ago but with updates, feel sure the basics are still valid.
    Two of our club members have done this journey, one, a Turbo 36, came back home by truck !
    Turbo 36 skipper encountered problems requiring major diversions due to flooding. (this was actually Mid Summer).
    His marginal airdraft vanished, meant waiting a few days for levels to go down or backtracking and going a different way.
    Last edited by oldgit; 09-10-19 at 06:50.

I looked At doing it about 10 years ago. At the time it was the opposite problem - lack of water.

I think it would be an amazing thing to do given time and decent weather.

Having said that I have hired boats on the upper Thames several time and helming at 5 kts or whatever all day is pretty tiring as unlike the sea you can’t just set a nice straight line and keep an eye on it !

Quote Originally Posted by prento1 View Post
    Hi all I am looking at cruising in my trader 41 from Calais to the Mediterranean next year and are wondering what are the best routes to take,the boat is 1.2 below water draft and 3.7 above air draft with the possibility of removing the flyscreen to the so called magical 3.5.can anyone help?
    Have a look at the Fluviacap tool. It is excellent and will really help you plan. You can enter your draft and air height and it will suggest routes and alternatives as well as giving you details about locks, estimated durations, etc.
    http://www.fluviacarte.com/en/fluviacap

Quote Originally Posted by prento1 View Post
    Hi yes the radar gantry is hinged but I just wondered how stricked this 3.50mtr air draft is at bridges or tunnels.
    Took a rented Le Boat Horizon 2 the length of the Canal du Midi and the Canal d Garonne earlier this year. Stated air draft is 2.90 m with a beam of 4.2 m. It was very, very tight on a few of the bridges (made contact with the lowest, Capestang). This thing was almost as wide at the top as at the waterline so tricky through a lot of bridges.

You would probably not get through Capestang with 3.5m air draft unless you are quite narrow up high. It's a long way back though if you get it wrong!
    Last edited by Jeannius; 09-10-19 at 17:52.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Blue View Post
    Have a look at the Fluviacap tool. It is excellent and will really help you plan. You can enter your draft and air height and it will suggest routes and alternatives as well as giving you details about locks, estimated durations, etc.
    http://www.fluviacarte.com/en/fluviacap
    will have look at that myself .

Modify your search Search results
    Main routes

Either your journey is too long (please reduce the distance between the departure and arrival ports).
    Or it is impossible by fluviale waterway.
    Or your boat is too broad.

Departure : Bourbourg
    Arrivals : Marseilles-lès-Aubigny
    Length (m) : 11
    Width (m) : 4
    Clearance (m) : 3.5
    Draught (m) : 1
    H,mmm ?????
    Last edited by oldgit; 09-10-19 at 19:35.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast