Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: French canals Calais to the Mediterranean

Quote Originally Posted by Jeannius View Post
    Took a rented Le Boat Horizon 2 the length of the Canal du Midi and the Canal d Garonne earlier this year. Stated air draft is 2.90 m with a beam of 4.2 m. It was very, very tight on a few of the bridges (made contact with the lowest, Capestang). This thing was almost as wide at the top as at the waterline so tricky through a lot of bridges.

You would probably not get through Capestang with 3.5m air draft unless you are quite narrow up high. It's a long way back though if you get it wrong!
    Obviously they did not take flybridge boats into consideration when building it

[QUOTE=oldgit;6935602]will have look at that myself .

Modify your search Search results
    Main routes

Either your journey is too long (please reduce the distance between the departure and arrival ports).
    Or it is impossible by fluviale water

I found that it can't cope with too long distances. You therefore need to break it up in shorter bits so you still need an overview map to see the various options. Still a good tool though and it is free!

Quote Originally Posted by stelican View Post
    Obviously they did not take flybridge boats into consideration when building it
    Probably the same outfit daft enough to build the castle at Windsor just down the road from a noisy airport ?

Broom owners club..... www.broomowners.com

...possible onward journey is merely a thought at present. "Plan" is to be going over to Dunkerque in May for the evacuation commemorations. and after that ?

Quote Originally Posted by oldgit View Post
    Probably the same outfit daft enough to build the castle at Windsor just down the road from a noisy airport ?
    I believe there is a plan to dig out the riverbed at the bridges with low headroom problem solved

Can I say that it’s not all sedate waterways. The mighty Rhone at full flow is a very scary thing But nonetheless many many people do it! While I’ve never done a full joined up trip, I have done a few canals and I will say, they are all incredibly beautiful and interesting
    Neither a Leaver or Remainer be

Hi thanks for reply,what was your air draft?

Quote Originally Posted by prento1 View Post
    Hi thanks for reply,what was your air draft?
    Well, I don’t remember. It was a 43 ft flybridge but it was made for the hire companies on the canals. I can tell you that we had to duck for every bridge and some (especially on rivers) were real squeakers. Unless you were tied up for a while it was never worth putting up the Bimini, even in the height of summer

Ps. Some of the many many locks are deep and scary. Make sure you and your spouse aren’t claustrophobic
    Last edited by Bouba; 11-10-19 at 15:55.
    Neither a Leaver or Remainer be

We went across to Le Havre in May school half term of this year. Dufton is 1.45m draft and 3.4m air draft and 4.2m Beam. We planned to go the "Bourbonnais" route to the Med as all the research I had done had suggested our air draft was too high for some bridges on the other routes and this was the quickest with least locks. We had an absolutely fantastic trip from Calais through Paris and onward down the Seine to St-Mammes (where we had to branch off on the Canal du Loing). My wife works in a school so we are limited to school holidays so left her there to recommence the journey in the summer. Unfortunately the journey from there was not as successful as the whole of Central France currently has severe drought with navigation completely stopped on many (now most) canals. We are currently stuck at Briare with no prospect of moving forwards or backwards at least until March of next year and then only if there is a massive amount of rain and snow over the winter months! In terms of dimensions, from our experience so far, you won't get very far at all with an air draft of 3.7m! You don't really have any option but to also go the "Bourbonnais" route but in any event you will need to check water levels for your draft and the general navigation situation before you commit!

For other preparations, I would highly recommend the Fluvicarte map guides. Oh, and make sure you have fresh-water anodes in case you get delayed!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12