Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: What is a fair rate for a marine engineer working in his workshop?

Quote Originally Posted by rszemeti View Post
    Labour £35 to £50 an hour for a competent marine engineer. Basically similar to what a garage charges, plus a bit of yacht tax.

I would imagine installation to be a two man job, perhaps taking a day (I assume you mean "re-installing it" not "installing it", a reinstall would be a day, a fresh install ... longer)

So, for labour 48 hours total, £1680 low end, £2400 high end, for the week, with two guys on the install day.
    If you come to my workshop then expect ~ £65 - 70 per hour. It is not just the man's labour you are paying for, but his overhead costs of running a workshop too. A good comparison here is what a decent local garage will charge, and for a senior engineer, not a trainee mechanic - not necessarily main dealer, but someone with a fine reputation.
    Interested in Corvettes PM me for details of the Corvette Motorboat Association

Thanks for all your help and information. I have had three other quotes and am taking it elsewhere. I will come back to this thread with final cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy32 View Post
    Thanks for all your help and information. I have had three other quotes and am taking it elsewhere. I will come back to this thread with final cost.
    Good decision, always wise to get more than one quote

It all depends on what is being changed, if its a like for like engine change you might do it in a day or two, But what if the engine beds need altering? or the coupling is warped or bent, shaft scored? stern gear worn out? How long is a piece of string?
    I have fitted quite a few engines & would check everything. You cant afford not to.
    The engineer has to pay the rent, buisness rates, insurance & all the other overheads. You should try it if its that good an earner.

Probably I'm missing something but I'm still not clear what work is being done.

The thread title " working in his workshop" and post #1 "working on my engine and installing it" doesn't tell us much apart from the fact that at some stage an engine is to be installed.

Is it a new engine? In which case the bench work will be making up engine beds, fitting couplings, making or modifying the shaft, etc.

Or is the existing engine having repairs done that necessitate it being taken to the workshop; after which it will be reinstalled?
    "Brexit: like watching a library being burned down by people who can't read"

Quote Originally Posted by superheat6k View Post
    If you come to my workshop then expect ~ £65 - 70 per hour. It is not just the man's labour you are paying for, but his overhead costs of running a workshop too. A good comparison here is what a decent local garage will charge, and for a senior engineer, not a trainee mechanic - not necessarily main dealer, but someone with a fine reputation.

our local engineers rates , and hes fing good DC8D0913-9F6F-4E7A-923F-BA1A9B595B6A.jpeg

Just Bare in mind your not guaranteed to receive a premium service just because your paying a premium rate. That said to balance the argument a tradesman has to cover all potential problems and has to ensure he can meet your expectations. He may not make anything if things don't go smoothly.

Steveeasy

At Malahide Marina, all boatyard services are charged at €75/hour; engineering, GRP woodwork etc., even the use of the workboat if your boat needs to be towed to the lifting dock.

I have just had a Beta 43 installed by SDS Engineering, Tyneside. It was an awkward tight fit with lots of snags and hiccups and they took up the challenge admirably.
    I had two timeserved marine engineers ( real ones..) and it was 40 each so £80 per hour. They got a lot done in one hour!
    I haven't totted up the bills but it was over £2k. I did the woodwork bits, replaced the skin fittings etc.
    I recommend SDS anyway, I can't imagine anybody doing a better job whatever it cost.
    I got lucky, most people don't have many engines professionally replaced very often, so it's hard to build experience of what to expect. I bet there are some messers and monkeys our there, as well as gems like SDS. You may not find out til it's too late.
    I used to keep tug, dredgers etc engines going at sea, and I am fussy about my old gaffer, and I was very impressed with these guys.
    "Now shall the gentleman haul and draw with the mariner"
    John Hawkins

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast