Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 33
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Me - Zumerzet Boat - Wareham
    Posts
    12,302

    Default HyDIME - The way for the future?

    The use of hydrogen directly injected into the fuel supply of one of the ferries, has now been funded by Innovate UK. The HyDIME project (Hydrogen Diesel Injection in a Marine Environment), which formally started on 1 August, has been granted £430,000 to design and integrate a hydrogen diesel dual fuel injection system. The 12-month project is intended to de-risk the technology, which will be globally unique during the life of the project.
    See HERE
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    South Oxfordshire, Gosport and Wellington New Zealand.
    Posts
    8,225

    Default Re: HyDIME - The way for the future?

    Quote Originally Posted by LadyInBed View Post
    The use of hydrogen directly injected into the fuel supply of one of the ferries, has now been funded by Innovate UK. The HyDIME project (Hydrogen Diesel Injection in a Marine Environment), which formally started on 1 August, has been granted £430,000 to design and integrate a hydrogen diesel dual fuel injection system. The 12-month project is intended to de-risk the technology, which will be globally unique during the life of the project.
    See HERE
    It is good to see a major polluter like diesel powered ships and ferries getting into ECO projects.

    Last week while in Southampton water we sailed close to a Natural Gas powered car transporter and the new larger Portsmouth/IOW car ferries are Hybrid technology.

    Of course, ECO technology existed long, long ago in the shape of sail only vessels.................................

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Colwell Bay
    Posts
    5,671

    Default Re: HyDIME - The way for the future?

    Innovate UK also funded this company https://www.bowmanpower.com/ to marinise their ETC technology for use on ships.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    South Oxfordshire, Gosport and Wellington New Zealand.
    Posts
    8,225

    Default Re: HyDIME - The way for the future?

    Quote Originally Posted by burgundyben View Post
    Innovate UK also funded this company https://www.bowmanpower.com/ to marinise their ETC technology for use on ships.
    Near where I reside when not on board or in NZ hanging out with the Grandchildren is a mile long stretch of GWR, parallel with the road. The railway and trains can clearly be seen from the road when driving.

    Earlier today I followed a long, heavily loaded goods train pulled by a single diesel engine.

    There was a dense cloud of black particulate laden smoke coming from the exhaust vents on top of the loco. It got heavier then slightly lighter, but never ceased until it was out of sight. Unless we fix old generation stuff like this we are pissing into the wind as far as very low emissions go.

    IMHO, of course.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    SW Scotland
    Posts
    19,658

    Default Re: HyDIME - The way for the future?

    There is no sensible way of producing hydrogen in bulk. Electrolysis is an inefficient waste of electricity and so most hydrogen comes from methane, which easier to handle and store.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
    Posts
    9,810

    Default Re: HyDIME - The way for the future?

    Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    There is no sensible way of producing hydrogen in bulk. Electrolysis is an inefficient waste of electricity and so most hydrogen comes from methane, which easier to handle and store.
    Exactly. This is a silly and pointless stunt.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
    Posts
    9,810

    Default Re: HyDIME - The way for the future?

    Quote Originally Posted by rotrax View Post
    It is good to see a major polluter like diesel powered ships and ferries getting into ECO projects.

    Last week while in Southampton water we sailed close to a Natural Gas powered car transporter and the new larger Portsmouth/IOW car ferries are Hybrid technology.

    Of course, ECO technology existed long, long ago in the shape of sail only vessels.................................
    ‘Natural gas’ (methane, CH4) is no sort of improvement unless you are just a NIMBY.

    The by-pass rate (% of fuel passing through the engine un-burned) is horrible and methane is a far worse greenhouse gas than carbon dioxide.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    1,730

    Default Re: HyDIME - The way for the future?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kukri View Post
    ‘Natural gas’ (methane, CH4) is no sort of improvement unless you are just a NIMBY.

    The by-pass rate (% of fuel passing through the engine un-burned) is horrible and methane is a far worse greenhouse gas than carbon dioxide.
    There is one human activity that causes more pollution than ships, cars,planes and trucks put together. It is of course eating meat. Most of the forest clearing is for planting animal feed or grazing. Even gorillas don't eat meat other than a few termites. It is an incredibly wasteful form of nourishment that our bodies are not even designed for. Why do us humans keep walking round the subject and playing about with things like hydrogen ?

    I'm trying to give it up. It's easier than giving up smoking
    It is never too late to have a happy childhood. Buy a boat.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Fareham
    Posts
    6,670

    Default Re: HyDIME - The way for the future?

    Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    There is no sensible way of producing hydrogen in bulk. Electrolysis is an inefficient waste of electricity and so most hydrogen comes from methane, which easier to handle and store.
    According to the OP's link there is a surplus of renewable energy on Orkney and

    “Having invested in an electrolyser to generate hydrogen from Eday’s tidal and wind resources, EMEC has been exploring various opportunities to support the development of a hydrogen economy on the islands. The potential for developing hydrogen powered vessels is one of the most exciting prospects, particularly given the number of carbon-intensive inter-island ferries located here. We’re really excited to be part of this project to create a ferry run on a carbon neutral fuel.”
    ۞

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Fareham
    Posts
    6,670

    Default Re: HyDIME - The way for the future?

    Quote Originally Posted by rotrax View Post
    ......the new larger Portsmouth/IOW car ferries are Hybrid technology.
    Despite the large "Hybrid" logos on the side of Victoria of Wight the system boils down to some large batteries which allow them to shut down the diesel engines in port.
    ۞

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to