Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: HyDIME - The way for the future?

Another possible stepping stone to 'the future' might be a Shell-developed product, GTL (Gas To Liquid). This is an alternative diesel fuel made from natural gas, burns cleaner than diesel and doesn't contain FAME. A friend in the industry tells me that its wholesale price is cheaper than diesel, too.
    https://www.shell.com/energy-and-inn...o-liquids.html
    Keep up to date with 'East Coast Pilot' at www.eastcoastpilot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cantata View Post
    Another possible stepping stone to 'the future' might be a Shell-developed product, GTL (Gas To Liquid). This is an alternative diesel fuel made from natural gas, burns cleaner than diesel and doesn't contain FAME. A friend in the industry tells me that its wholesale price is cheaper than diesel, too.
    https://www.shell.com/energy-and-inn...o-liquids.html
    When will Shell learn -_-. We're going to have to move away from those products, the problem is the emissions. It's not even a stepping stone it's just shell trying to cling to an old business model.
    Disclaimer: I am not an experienced sailor nor do I own a boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Luminescent View Post
    Further research, valve not installed properly. Of course, if you don't install things properly in electric pumps or petrol pumps...well, things go boom pretty quickly.
    Hydrogen is awkward stuff to handle for all sorts of reasons. For a start, the molecules are so light they'll diffuse their way through all sorts of things you'd think might be gas tight. If it does catch fire, the flame is invisible. And liquid hydrogen is horrible - by far the most dangerous of all the cryogenic gases. It used to be used a lot for intermediate cooling (20K) between nitrogen (77K) and helium (4.2K), not least because it has a far higher enthalpy of vaporisation than helium. However, most labs using it for this blew up with depressing regularity and by the time I was playing with cold stuff, almost thirty years ago, only Harwell (or maybe it was the Rutherford Lab) were still nominally equipped to use it - and that meant remote control and blast walls.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234