Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: What are these, aboard Skip Novak's boat?

We see them all the time in the Med for tieing back to shore when anchored. More secure and you can fit far more boats round a bay. We have two 100m polypropylene warps but haven’t yet attached drums so they come out of bags.

We have only one 100m polysteel stern line reel, but you can see us cruising around the med with it. And this year we've discovered that it is much smarter and easier to go bow-to with the shore line, in combination with a stern anchor, which is now on the other reel. Moving the rode from a box (the blue 20L plastic oil can with the top cut off you see on the right) to the reel was a major improvement.

The axle is a piece of anodized aluminium tube which I recycled from a broken water broom. It's suspended under the solar arch with bits of string, and the reels we got for free from chandleries, which usually throw them away once the rope is sold that came on them. The solar panels give some protection from direct sunlight.

Quite happy with this setup (at last - it took three iterations), although Skip Novak's twin reels near the mast are even better for shore lines.

North Wales, sailing Aegean Sea or Menai Strait

There are a couple of variations on these seen in the Med at http://coxeng.co.uk/anchoring/taking-lines-ashore/
    Answers to some technical queries at new website http://coxeng.co.uk

We tend to deploy one anchor off the bow roller, another from the dinghy and then set up as a 'V' and then run a shore line off the transom. We have a bridle made up, so that we can run off each transom with a common rope. Occasionally we would take a line from the amidships horn cleat to shore.

Having short lengths of chain (as indicated by Vyv) or strops splices at both ends - saves wear on the shore lines. We make strops from rope we find on beaches - its then recycled, sacrificial and beefy line is better for trees you might use..

If use of shore lines was more popular (and more accepted) then more yachts could squeeze into restricted anchorages - its quite alien in Oz (and I suspect in the UK - show me I'm wrong!)

People comment that if the wind changes and turns to be on the beam - then you need to move, or take more careful note of forecast.

Jonathan

North Wales, sailing Aegean Sea or Menai Strait

Quote Originally Posted by Neeves View Post
    If use of shore lines was more popular (and more accepted) then more yachts could squeeze into restricted anchorages - its quite alien in Oz (and I suspect in the UK - show me I'm wrong!)
    Jonathan
    It's having appreciable tidal range that makes shore lines difficult, unless you have the advantage of taking them to something that is floating, like icebergs! Shore lines mostly need to be kept fairly tight, easy in the almost tideless Mediterranean but around Wales, with tidal ranges anything between about 6 and 12 metres, I think I would not bother trying.
    Answers to some technical queries at new website http://coxeng.co.uk

Its easy to forget you have tides (as do we) but not round Sydney, 2m, and in many parts of Tasmania - measured in parts of a metre. Up north they have 'your' tides - 11m.

Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by dancrane View Post
    https://youtu.be/pjZVVstkdQU

Good vid, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by dancrane View Post
    Good vid, thanks.
    +1

The power of video.

It illustrates why people have long shore lines.

Personally I'm not keen on wire, under tension it might get locked under boulders and when a wire goes (and it would still be serviceable - they are lethal.

A good application to carry a few pitons, nuts (do they still call them nuts?) or offcuts of reinforcing rods and a hammer.

Jonathan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12