Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cockpit drains

Default Cockpit drains

Right now I'm trying to line up the steering pulleys. I got the pulleys adjacent to the quadrant chocked up and clamped. I think they are going to be fine.

IMG_1739.jpg

I'm now working out where the pulleys will go on the bulkhead but everything is in the way. I knew that as components were getting "cluttered" I would have to move them so they are just tek screwed in place.

IMG_1736.jpg

The white "hose" is the bilge blower ducting (There is another for the engine room blower as well). The vertical hose is the fuel filler, there's the exhaust going out through the side of the hull, one cockpit drain going out the side of the hull, the smaller (black) tube is for the bilge pump and the clear vertical tube is for the fuel tank breather. I am reasonably happy with that. But it is the other X3 cockpit drains which go out through the transom that I have to do something with (You can see them to the LHS of the photo)

IMG_1737.jpg

The experts say I shouldn't use right-angle elbows and the curves should be gentle but how do you do that and have a half decent/neat job? And how would you "locate" them in place?

I want to get the cockpit drains sorted out so I can position the steering pulleys. Any advice please?
    Last edited by coopec; 09-10-19 at 09:35.

Default Re: Cockpit drains

Coopec,

I looked at the images - but it was all too complex and too much detail in each image. You have had a lot of hits - maybe others are as simple minded as me (and also could not see the wood for the trees) - possibly a drawing/skethc might help.

Jonathan

I can't offer a complete set of answers, but....

..... it occurs that 2 of the 3 cockpit drain flexi-tubes ( close to horizontal and one supported by white string ) need support about every 600mm, or they're likely to work loose in a seaway - then the ocean comes in via the transom and floods the space in the pics.

.....it occurs that the exhaust tubing ( ? ) leading to the grey Vetus swan-neck needs to be ONE piece - not two joined by a short length of s/s - and double clipped..... or it, too, will come loose in a seaway and fill the space shown with hot water and engine exhaust.

You can purchase preformed bends for these tasks - e.g. here in UK, ASAP Supplies/dunno about Perth WA so look up their online catalogue for the shapes/specs, then hunt locally - or make them up in s/s, bur they MUST be really securely supported and clipped.

Thank you for your advice.

The cockpit drains going out through the transom will be clipped to a ply(?) plank.

The SS pipe near the outlet for the Vetus goose-neck is there for a very definite reason but the reason escapes me just for the moment. (When I get up in the yacht I will work it out) Maybe where I would put an exhaust temperature sensor?

I will definitely take your advice regarding preformed (gradual) bends),

When I look at photos of other cockpit drains none of them look very elegant.

Thanks

Me: Johannesburg South Africa Yacht: Richards Bay East Coast Africa

If I remember correctly you have centre cockpit. If so why take then through the stern You could take then straight down with a NRV flap type on the lower end.

If kept straight these could also be used for beaching legs.

You could also take the drains through the side crossing over.

I don't have cockpit drains as my aft cockpit is at the same level as the top of my transum soin effect an open cockpit stern.

My engine exhaust also exits on the port side not through the stern.

I would also reposition you fuel filters to make it easier to change the elements and check water level in the separator.
    Last edited by Rogershaw; 10-10-19 at 08:46.
    Life is too short not to have a sea view
    Distantshaws tinyurl.com/yclt6l68

Thanks Roger.

No I don't want to take the cockpit drains out though the bottom of the hull. I shudder every time I have to put another through-hull fitting anywhere. (I know I am probably being stupid)

Being center cockpit one side of the engine room is for a walkway to the aft cabin as well as where the fridge/freezer is. I did read about crossing over the drains but decided against it. (I'd do it if it was aft cockpit)

I'm happy with the way the cockpit drains as even in the heaviest of showers the cockpit drains well and water pours out the transom. I've also taken a drain out from just above the the cockpit seat so that if the yacht was pooped there would be X5 drains.

As far as the exhaust is concerned I have taken that out through the side of the hull as a lot of other builders of Mauritius yachts have. (I figure it is too risky to take it out through the transom as some have)

I don't follow what you mean when you say
    "I would also reposition you fuel filters to make it easier to change the elements and check water level in the separator.

I read a lot and went to a lot of trouble locating all the components very carefully. I thought I could change the elements very easily but I have never done it so I can't see the problem. Could you tell me what I should have done?
    Thanks Clive

Quote Originally Posted by Rogershaw View Post
    If I remember correctly you have centre cockpit. If so why take then through the stern You could take then straight down with a NRV flap type on the lower end.
    That's how they're installed on our centre-cockpit: straight down and parallel, out to sea via seacocks (no NRVs). Works faultlessly.
    All epigrams are false

Cockpit drains through the bottom of a center cockpit boat is simply glassing solid GRP tubes between the under side of the cockpit moulding and the hull inside. It becomes and integral part of the hull structure. If I had needed cockpit drains in my steel boat I would have welded stainless steel tubes between cockpit floor on the hull.

I have the very same filters and fitted mine above the tank level so they are easy to get to when sitting braces. I also positioned them so I can get a cut off plastic milk container under so any oil will drip into the temporary bottle.

I also fitted a drain tap in the bottom of the lower filter bowl and a quick connector on the top bleed point. Makes it a lot easier and cleaner.

I have also fitted a sediment trap/filter before the filter to catch any dirt/grit that may get into my tank. This can be cleaned without tools very quickly.

I need to take some more pics later in the week.

Why I suggested NRV is to stop any sea water sloshing up the tube when you drop off a wave.

Anchor hawse pipes can spray sea water quit high when the bow dips into a wave and is amazingly accurate at hitting the crew on the helm.

What do you mean by "so they are easy to get to when sitting braces?. Does that mean "when sitting on your haunches" ? (We don't speak Afrikaans in Australia)

If so I'll have to think about that as I was going to put a pulley in that vicinity.

Actually that just reminded me. About ten years ago I was working in Namibia and one of the local (black) employees came up to me and asked ( in barely recognizable English) Can we play some music while we work? I agreed but I was dumbfounded when they played ABBA, Englebert, Tom Jones, Marty Robbins, Sinatra, Bassey etc. They knew them all! But they wouldn't have a clue what the lyrics were!
    Last edited by coopec; 10-10-19 at 11:53.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast