Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Outboard Replacement

My faithful Tohatsu 3.5 was stolen over the weekend, so I need a replacement.

Its main use will be going a few hundred metres to the mooring and back, plus pottering around places like Newtown Creek and Chichester Harbour, pushing a 2.3m flubber. The old engine wouldn't quite get it on the plane, so I'm guessing that going down 1 hp wouldn't be a huge disadvantage

It seems that I have 4 options

1. Bite the bullet and buy a new 2.5-3.5 hp 4-stroke
    Advantages - No mixing fuel, warranty, reliability (I hope!). Air cooled could mean no need to flush after use, but noisy?
    Disadvantages - Expensive - pushes my budget close to breaking point, heavier than a 2-T

2. Look for a second hand 2.5 - 3.5 2-T
    Advantages - cheaper, lighter
    Disadvantages - Unknown history and reliability, but could get a limited warranty from a dealer.

3 New electric OB
    I know next to nothing about them, except that the Torqeedo range is way too much for me. Minn Kota and others are a lot more reasonable, but I presume I have to add a battery and a box to protect it. Any recommendations? What thrust would I need, and how much use can I expect from a battery that I'd want to carry, say, 85AH, so ~30AH usable to get a good number of cycles?

Your thoughts, comments and criticisms of my reasoning, please
    Steve
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Default Re: Outboard Replacement

Not what you had in mind but if you had a well-shaped rigid dinghy, rowing those distances would be not be a hardship.
    "Brexit: like watching a library being burned down by people who can't read"

"2. Look for a second hand 2.5 - 3.5 2-T
    Advantages - cheaper, lighter
    Disadvantages - Unknown history and reliability, but could get a limited warranty from a dealer."

Did you notice, Steve66 has a couple available in the For Sale section?

In a similar situation 5 years ago I bought a Suzuki 2.5 4 stroke. Light, quiet, reliable and economical.

5 years later it still starts first pull every May, having being left in a locker since September the previous year.

Only three caveats 1) fit a cheap inline filter, 2) drain down the carb through the easily accessed plug when leaving for several months, and 3) stick in a waste bin (I use an old cut off fender) and flush with fresh water before draining the carb.

Richard

Honda 2.3 every time. Air cooled and lovely-to-use centrifugal clutch. Unless you’re the sort of person that actually will flush your water cooled OB in fresh water after each use. In that case, go with Richard’s recommendation.

Honda 2.3. I've one for a very similar use as you, and would do a 'like for like' replacement were a scrote to have it away,
    Folkboat 'Stakkr' - Inverness - http://islandrov.wix.com/island-rov-web

I have a Tohatsu 3.5 four-stroke and a Suzuki 2.5 four-stroke, I also had a Honda 2 hp. The Honda was good and light and the centrifugal clutch was very convenient; the Tohatsu is a bit heavy but very robust.
    The Suzuki is very light (as light as a 2 stroke) and so far very reliable and has plenty of power; also, accidentally I left the Suzuki, the wrong way down for many hours and to my surprise the oil did not migrate to the carburettor and the engine started on first pull without any smoke from the exhaust.

Can you still buy new 2-strokes in the Channel Islands?
    Hit the road often enough and eventually it will hit you back.

probably on the wrong forum but my Mariner 3.5Hp 4 stroke is excess to requirements - I've had it from new and bought a Torqueedo to prevent severe tennis elbow recurring! Works fine unlike my elbow, would accept a reasonable offer! Am based in S Wales & Dartmouth

Quote Originally Posted by BobnLesley View Post
    Can you still buy new 2-strokes in the Channel Islands?
    http://mainbrayce.co.uk/two-strokes-still-available/

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast