Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Outboard Replacement

Quote Originally Posted by nestawayboats View Post
    at the very least if say you were to purchase one in the Channel Islands and bring it back to the UK this is a "grey area" that doesn't comply with the spirit or intent of the 2006 law
    I think it's fairly clear that you'd be required to declare it to Customs on return to the UK, mostly to pay duty and VAT but also in theory to check compliance with regulations as the importer. Also pretty clear than none of Mainbrayce's UK 2-stroke customers are planning to do that, but it's not really a grey area so much as a bit of low-key victimless smuggling.

As far as weight's concerned, I don't have a sump, but yes I do have a litre or so of petrol in the tank. On the other hand, I launch and recover the dinghy with the engine already fitted - far easier and more convenient to install it on the foredeck than dangle it precariously over the rail. So maybe I should be comparing against a Torqeedo with battery already installed?

To be clear, I've nothing against good electric outboards in applications where they make sense. I am sceptical of cheap ones, though, and can't afford a good one

Pete

We went electric. Not Torqueedo but instead the excellent ePropulsion Spirit 1.0.

I can not recommend it highly enough. Quiet, smooth, easy to control, several hours of use from one charge, rechargeable from 12V on the boat, separates into two pieces for carrying, battery floats if you drop it into the water.

At the time I bought it (from Nestaway) it was slightly cheaper than a Torqueedo, quieter and had a bigger battery. Torqueedo responded with their newer model so maybe less difference but the ePropulsion ergonomics still win for me.

The whole family love it. It has effectively replaced a Mercury 3.3 2-stroke and a Tohatso 9.8 4-stroke, so much so that we did our entire 2 week summer cruise in Devon/Cornwall with only the Spirit electric.

Wondering what to do with the two petrol outboards now. So glad to finally be free of petrol on board.
    Boogeying, head down, in mindless, no-nonsense sort of way

Faced with the decision of replacing a Mercury 3.3 over winter. Looked at SBS at small OB and was minded to look for deals on a Yamaha in the 4, 5 or6 range but reading this on e motors maybe an epropulsion spirit might be a comparable price?

I have 2 mariner 3.3 2 strokes and a torquedo 1003 with the older C500w/hr battery.

Use the torquedo all the time. With more use I no longer have range anxiety. Would love the bigger battery. Also want to get a folding 80w solar panel to charge it. I lnow torquedo do a panel, but has anyone see the price?!?

Quote Originally Posted by ashtead View Post
    Faced with the decision of replacing a Mercury 3.3 over winter. Looked at SBS at small OB and was minded to look for deals on a Yamaha in the 4, 5 or6 range but reading this on e motors maybe an epropulsion spirit might be a comparable price?
    Call Nestaway and have a chat, they’re very helpful. I believe you can even go down and try them out. They do both Torqueedo and ePropulsion so you can try both and they’ll give you a balanced opinion.

They cost more than the equivalent petrol but imho well worth it in terms of aggravation saved.

Quote Originally Posted by prv View Post
    I think it's fairly clear that you'd be required to declare it to Customs on return to the UK, mostly to pay duty and VAT but also in theory to check compliance with regulations as the importer. Also pretty clear than none of Mainbrayce's UK 2-stroke customers are planning to do that, but it's not really a grey area so much as a bit of low-key victimless smuggling.
    Does anyone declare anything to customs? When I spoke to Mainbrayce last year, they strongly advised not to collect one and take it back to UK via France as they said it would be seized by French if spotted. The restrictions on non-compliant 2 strokes, as far as I could find out, ban the sale for leisure use within the EU, not a restriction on ownership of one purchased elsewhere. Strange that new small Chinese ones still appear openly on ebay. For commercial purchase, the dealer and UK importer require proof of commercial use (trade invoices etc) and declarations signing on business letterhead that it won't be used or sold on for leisure use.

Quote Originally Posted by gregcope View Post
    I have 2 mariner 3.3 2 strokes and a torquedo 1003 with the older C500w/hr battery.

Use the torquedo all the time. With more use I no longer have range anxiety. Would love the bigger battery. Also want to get a folding 80w solar panel to charge it. I lnow torquedo do a panel, but has anyone see the price?!?
    We charge ours off the ships battery - fast charter via an inverter - so the main solar panels do the job. As the batteries go into float by 11am most days we do our main charging during the afternoon - once every few days.

Quote Originally Posted by RupertW View Post
    We charge ours off the ships battery - fast charter via an inverter - so the main solar panels do the job. As the batteries go into float by 11am most days we do our main charging during the afternoon - once every few days.
    Do similar with the 12V charger on board.

However we usually "go somewhere" Like the beach / short (think Alderney), leave if for a long while and hence could be charging when away from the mothership!

Quote Originally Posted by gregcope View Post
    Do similar with the 12V charger on board.

However we usually "go somewhere" Like the beach / short (think Alderney), leave if for a long while and hence could be charging when away from the mothership!
    Yes we use the 12V charger for that too - one less conversion efficiency loss. Agree about the folding solar panel for days spent lounging on the beach or whatever, but they are stupidly expensive. Since you can charge it from any low voltage source I reckon the better bet is a secondary (cheaper) LiOn battery which you just cable in to the main battery using the 12V charger. You can leave it plugged in while you’re using the Spirit, effectively just giving you a bigger total battery capacity, o4 just use it as a backup if you need it.

Actually, if we’re going ashore and know we’re going to be near civilisation we take the 230VAC charger and lift the battery off, then charge it in a pub or cafe or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by prv View Post
    Also pretty clear than none of Mainbrayce's UK 2-stroke customers are planning to do that
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham376 View Post
    Does anyone declare anything to customs?
    No?

Pete

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast