Default Inverter - what does 2 X 1000w mean

I run a watermaker with a 1hp low power start up motor off a Honda generator. I see others use inverters when they are motoring and the batteries are full and that seems a good idea.

Looking at Silverline inverter - 2000w (with 4000w for 1 second) - which seems very cheap at £150. It says, though, 2 X 1000w. What does that mean? You can't get 2kw from one output socket?

Default Re: Inverter - what does 2 X 1000w mean

Depends on your voltage.

Amps * Volts = Watts

Most plugs tend to limit their amps to about 13. So.... 13 * 240v = 3120w of course, depending on your wiring you could probably exceed that.
    Disclaimer: I am not an experienced sailor nor do I own a boat.

Quote Originally Posted by dgadee View Post
    I run a watermaker with a 1hp low power start up motor off a Honda generator. I see others use inverters when they are motoring and the batteries are full and that seems a good idea.

Looking at Silverline inverter - 2000w (with 4000w for 1 second) - which seems very cheap at £150. It says, though, 2 X 1000w. What does that mean? You can't get 2kw from one output socket?
    Best guess is that the box has two 1kW inverters each with their own socket.

Contacted supplier who said, "The inverter is rated for 2kW output from either socket. It should run your pump if it is soft start."

Seems very good value.