Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Default Re: Buy the biggest boat you can or buy small and sail longer?

"I couldn't possibly comment!"

Quote Originally Posted by Kukri View Post
    "I couldn't possibly comment!"
    21 years soon pass, seems like yesterday. Er.....

I don't think many would choose a 26ft boat for the kind of stuff you have on your list ross. The good news is that I don't think you need to go that small to get yourself a very useful boat - provided you are willing to do stuff yourself.
    Rivals have been mentioned but check this Sadler 32 out:

https://www.theyachtmarket.com/boats_for_sale/1749894/

It looks in nice order, asking just under 13 grand. This would leave you room for new sails if needed, plus the other bits as required. Don't look for the perfect boat, look for a good one at the perfect price.

Personally I prefer the Sadler 25s/26s to the 29, but all are good boats, though not remotely ideal for long distance.

Don't spend all your money on purchase: leave some for "sorting out". Look at (as others have said) look at Rival 32s, Nich 32s - you can get a very good example of either well within your budget. Also look at 1970s/80s half-tonners and 3/4-tonners: for example a UFO34 is a genuinely fast and spacious boat for really not a lot of money. On a less racy level an older Moody 33 is a very comfortable caravan that is not actually quite as slow as it looks.

Whatever you buy, choose a good example, not a fixer-upper. Cruising is already enough of a "repairing boats in exotic places" game without starting with a duff one.

Are the Sadler 26/29/32's not bluewater boats? I really like the look of them and the double-foam seems like practical, in terms of keeping warm/cool and noise isolation (important for living aboard). For me, the bigger boats give me anxiety - at my local marina, the difference between mooring a 26 and a 32 is nearly a thousand pound a year, which is quite a lot. When people say 32's are better- is it just simply a question of having more space/comfort? Or are bigger boats better at sea? I've been reading about a lot of solo-handed sailors and the ones like me - i.e. setting out without much exp/money - all seem to sail 26fters.

Thanks again!

Sadlers are good but there many other makes too; there is a nice Dufour 29 on ebay at the moment for £10.5k.

If it's just you, I'd be looking at a 26 footer, unless there was cash coming in regularly in the future to keep running it and fixing it. Everything you do to it with it will just be so much cheaper. I have one of the westerly 31's suggested, a longbow ketch, and it's great. It was also a real bargain. But If i was going away cruising for long periods, I would be quite happy to go in something smaller, like a vega.

I'd rather spend my money on beer or cruising longer than berthing fees and fixing things.

Whatever you do, do not buy anything that leaves you skint, as you WILL need to spend a lot more money than you thought on it.

Having said that, I would be tempted by the sadler doug linked to were I in your shoes

Some have mentioned the ketch compared to a bermuda rig. Would one be better for the Op than the other? (Might narrow things down for them).
    Disclaimer: I am not an experienced sailor nor do I own a boat.

One step would be to read this. Twice

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Outfit-Sail.../dp/B00638SJII

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast