Page 1 of 13 12345611 ... LastLast

Default Buy the biggest boat you can or buy small and sail longer?

Hey all,

Here's an example; if you had a budget of 25k tops, but this was every penny you had to your name, would you be looking at 26ft boats for 10-12k, or larger boats at around 18-21k? If you;

• Were thinking of crossing atlantic
    • Cruising the med
    • Living aboard
    • Learning how to sail
    • Were mostly sailing solo.

I really like Sadlers - there's lovely 26fter not far from me, but also down south, some lovely 29'ers, but the price difference between a well maintained, upgraded 26, and 29 is about 10 grand.

I've heard some people say buy the best/biggest you can afford, as you'll only be upgrading later, or others say buy small because there a lot of dreamboats up for sale because the owners ran out of money. I'd be curious to hear the advice and experience of the forum on this

Thanks,
    Ross

Default Re: Buy the biggest boat you can or buy small and sail longer?

26ft is pretty small for cruising, how many are you expecting to live aboard?
    sabre 27 - Sarabande - Chichester

Just me, mostly

You can find some nice older boats 80's 32ft for about 10k. For cruising is nice to have 32ft plus. Thre are many boats for sale at the moment.

For a live aboard bigger is better.
    If you have the skills then a fixer upper is the way to bigger.
    My 48 footer ketch was 20K, sure I have put many hours in as well as extra cash to update systems, but now have a RTW yacht with all the comfort and space I need.

But parking/maintenance is quite a lot higher no? I don't have many skills................

In your shoes be buying something older and less fashionable, especially if crossing the Atlantic is your aim - Something like a Rival 32 for circa £10k or a Westerly 31 (pentland/renown/berwick/otherone) or outlier the Sigma 33. Cheap and bombproof but decent internal space.

Consider the cost of sails, running & standing rigging and engine replacement when looking for the *best* one

21 years on a Moody 33 now.

Four transatlantics. As you do.

You need to do some serious budgeting about running costs.
    'Cruising the Med' will get through quite a lot of cash.
    Crossing the Atlantic, the 20 days you're under way can be quite cheap, but even if you spend the minimum time overthere and come back ASAP, you'll be a few grand lighter.

I'd guess if you spend £20k on buying, fettling and maintaining a boat, you'd be lucky to get half of it back after a couple of years?
    I'd not be happy owning a yacht if I couldn't find at least a couple of grand if needed. There are a lot of things which can go wrong.

I know someone who lived on a 26 footer for a few years. He was fine in the summer, but got a bit stir crazy in winter (UK). He got a 32 ft Ferro boat which was great as a liveaboard, and the extra space made all the difference, but it sailed like the brick privy it was.

There's a sweet spot between the bigger the better for living aboard and the smaller the better for single handing, and maintenance and parking costs. If you're serious about crossing the Atlantic, bigger isn't necessarily better, especially singlehanded. I'd far rather have a Vancouver 27, for instance, than a much bigger marina hopper, but the marina hopper would give more space. A quick look suggests there are a few Vancouvers about in your price range, though the cheaper ones are likely to need more fettling. That isn't a problem as long as it's only fettling and not a major restoration, which would eat up all your capital and come back for more.
    Steve
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Page 1 of 13 12345611 ... LastLast