Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Default Re: Buy the biggest boat you can or buy small and sail longer?

Quote Originally Posted by steve yates View Post
    Whatever you do, do not buy anything that leaves you skint, as you WILL need to spend a lot more money than you thought on it.
    Yes exactly this; I can live in a small space - used to living in tents! I won't bore everyone with my life plans but hoping to go sailing, possibly even around the world, but on a limited budget (i.e. time rich cash poor). If I raised 30k, I'd ideally need some for the boat, some for upgrades, and the rest as a reserve and for the trip (edit; I'd work too each year, but wouldn't earn a great amount of money, and would be living on the cheap, i.e. 8-12k a year).
    Last edited by ross84; 10-10-19 at 17:22.

Quote Originally Posted by GHA View Post
    One step would be to read this. Twice

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Outfit-Sail.../dp/B00638SJII
    Thanks, I will

Quote Originally Posted by ross84 View Post
    Yes exactly this; I can live in a small space - used to living in tents! I won't bore everyone with my life plans but hoping to go sailing, possibly even around the world, but on a limited budget (i.e. time rich cash poor). If I raised 30k, I'd ideally need some for the boat, some for upgrades, and the rest as a reserve and for the trip (edit; I'd work too each year, but wouldn't earn a great amount of money, and would be living on the cheap, i.e. 8-12k a year).
    Just curious..What is your sailing experience?
    There is Shrimpy, a 17 odd foot ply boat sailing RTW way back. But the sort of reception he got at far away places was way different to what you might expect now, because it was exceptional and life was simple, back then. Now, you are likely to viewed as a well heeled bloke who can afford to be charged good money to stop off in their space.
    FWIW, The 27ft boat ( a Trapper) I have been helping with, would be enough to go distance alone, or even with another.
    Also, I read, in PBO?, an account of a young couple who sailed a 20ft Plywood French design from Brittany to Tahiti, via the Panama Canal. No engine and limited electrics. Made it OK.
    Last edited by DownWest; 10-10-19 at 17:44.

Lived/worked on yachts for a few weeks, been on them once or twice on as a tourist, other than that ...

I am just about to book myself in for intensive RYA CC + Day skipper though!

Lived/worked on yachts for a few weeks, been on them once or twice on as a tourist, other than that ...

I am just about to book myself in for intensive RYA CC + Day skipper though!
    Right.. So buy a really cheap, as in give-away, 20ft grp boat and do a bit of sailing around your bit of coast. After some time of the nuts & bolts of doing it for yourself, re-think what you want.

Chalk & cheese quite frankly. Ive a smallish boat, and can do pretty much anything with her apart from have a shower. she will take me anywhere. Id love a 40ft liveaboard, but that's about all I could do with one. Id not be able to pop out for a day sail, id struggle in close quarters single handed, Every extra foot costs you more money in every possible way..

You really need to know realistically what you want to do. If you really want to cross the Atlantic, its more important to get a boat that can handle almost anything the weather throws at it, rather than if its got a shower. Sail Area/displacement ratio. compare boats on sailboatdata.

Steveeasy
    Last edited by steveeasy; 10-10-19 at 18:52.

Quote Originally Posted by Luminescent View Post
    Some have mentioned the ketch compared to a bermuda rig. Would one be better for the Op than the other? (Might narrow things down for them).
    No. More complexity and cost on a smallish boat.

26' is big. At least, it is when all you have known is 22'. We cruised with two children in a 26 for 15 years quite happily, but actually anything much less than 30' is small except for a couple of weeks or so. What matters in terms of cruising ability is waterline length, which is why many of the Westerlys were successful in spite of their lack of glamour.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Or are bigger boats better at sea?
    Generally, all other things being equal, a larger boat is more comfortable and safer at sea. (Some great articles in Yachting Monthly analysing the problems suffered by boats on the Golden Globe Race are worth a read for the scientific reasons.)

However a good small boat can do long voyages if the skipper is experienced and skilled. And a boat over 12m starts to get expensive for mooring and running costs.

It does seem to be that boats around 10m (32 feet) start to feel more substantial at sea than smaller boats.

DownWest, that sounds far too sensible

I guess I should get my Day Skipper at least, and then maybe view more yachts (only seen a Sadler 29, and Tempest so far, I thought that both were totally 'livible' assuming you could get hot water, heating, and a shower in there).

Cheers

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast