Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Cruising CORFU (long)

The area I referred to on the north east tip of Corfu - where a reef extends into the sea marked only by a gantry has an interesting story attached.

We were told that some years ago a brand new super yacht owned by a French mega store millionaire was in the area. The owner had been sailing to the south of Corfu and needed his yacht in Cannes the next night – he flew. The crew, in the night, ploughed the brand new yacht up the channel between Corfu and Albania, in a rush, unaware and missed the light completely. They cut the corner and ground to a shuddering halt right on the reef – the yacht was written of I am told - gold bathroom fittings and all.
    You really only know - when you know little. Doubt grows with knowledge.

We noticed that Serpa Reef is very well marked on the charts when we sailed round the reef a couple of times in 2014. If one hits it, one is not paying sufficient attention.

By the way, we found ourselves resident in Thomas's Place when we were anchored in Kalami Bay for a few days. We never felt the need to try anywhere else.

Richard

Very nice report, thanks.

Another place Ive delivered a yacht to, had time for a meal and then off to airport first thing in the morning so especially nice to see the pictures!

Quote Originally Posted by capnsensible View Post
    Very nice report, thanks.

Another place Ive delivered a yacht to, had time for a meal and then off to airport first thing in the morning so especially nice to see the pictures!
    Ah well you see...................someone has to do it - ( need anyone to carry your bags?)

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    We noticed that Serpa Reef is very well marked on the charts when we sailed round the reef a couple of times in 2014. If one hits it, one is not paying sufficient attention.

By the way, we found ourselves resident in Thomas's Place when we were anchored in Kalami Bay for a few days. We never felt the need to try anywhere else.

Richard
    Yes it is marked well on the charts, (I always have one on deck) - I spotted it and it wasn't me that hit it!

Those on the super yacht were obviously not so attentive.

You have to admit thought that there is temptation in waters like these, in good weather, to navigate by eye.

Nice account. Thanks for taking the time to post.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny_Labrador View Post
    Yes it is marked well on the charts, (I always have one on deck) - I spotted it and it wasn't me that hit it!

Those on the super yacht were obviously not so attentive.

You have to admit thought that there is temptation in waters like these, in good weather, to navigate by eye.
    Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest that it was you.

You're right with your last point. In my experience blue skies, blue seas and hot weather do tend to go along with a laid-back, relaxed attitude .... which can quickly bite you in the bum if you're a little bit unlucky.

Richard

You're right with your last point. In my experience blue skies, blue seas and hot weather do tend to go along with a laid-back, relaxed attitude .... which can quickly bite you in the bum if you're a little bit unlucky.

Richard
    Yes I navigate by eye and rarely look at charts on passage - but I have retained enough old habits to check on all obstacles before setting out.

Richard

Thank, a nice post that brought back memories of chartering, out of Gouvia over twenty years ago, a Cobra 850, "Kyma".

At that time, we were advised to avoid the northeast channel with Albania which was then regarded as being pretty lawless with occasional armed robberies in Corfu hotels by gangsters on fast RIBs.
    Ω

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast