Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paint Stripper

Default Paint Stripper

I have to remove paint off of the table in my new acquisition, I suspect it's Woodstain or a variation, does anyone have a suitable suggestion, I understand that a great deal of products on the market are similar to the garden centre roundup, useless

Default Re: Paint Stripper

Caustic soda
    "Brexit: like watching a library being burned down by people who can't read"

Quote Originally Posted by banger View Post
    I have to remove paint off of the table in my new acquisition, I suspect it's Woodstain or a variation, does anyone have a suitable suggestion, I understand that a great deal of products on the market are similar to the garden centre roundup, useless
    Polyurethane wood finishes are difficult/ impossible to remove with chemical paint strippers otherwise as suggested caustic soda based strippers are generally the most effective

Roundup is probably very poor as a paint stripper.... its a weed killer. and a very effective one

I've found this stuff as good as the older formula Nitromors. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Paint-Rem...sAAOSwaM1bYBON

Quote Originally Posted by anoccasionalyachtsman View Post
    I've found this stuff as good as the older formula Nitromors. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Paint-Rem...sAAOSwaM1bYBON
    ITYWF that it is dichloromethane based like the old Nitromors.

It is toxic , an ozone depleting substance and its use other than in indudtrial paintstripping plant is illegal

I know roundup is a weedkiller Vic but the modern variety is no good, I think after the American Court case they altered it, that's why I used it as an example.

Quote Originally Posted by VicS View Post
    ITYWF that it is dichloromethane based like the old Nitromors.

It is toxic , an ozone depleting substance and its use other than in indudtrial paintstripping plant is illegal
    Well that brought me up short Vic! I've had a bit of read though, and its problem seems to be that it's not very good for a careless user. I do use it 'industrially' and only outdoors or with proper respiratory protection. The Ozone depleting bit puzzles me though, because good ol' Wiki mainly disagrees?

Quote Originally Posted by anoccasionalyachtsman View Post
    Well that brought me up short Vic! I've had a bit of read though, and its problem seems to be that it's not very good for a careless user. I do use it 'industrially' and only outdoors or with proper respiratory protection. The Ozone depleting bit puzzles me though, because good ol' Wiki mainly disagrees?
    You are right I thought it was covered by the Montreal protocol but it isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by VicS View Post
    Polyurethane wood finishes are difficult/ impossible to remove with chemical paint strippers otherwise as suggested caustic soda based strippers are generally the most effective

Roundup is probably very poor as a paint stripper.... its a weed killer. and a very effective one
    I am about to embark on stripping a lot of old varnish in the saloon of a recently purchased boat. I looked in previous threads and found STRIPPERS.
    www.stripperspaintremovers.com

I have received a Stripper 4-A Trial pack. Going to try it next week

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom35 View Post
    I am about to embark on stripping a lot of old varnish in the saloon of a recently purchased boat. I looked in previous threads and found STRIPPERS.
    www.stripperspaintremovers.com

I have received a Stripper 4-A Trial pack. Going to try it next week
    It is caustic soda based.
    I note only suitable for solid wood, not veneered surfaces.
    Hopefully your varnish is not polyurethane

Dont get any splashes on you. and do not risk getting any in your eyes at all Use gloves, and goggles or preferably a full face shield. A plastic apron, or the old oilies you use when scrubbing off and antifouling , would be good
    Have a water supply available in case of mishap, an emergency eyewash would be good but I you will not, on your own, be able to open your eyes to flush them!.

Give thought as to how you will safely dispose of waste.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast