Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Tides in The Looe at Selsey Bill

I was thinking of going into Brighton this year but when I phoned they said not between 1 and 2 hours either side of Low Water.

The sooner they buy their own dredger the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Daedelus View Post
    I was thinking of going into Brighton this year but when I phoned they said not between 1 and 2 hours either side of Low Water.
    If you arrive from Portsmouth within 2 hours of low water you're either a hardcore sailor who never uses the engine and you lost wind or you've got your tide planning wrong. The OP mentioned potentially punching the last of the ebb at Selsey Bill and you'd have to have to make pretty poor progress in a 37' boat to end up arriving within 2 hours of low water.

I believe the relative tide question has been answered and the OP has probably already been been and gone although it surprised me that reeds says max speed in the Looe at springs is only 2.5kn. I have memories of looking at selsey bill for several hours when arriving early once but that may have been a day lacking in wind.

Similarly I recall the owers being *much* further and a route I've only taken when wind angle has prevented a direct route through the looe but measuring it on the chart it seems XDC's navionics estimate of two and a half extra miles is roughly right.

I think I've expressed my views on how the terrors of the Looe tend to be exaggerated on here before. Regarding wind over tide, an easterly gale at this time of year would be unusual and if there was one forecast I'd probably try not to go.

When planning a trip from Portsmouth to Brighton don't forget to factor in wind angle. A south westerly may be just dandy up to Selsey bill but thereafter can be awkwardly dead astern.

Thanks for all the responses. There are some really helpful comments from people who are familiar with that stretch of water. I'm actually looking at setting out this coming weekend, and it seems like the biggest factor is going to be the weather. I can't see us getting to The Looe much before HW Dover +4.5 so punching the last of the ebb with the engine might be preferable to going south of the Owers.

I can't see us arriving arriving around LW with the timings I've been looking at. Nevertheless, we have a draft of 1.85; how close to LW can we safely get into the marina? I will of course check with the HM if we're arriving on the falling tide in the dark!

Quote Originally Posted by Daedelus View Post
    Reeds reckons transit Looe at about slack water (HW Portsmouth +0430) and carry the tide to Dover. From my experience going round the outer route ie S of the Owers SCM adds about 10m to the journey.
    ]
    I know what you are saying re. carrying the tide to Dover (and therefore good for Brighton.)
    But what Reeds actually says re the Looe channel is the East going flood runs from HW Portsmouth +0430 until HW -0130 (or Dover HW +5 until -1hr). So from 7.20 am until 1.40pm on Saturday.
    On Saturday Brighton's HW is 14.50 so with an early dawn start you have absolutely no problems. At this time of year I used to sail back to Shoreham from Chichester and always used an afternoon high tide to dictate which weekend to go. It is this one, or wait two weeks. Hope the weather is good for you (looks alright at the moment), wind on the stern.... .

Quote Originally Posted by bdh198 View Post
    Thanks for all the responses. There are some really helpful comments from people who are familiar with that stretch of water. I'm actually looking at setting out this coming weekend, and it seems like the biggest factor is going to be the weather. I can't see us getting to The Looe much before HW Dover +4.5 so punching the last of the ebb with the engine might be preferable to going south of the Owers.

I can't see us arriving arriving around LW with the timings I've been looking at. Nevertheless, we have a draft of 1.85; how close to LW can we safely get into the marina? I will of course check with the HM if we're arriving on the falling tide in the dark!
    Expect up to about 2knt of tide around Boulder and Street this weekend. You should have wind with tide so should be OK. Last time I sailed from Brighton back to Chichester it was SW5 and I went round the Owers to avoid the Looe with wind against tide. It was long, frustrating and I didn't particulalrly enjoy it. Every other boat went staright through the Looe Channel.

You should not be arriving in Brighton anywhere near LW so you should be OK. If you are in danger of arriving near LW, I would definately ask someone in the marina office. Last time I was there (April) I was aground on my berth with the keel up and I only draw 0.8m. It was literally shin deep at LWS. Also be aware that getting in to Brighton can be unpleaseant in strong southerlies as the waves bounce back off the breakwater. I've been tossed a round like a cork. Plenty of places to eat once you're there though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12