Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Radar Cable

Default Radar Cable

Hi, anyone know the gauge (AWG) of the tiny wires in a Raymarine radar cable ?. Thanks Phil

Default Re: Radar Cable

Which radar? The old analogue ones, first generation digital with proprietary cable, or current models with ethernet?

Pete

Hmm, 2009 .. first gen digital? I'll check the manual when on board.
    Last edited by PTB; 12-10-19 at 17:44.

Quote Originally Posted by PTB View Post
    Hmm, 2009 .. first gen digital? I'll check the manual when on board.
    2009 could well be ethernet cable, what do the connectors look like, what's the plotter ?

Oh, why do you ask ?
    Last edited by PaulRainbow; 12-10-19 at 18:43.
    Rainbow Marine.
    www.rainbowmarine.co.uk

Have you snipped it

Hi, anyone know the gauge (AWG) of the tiny wires in a Raymarine radar cable ?. Thanks Phil
    Electrical & heating engineer, Diesel remaps, Custom panels
    Southwold & Ipswich Yards

Its an RD218 scanner to a C120 plotter. In fitting a new jack stay attachment I have drilled right through the middle of the radar cable. What an idiot. Anyway, I am looking for connector options to make a joint. For example, wondering if wago do anything for wires so small.

Its an RD218 scanner to a C120 plotter. In fitting a new jack stay attachment I have drilled right through the middle of the radar cable. What an idiot. Anyway, I am looking for connector options to make a joint. For example, wondering if wago do anything for wires so small.
    That's an "Ooops"! You need something waterproof; Wago connectors aren't. I'd be tempted to take the cable out and use solder and heatshrink to repair the damage.

The only really reliable way to put that right would be to solder and individually glue lined heatshrink each wire, with glue lined heatshrink over the whole repair.
    Rainbow Marine.
    www.rainbowmarine.co.uk

Thanks for that ... another winter job now specced up. P

Did you sever the whole thing, or just nick it and damage the "tiny wires" (which aren't really all that tiny, honestly)? Be aware that one of the other cores is a co-ax cable with its own screen and dielectric, and needs to be repaired accordingly.

Agree with Paul and pvb about the repair method, though I'd consider the glue-lined optional on the inside. Normal heat-shrink is sufficient to insulate the cores from each other, and you shouldn't be getting water inside the cable. Make sure the outer sleeve (very definitely glue-lined) has a substantial overlap with the original cable sheath, and shows a neat, even extrusion of glue right round the end.

Pete

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast