Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 2020 season mooring

hello,

im looking at a change od locale. Im currently at Pin Mill, which is lovely,safe and really a great place. However I don't drive and the lack of a Sunday bus service means either a thumping taxi or 2 hour walk to Ipswich. Id like to stay up in on the Orwell, but would like something closer into town, the only requirements would be close to a railway station, and decent access to the water, the GF doesn't care for Pin Mill's mud....the Orwell Sailing Club looks nice, Foxes does too but hellishly expensive. the boat is a 26 wooden classic long keel cruiser. I'm happy with a swinging mooring.

Default Re: 2020 season mooring

Unsure whether you mean you want another swinging mooring or are considering a marina. If the latter then my own research and actual experience shows me that Foxs is the cheapest marina on the Orwell / Stour. If you want a swinging mooring then the Orwell Sailing club is cheap but you, understandably, would be expected to contribute to maintenance work. The closest to a train station is obviously one of the wet dock marinas.

a swing is fine, though a marina does have advantages too

Some marinas offer 1/2 tide / restricted access berths so is that an option

Quote Originally Posted by Old Harry View Post
    Some marinas offer 1/2 tide / restricted access berths so is that an option
    Which Orwell marinas offer that?

Quote Originally Posted by pvb View Post
    Which Orwell marinas offer that?
    I didnt state any particular river, just some marina`s do offer these options for smaller / shallow draft vessels

You have to be careful when comparing rates for marinas. The basic rate may be the cheapest at a specific marina but some marinas charge to the nearest half metre up and some charge to the nearest metre up. Some marinas give a discount for early payment and some may not. Some marinas allow credit card payments for the discount and some may not. You then need to check the haul out, put back and pressure wash rates to get an overall picture.

Debbage;s in the New Cut

The prices at Fox's aren't too bad especially now they have re-developed the shore-side facilities. Orwell Sailing Club would me my choice with your size boat but none of their moorings are walk ashore, even those with pontoons. I'm not sure the work-parties etc would be that onerous, maybe twice a year, but I'm only guessing. Still a fair walk on a warm summer's day from the station.
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Old Harry View Post
    I didnt state any particular river, just some marina`s do offer these options for smaller / shallow draft vessels
    Hmmm, the OP said he'd like to stay on the Orwell.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast