Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Default Re: MD2020, coolant auto removes

Quote Originally Posted by DJE View Post
    Neither did I once I'd fixed the exhaust elbow, but I was still loosing coolant from the circulating pump.
    Yes, but surely that was covered in #15 under the leaking gasket or O-ring category.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    Yes, but surely that was covered in #15 under the leaking gasket or O-ring category.

Richard
    Yes it was, of course. God knows how that slipped through our audit procedures - heads will roll!
    ۞

Richard
    Not if you read post #1

In particular
    The coolant from our heat exchanger syphons, is forced by pressure, to empty itself into the sump of the pod that acts as the engine base.
    How does a leaking o-ring or gasket cause that ?

Before you suggest a leak that causes over heating;

before the engine was at full working temperature.
    Rainbow Marine.
    www.rainbowmarine.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by PaulRainbow View Post
    Not if you read post #1

In particular

How does a leaking o-ring or gasket cause that ?

Before you suggest a leak that causes over heating;
    I'm nonplussed.

I don't know how your post addresses DJE's point "but I was still loosing coolant from the circulating pump", but, even if we address the leak as being from the heat exchanger, surely that must be due to one of the reasons in post #15, viz, "a loose clip, a split or disconnected hose, a leaking gasket, a leaking O-ring, a split expansion/header tank/heat exchanger/core plug, or a failed pressure cap."

Richard

I'm nonplussed.

I don't know how your post addresses DJE's point "but I was still loosing coolant from the circulating pump", but, even if we address the leak as being from the heat exchanger, surely that must be due to one of the reasons in post #15, viz, "a loose clip, a split or disconnected hose, a leaking gasket, a leaking O-ring, a split expansion/header tank/heat exchanger/core plug, or a failed pressure cap."

Richard
    DJEs problem is irrelevant to the OPs issues. Yet you keep quoting post #15, which was posted way before DJEs post and was as irrelevant then as it is now.

How many more times, the OP has not reported a leak from the heat exchanger, he says it's being forced out by pressure.

Post #15 was just a blind shot in the dark, listing various possible causes for coolant water in the bilge, you covered most of the possibilities, so in a lot of cases you might have had the correct answer in there. If you'd listed a few more, you'd have covered every possible leak for every possible engine.

Only problem was, you failed to read the opening post, so none of the causes you listed related to the OPs issue, unless it was the faulty cap you suggested, which he's tested and confirmed to be good.

The coolant from our heat exchanger syphons, is forced by pressure, to empty itself into the sump of the pod that acts as the engine base.
    Rainbow Marine.
    www.rainbowmarine.co.uk

DJEs problem is irrelevant to the OPs issues. Yet you keep quoting post #15, which was posted way before DJEs post and was as irrelevant then as it is now.

How many more times, the OP has not reported a leak from the heat exchanger, he says it's being forced out by pressure.

Post #15 was just a blind shot in the dark, listing various possible causes for coolant water in the bilge, you covered most of the possibilities, so in a lot of cases you might have had the correct answer in there. If you'd listed a few more, you'd have covered every possible leak for every possible engine.

Only problem was, you failed to read the opening post, so none of the causes you listed related to the OPs issue, unless it was the faulty cap you suggested, which he's tested and confirmed to be good.
    Good grief Paul. I was addressing DJE's suggestion. Even though it may well not be the cause of Jonathan's problem, am I not allowed to address DJE's suggestion?

Have the Forum Police, aka Paul Rainbow, now taken over? If so, it's a fair cop, Guv.

You keep going on about the heat exchanger in response to all my posts ..... but the question you seem to be blind to is "how does this pressure cause the coolant find it's way out of the heat exchanger and into the bilges?". That is the issue I'm addressing with post #15.

If coolant is not exiting the heat exchanger through any of the mechanisms that I've suggested, perhaps you'd like to suggest some more rather than constantly ridiculing mine.

Richard

You keep going on about the heat exchanger in response to all my posts
    That's where the water is coming from, you don't think it's relevant ?

..... but the question you seem to be blind to is "how does this pressure cause the coolant find it's way out of the heat exchanger and into the bilges?".
    I'm not blind at all, the OP said it's forced out by pressure, you seem to keep ignoring that.

That is the issue I'm addressing with post #15.
    The only possible thing in post #15 that could cause coolant to be ejected from the heat exchanger is a faulty cap. It cannot be caused by

a loose clip, a split or disconnected hose, a leaking gasket, a leaking O-ring, a split expansion/header tank/heat exchanger/core plug

If it can, i'm all ears for the explanation.

If coolant is not exiting the heat exchanger through any of the mechanisms that I've suggested, perhaps you'd like to suggest some more rather than constantly ridiculing mine.
    Again, explain how these "mechanisms" (a loose clip, a split or disconnected hose, a leaking gasket, a leaking O-ring, a split expansion/header tank/heat exchanger/core plug) force coolant from the heat exchanger.

I've already suggested the industry standard way of proceeding with a proper diagnosis.
    Rainbow Marine.
    www.rainbowmarine.co.uk

That's where the water is coming from, you don't think it's relevant ?

I'm not blind at all, the OP said it's forced out by pressure, you seem to keep ignoring that.

The only possible thing in post #15 that could cause coolant to be ejected from the heat exchanger is a faulty cap. It cannot be caused by

[/I]If it can, i'm all ears for the explanation.

Again, explain how these "mechanisms" (a loose clip, a split or disconnected hose, a leaking gasket, a leaking O-ring, a split expansion/header tank/heat exchanger/core plug) force coolant from the heat exchanger.

I've already suggested the industry standard way of proceeding with a proper diagnosis.
    Do I really need to answer your points, Paul? I avoided giving an answer a few days ago because I knew that the engineers on here would be smirking.

However, you really seem to want to discuss this.

So, to recap, Jonathan believes that coolant is being forced out of the heat exchanger and into the bilges by excess (or possibly normal) coolant pressure but can't identify exactly where it's coming from. So far, obvious and simple. We've ruled out the filler cap so let's also rule out diffusion or osmosis through the metal walls of the exchanger. Now what does that leave us?

a) a split exchanger housing or split end cap
    b) a split or displaced end cap O ring or gasket
    c) a split or displaced O-ring or gasket on the exchanger drain
    d) a split hose somewhere in the cooling/calorifier system near the exchanger
    e) a broken or loose clip on said hose, or
    f) a split O-ring, gasket or weld on the pressure cap neck

Now, I've covered all these in post #15 to try and narrow down the likely leakage areas to help Jonathan, so please, tell us what I've missed.

Richard
    Last edited by RichardS; 22-10-19 at 18:20.

Do I really need to answer your points, Paul? I avoided giving an answer a few days ago because I knew that the engineers on here would be smirking.
    I think any engineers reading this are way past smirking Richard, i think the modern, internet, term is

RFLMAO

However, you really seem to want to discuss this.

So, to recap, Jonathan believes that coolant is being forced out of the heat exchanger and into the bilges by excess coolant pressure but can't identify exactly where it's coming from. So far, obvious and simple. We've ruled out the filler cap so let's also rule out diffusion or osmosis through the metal walls of the exchanger. Now what does that leave?
    Go on then, let's all have a good RFLMAO

a) a split exchanger housing or split end cap
    b) a split or displaced end cap O ring or gasket
    c) a split or displaced O-ring or gasket on the exchanger drain
    d) a split hose somewhere in the cooling/calorifier system near the exchanger
    e) a broken or loose clip on said hose, or
    f) a split O-ring, gasket or weld on the pressure cap neck
    Ah, still sticking to that are we.

Now, I've covered all these in post #15 to try and narrow down the likely leakage areas to help Jonathan, so please, tell us what I've missed.
    Perhaps that Jonathan states
    The coolant seems to be coming from, what I would call, the radiator cap and the tube that is attached, I thought not from the cap but from the tube attached to the cap.
    I note that you added the weld to the cap neck, nice try, but the above quote pretty much negates that one too
    Rainbow Marine.
    www.rainbowmarine.co.uk

I think any engineers reading this are way past smirking Richard, i think the modern, internet, term is

RFLMAO

Go on then, let's all have a good RFLMAO

Ah, still sticking to that are we.

Perhaps that Jonathan states

I note that you added the weld to the cap neck, nice try, but the above quote pretty much negates that one too
    Oh dear Paul, you really are being silly.

OK, so that was my post #15. Then, in his post #17 i.e after my post #15, Jonathan clarified that "The coolant seems to be coming from, what I would call, the radiator cap and the tube that is attached, I thought not from the cap but from the tube attached to the cap" exactly as you say.

So, how did I address this new information from Jonathan?

Well, possibly my post #22 might contain the answer?

"It does depend on what kind of cooling system you have. If you have a pipe alongside the filler cap on top of the heat exchanger, then that pipe should lead into a plastic bottle, going right to the bottom of the bottle. There would then usually be a vent in the top of the plastic bottle or another pipe in the top of the bottle which just leads to air. With this kind of system, if the coolant gets over-pressurised, it should blow over into the expansion tank and you should see the level of coolant in the expansion bottle filling up until it blows out of the vent/vent pipe and ends up on the floor.

If the coolant is not going into the expansion tank, it must be going straight out of the filler cap and running down over the heat exchanger. This means the cap is faulty and should be replaced, although the head gasket will still be the fundamental problem.

If the coolant is not running down the heat exchanger, and it's not over-spilling into the expansion tank, and there's none in the oil (mayo or droplets), then I think it's more likely to simply be a split/leak in a hose somewhere rather than a head gasket problem, although, if you are very unlucky, it could be both."

Now, don't you think that you should stop this silliness, or do you want to suggest that there are more reasons than I've suggested for a leak in the vicinity of "the tube that attaches to the filler cap"?

Richard

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast