Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Colwell Bay
    Posts
    5,711

    Default Galv shackle with 40mm throat for pile mooring ring.

    My new mooring has rings on the riser bars on the piles, the rings are 40mm thick.

    So I need 4 shackles with a 40mm wide throat.

    I'm surprised to find not many shackles for sale online that quote the size of the throat.

    Any online suppliers recommended?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    35,718

    Default Re: Galv shackle with 40mm throat for pile mooring ring.

    Gael Force have shackles with 44mm jaws: https://www.gaelforcemarine.co.uk/en...es/m-4953.aspx

    Select from the size drop-down.

    Go up a level to the general "Shackles and thimbles" section and they also have some other types with nuts and split pins, which might not be a bad idea for a mooring.

    Pete

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Colwell Bay
    Posts
    5,711

    Default Re: Galv shackle with 40mm throat for pile mooring ring.

    Quote Originally Posted by prv View Post
    Gael Force have shackles with 44mm jaws: https://www.gaelforcemarine.co.uk/en...es/m-4953.aspx

    Select from the size drop-down.

    Go up a level to the general "Shackles and thimbles" section and they also have some other types with nuts and split pins, which might not be a bad idea for a mooring.

    Pete
    Thanks, didn't think of them.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    River Orwell,East Coast
    Posts
    1,629

    Default Re: Galv shackle with 40mm throat for pile mooring ring.

    The Eye Chain Co near Suffolk Yacht Harbour will be sure to have them .
    Their On Line Co is www.boatgeardirect.co.uk
    Give them a ring to enquire. They are the best marine company I have ever dealt with.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    6,332

    Default Re: Galv shackle with 40mm throat for pile mooring ring.

    Do a Google search on Green Pin shackles. The site below brings up a table and it looks like you need a shackle above 9.5 tonnes.


    Click on product details on the page below for chart of sizes.

    https://www.thesafetysupplycompany.c...-gpsab135.html
    Eastern Scotland and beyond.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Colwell Bay
    Posts
    5,711

    Default Re: Galv shackle with 40mm throat for pile mooring ring.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bilgediver View Post
    Do a Google search on Green Pin shackles. The site below brings up a table and it looks like you need a shackle above 9.5 tonnes.


    Click on product details on the page below for chart of sizes.

    https://www.thesafetysupplycompany.c...-gpsab135.html
    Er yeah! I kind of ran into that, the boat weighs only 5 tons, so 9.5ton shackles to stop her drifting along the river in the tide seems a little bit extreme!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Sydney, Australia.
    Posts
    5,663

    Default Re: Galv shackle with 40mm throat for pile mooring ring.

    I don't know exactly how the mooring is established - so my guess might be wrong. Why a shackle - why not a short length of (decent) chain shackle together to form a loop.

    You can then use reasonably sized shackles (and reasonably sized chain). The chain and shackles will wear - but you can check that and simply replace in a few years time

    As I understand it the wear is primarily on the rings (that's why they are so big - the wear on the chain should be minimal - though the galvanising might not last long, so they will simply rust - check and replace, cheaper than a shackle with a 40mm opening.

    Jonathan
    Last edited by Neeves; 14-10-19 at 11:13.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Colwell Bay
    Posts
    5,711

    Default Re: Galv shackle with 40mm throat for pile mooring ring.

    Quote Originally Posted by Neeves View Post
    I don't know exactly how the mooring is established - so my guess might be wrong. Why a shackle - why not a short length of (decent) chain shackle together to form a loop.

    You can then use reasonably sized shackles (and reasonably sized chain). The chain and shackles will wear - but you can check that and simply replace in a few years time

    As I understand it the wear is primarily on the rings (that's why they are so big - the wear on the chain should be minimal - though the galvanising might not last long, so they will simply rust - check and replace, cheaper than a shackle with a 40mm opening.

    Jonathan
    I never thought of that!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    328

    Default Re: Galv shackle with 40mm throat for pile mooring ring.

    We used the chain method for many years when we were on a pile mooring. Apart from the advantages pointed out by Neeves we spliced hard eyes into the lines and then we could shackle the chain and rope directly. It worked very well.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Colwell Bay
    Posts
    5,711

    Default Re: Galv shackle with 40mm throat for pile mooring ring.

    Quote Originally Posted by Roger52 View Post
    We used the chain method for many years when we were on a pile mooring. Apart from the advantages pointed out by Neeves we spliced hard eyes into the lines and then we could shackle the chain and rope directly. It worked very well.
    Exactly, this post was brought about as I ordered 4 mooring strops with Gavl eyes spliced in one end and soft loops in the other.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to