Default Galv shackle with 40mm throat for pile mooring ring.

My new mooring has rings on the riser bars on the piles, the rings are 40mm thick.

So I need 4 shackles with a 40mm wide throat.

I'm surprised to find not many shackles for sale online that quote the size of the throat.

Any online suppliers recommended?

Default Re: Galv shackle with 40mm throat for pile mooring ring.

Gael Force have shackles with 44mm jaws: https://www.gaelforcemarine.co.uk/en...es/m-4953.aspx

Select from the size drop-down.

Go up a level to the general "Shackles and thimbles" section and they also have some other types with nuts and split pins, which might not be a bad idea for a mooring.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by prv View Post
    Gael Force have shackles with 44mm jaws: https://www.gaelforcemarine.co.uk/en...es/m-4953.aspx

Select from the size drop-down.

Go up a level to the general "Shackles and thimbles" section and they also have some other types with nuts and split pins, which might not be a bad idea for a mooring.

Pete
    Thanks, didn't think of them.

The Eye Chain Co near Suffolk Yacht Harbour will be sure to have them .
    Their On Line Co is www.boatgeardirect.co.uk
    Give them a ring to enquire. They are the best marine company I have ever dealt with.

Do a Google search on Green Pin shackles. The site below brings up a table and it looks like you need a shackle above 9.5 tonnes.

Click on product details on the page below for chart of sizes.

https://www.thesafetysupplycompany.c...-gpsab135.html
    Eastern Scotland and beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Bilgediver View Post
    Do a Google search on Green Pin shackles. The site below brings up a table and it looks like you need a shackle above 9.5 tonnes.

Click on product details on the page below for chart of sizes.

https://www.thesafetysupplycompany.c...-gpsab135.html
    Er yeah! I kind of ran into that, the boat weighs only 5 tons, so 9.5ton shackles to stop her drifting along the river in the tide seems a little bit extreme!

I don't know exactly how the mooring is established - so my guess might be wrong. Why a shackle - why not a short length of (decent) chain shackle together to form a loop.

You can then use reasonably sized shackles (and reasonably sized chain). The chain and shackles will wear - but you can check that and simply replace in a few years time

As I understand it the wear is primarily on the rings (that's why they are so big - the wear on the chain should be minimal - though the galvanising might not last long, so they will simply rust - check and replace, cheaper than a shackle with a 40mm opening.

Jonathan
    Last edited by Neeves; 14-10-19 at 11:13.

Quote Originally Posted by Neeves View Post
    I don't know exactly how the mooring is established - so my guess might be wrong. Why a shackle - why not a short length of (decent) chain shackle together to form a loop.

You can then use reasonably sized shackles (and reasonably sized chain). The chain and shackles will wear - but you can check that and simply replace in a few years time

As I understand it the wear is primarily on the rings (that's why they are so big - the wear on the chain should be minimal - though the galvanising might not last long, so they will simply rust - check and replace, cheaper than a shackle with a 40mm opening.

Jonathan
    I never thought of that!

We used the chain method for many years when we were on a pile mooring. Apart from the advantages pointed out by Neeves we spliced hard eyes into the lines and then we could shackle the chain and rope directly. It worked very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger52 View Post
    We used the chain method for many years when we were on a pile mooring. Apart from the advantages pointed out by Neeves we spliced hard eyes into the lines and then we could shackle the chain and rope directly. It worked very well.
    Exactly, this post was brought about as I ordered 4 mooring strops with Gavl eyes spliced in one end and soft loops in the other.