Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: A major improvement in efficiency? the new 'Sharrow propellor'

That was a very impressive video. Personally, I would sacrifice speed and fuel efficiency for slow speed maneuvering (especially on a single engine boat). But to have both is a miracle!
    I wouldn’t buy a prop until I found out the cost and availability of the Sharrow.
    I would be very interested in how it performs when the boat and prop are heavily fouled. Also, how it performs when it encounters floating ropes, fishing lines, plastic bags etc.
    Like anything, testers find perfect conditions for repeatability. But a few seasons of actual ownership and use would be interesting
    Neither a Leaver or Remainer be

it does look interesting and I really hope it works out but I wouldn't hold my breath, the test data seems off.
    They spend too long comparing the performance when the sharrow prop is on the plane and the others aren't and looks to me like they underpropped the boat for the other runs, revs seem high before they get on the plane and all 3 hit the same max revs, which hints to me that they're hitting the limiter or the testers have backed off at those revs. Given the other props are 2 different sizes, one should have over or under revved.
    www.fimtra.com - Distributed software, Innovative solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by peterjaw View Post
    This video might provide more vivid information.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fO862lWuBdE

It seems that Steve highly recommend the new prop.
    Incredible bias in the reporting. More like a marketing video than a boat test. Very poor.

Highlighting 137% improvement at a specific RPM when one prop was on the plane and one wasn't. Obviously you would run at a few more RPM and get yourself on the plane.

It still seems fairly clear that the new prop provides better fuel consumption. Not 137% but maybe 5-10%. And that is a big deal actually. If that can be replicated on commercial vessels then they have made themselves very wealthy.

But there was nothing about the cost to buy. If I was them that number would be very high indeed for as long as they can get away with it.
    And I know how much my props cost to mend when they get dinged........

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    It still seems fairly clear that the new prop provides better fuel consumption. Not 137% but maybe 5-10%. And that is a big deal actually. If that can be replicated on commercial vessels then they have made themselves very wealthy.

But there was nothing about the cost to buy. If I was them that number would be very high indeed for as long as they can get away with it.
    And I know how much my props cost to mend when they get dinged........
    I think if it really did provide 5-10% better fuel consumption they would be targeting the commercial sector first, 5% would be plenty to get them a huge market.
    Given they've been testing etc for years, they'd have some tanker showing the real world improvement since switching. There are surely plenty of companies that would take a chance on fitting their vessel with a free prop that promised the chance of saving them millions.
    www.fimtra.com - Distributed software, Innovative solutions.

I suspect that on a recreational boat there is too much variance to justify fitment. Different loads, throttle settings sea conditions operator discretion and so on. With commercial applications on larger ships conditions are far more controlled and for longer periods of time. You can also make very accurate calculations for speed / time / cost in terms of asset cost, crew, fuel, revenue.

Itís a bit like in a car. If you bring out a device thatís supposed to give 5% fuel Saving I could show you 40% difference through driving technique alone rendering the supposed gains from the Magic device a rounding error in the real world.

Henry

I think that you have to give some credibility to Captain Steve. I’ve been following his video and written reviews for years and if he says it’s good then it probably is good. Let’s face it, he is on a lot more boats than we are (and he hasn’t gone all Clarkson, if it’s not a Ferrari then it’s a useless piece of sh1t$)
    Neither a Leaver or Remainer be

Quote Originally Posted by longjohnsilver View Post
    Agreed, google for Greg sparrow draws a blank, apart from an obituary, maybe appropriate!
    Googling for the correct name would have been appropriate, too!

Quote Originally Posted by Bouba View Post
    I think that you have to give some credibility to Captain Steve. I’ve been following his video and written reviews for years and if he says it’s good then it probably is good. Let’s face it, he is on a lot more boats than we are (and he hasn’t gone all Clarkson, if it’s not a Ferrari then it’s a useless piece of sh1t$)
    can't give him any credit for quoting the 137% figure. Nor for not mentioning cost differences.

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    can't give him any credit for quoting the 137% figure. Nor for not mentioning cost differences.
    +1

this video is just marketing, the selective focus on pointless data was annoying!

If you ignore the silly comparisons where one was on the plane and the other was not - it does seem real.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast