Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Default Re: Buying a wreck in Greece!!! Help

Quote Originally Posted by IanCC View Post
    Pvb - thanks for input. It's why I am on here. To try and make sure my thinking is straight. But straight up I don't see rot "everywhere". I see rot in the ribs for sure but whereelse?
    No idea, but the work involved in replacing 12 ribs would put most sensible people off. Have you looked at all the photos on the guy's Instagram page? There's around a dozen photos of rotten bits.

Quote Originally Posted by pvb View Post
    As DownWest said, it's rot. And there's a lot of it. If you look in detail at the Instagram pics and comments, there's rot everywhere.
    pvb is an Elder of this Parish - and not to be taken lightly on his word.

I wonder if she could limp back to the UK. If she's re-engined and METARS were favourable?
    What say you old man?

Quote Originally Posted by ganter View Post
    I wonder if she could limp back to the UK. If she's re-engined and METARS were favourable?
    Have you looked at all the pics?

I have much to learn about wooden boats.
    The first lesson seems to be; Avoid.

IanCC - either you want your old boat back or not - if money's an object then you're going to have to either;

1) Dive in - forget the expense - who cares? - I want my girl back.
    or
    2) Have a drink - raise a glass to her - and forget about her. She's in the past.

Best wishes for your thoughts...

Pvb-Yes I have looked at the pics. What I see are cracked and rotten frames at the end of the floors. I see no pics of cracks or rot anywhere else. (If is I see wrong please tell me) It might be different on inspection. If you look through the pics most are characterised by having a small crack straight through at the end of the floor. Canadian rock elm was used because apart from being bendy it was super tough and in good condition is unlikely to crack straight through. I surmise therefore that the cause of the cracks is fatigue, especially as the cracks are at the ends of the floors where the Hull is relatively flat in section so the frame wasn't stressed unduly at that point during Installation. Therefore as a working hypothesis at a distance it seems to me the rest of the frame above the cracks are, probably, in good nick. Below the crack is maybe irrelevantish because it is the floor which is doing the work maybe? (Also it looks to me that the floors haven't rusted despite lack of paint and care meaning they are probably genuine wrought iron). Therefore it seems to me that doubling the frames at that point with an overlap either side of the crack of 12" or so should be satisfactory, parti ularly as the Hull section is fairly flat at that point.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

A thought. If you can see some rot, there is likely more hidden, often a lot..
    On the iron floors.. I have recently restored ancient wrought iron gates. Nightmare.. They were from the 1840s Rivited and screwed together, as it is is tricky to weld wrought. Still, if they are basicly sound, the rust comes off easily by chipping. It is not like the flaking of steel.

Pvb-Yes I have looked at the pics. What I see are cracked and rotten frames at the end of the floors. I see no pics of cracks or rot anywhere else. (If is I see wrong please tell me)
    These examples of rot aren't at the ends of the floors.

corolla1.jpg

corolla2.jpg

corolla3.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by pvb View Post
    These examples of rot aren't at the ends of the floors.

corolla1.jpg

corolla2.jpg

corolla3.jpg
    Not being a wooden boat man I can still see that that looks wrong.

Your right. It's easy to kid yourself. Sorry, I rephrase, it's easy for me to kid myself. They are tricky to fix. I can see I was hoping they wouldn't be so bad on inspection but when fronted up to like that I can see that's crazy. Even now I can see myself thinking there must be some wondrous way with some magic goo, but no it is bonkers. Thank you, if sadly, for the bucket of cold water.

Your right. It's easy to kid yourself. Sorry, I rephrase, it's easy for me to kid myself. They are tricky to fix. I can see I was hoping they wouldn't be so bad on inspection but when fronted up to like that I can see that's crazy. Even now I can see myself thinking there must be some wondrous way with some magic goo, but no it is bonkers. Thank you, if sadly, for the bucket of cold water.
    You're welcome! I have a friend who owned an East Anglian for many years. Throughout most of that time he was working tirelessly to repair it. Whenever one bit seemed like being completed, he discovered something else which needed fixing. He hardly ever sailed it, as it was mostly in the yard. I often popped down to see the progress (or lack of it) and make encouraging comments, but it was obvious he'd never really get it into a condition he could be proud of. He sold it.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast