Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ooooooops Again

Default Re: Ooooooops Again

Quote Originally Posted by Vega1447 View Post
    Amusing to read the owners' web site:
    Love it,: a buzzword blitz followed by the reassuring:

"Safe, reliable and always on time."

I'm sure the correct practices and procedures are all written down and signed off by the crew, and will be duly presented to the enquiry.

What they won't say is that the last officer who drew Management's attention to practices not being followed was fired. (No idea if he existed, but you know what I mean)

It can only be gross negligence, but I also wonder if gross fatigue due to the crew being driven too hard for too long didn't cause that negligence.
    Steve
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

"What they won't say is that the last officer who drew Management's attention to practices not being followed was fired. (No idea if he existed, but you know what I mean)" +

The amount of paperwork required to show you are adhering to the regulations leaves the poor watch keeper very little time to actually adhere to the regulations, look at plots and occasionally glance out the window, admin and tiredness related incidents now kill more ships than weather.

The watch keepers who stay awake and keep their head in the game are too expensive to hire now, when compared to the ones who buy their certs off the local authorities, what is the poor shipping magnate to do?

The answer seems clear, sack the driver, replace him with someone even cheaper, and introduce another form the watch keeper has to fill in and sign every 15 minutes to prove he is awake.

Global shipping is knackered, might as well make the ships autonomous, they couldn't be worse than the standards many of the shipping companies are chasing to the bottom. The last company I worked for had a direct correlation between the number and value of Mercedes parked in the car park of head office, and the amount of 'efficiency savings', ie staff cuts, and replacement with cheaper staff, deferred maintenance, no bonus or raise or time off, more 20 hour days, etc. It got them 10 years of lots of lovely money, but now the vessels are all broken and old, and staffed by the cheapest and laziest they can find, the contracts are getting thin on the ground.

Another good lesson to those who stand on regardless to any vessel on their starboard side, it only works if the other guy is paying attention.

Eternal vigilance is the price of safety.

I notice that the ship is flying a French courtesy flag on starboard side of mast. Hoisted after they went aground?
    No sign of three black balls hoisted though!
    Gosport NCI - Call us on Ch 65 for a radio check if passing.

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

The manning levels of short sea ships in Europe are low. Having said that many of the ships I see passing up the Orwell look pretty good. I looked up the little German coaster “SUNTIS” which runs into the Wet Dock with packaged timber. She always looks like a new pin, always smartly handled. Owner-skipper and four others in the crew. Built in ... 1986... !!! though you would never know it. If they can do it...

Quote Originally Posted by Kukri View Post
    I looked up the little German coaster “SUNTIS” which runs into the Wet Dock with packaged timber. She always looks like a new pin, always smartly handled. Owner-skipper and four others in the crew. Built in ... 1986... !!! though you would never know it. If they can do it...
    I suspect the answer there lies in the phrase 'Owner-skipper' rather than 'low paid employee'.
    Gosport NCI - Call us on Ch 65 for a radio check if passing.

Fortunate that ship is carrying steel coils not something nasty.
    Could be a lot of stored energy, if she gets stuck and breaks up, i wouldn't want to be on the salvage crew.

Quote Originally Posted by burgundyben View Post
    Could be a lot of stored energy, if she gets stuck and breaks up, i wouldn't want to be on the salvage crew.
    Gives a whole new dimension to the concept of springing off.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12