Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Default What is the future of motor boating?

With diesel becoming no longer fashionable as a road vehicle fuel would it be wise to change sooner rather than later to sail before the future of motor boating ( with diesel engines) becomes no longer viable?

Default Re: What is the future of motor boating?

As road transport moves away from Diesel I expect the price of the stuff to come down & future boats will follow the tech being developed in the motor industry.
    So short term hang on & long term unless we have sea tolls expect a return to growth in the industry.

The future will probably follow the current trends. More superyachts, bigger superyachts. Boats of almost fifty feet becoming more numerous. More space inside boats. Boats getting taller.
    The first impact of environmentalism on boating will be the lack of new marinas or expansion of existing ones. And I would imagine that the first great environmental tax on new boats will be an end of life (scrappage) tax. And I suspect all other boat taxes will go up but that won’t be for any environmental reason.
    Neither a Leaver or Remainer be

I have been wondering about this. The Govt have commissioned a review of the impacts of recreational boating and the increasing awareness of climate change and what we need to do to address it could possibly lead to increased taxation through carbon taxes. I am less than convinced that our political class can be relied upon to take reasoned, balanced decisions and there is always the temptation to take ‘low hanging fruit’ so I think that things are a little uncertain at the moment.
    Last edited by Greg2; 15-10-19 at 06:42.

Given that HMG is desperately searching around for public support with a GE on the horizon and the shiney new "Office for Environmental Protection" being given a mandate to reduce carbon emissions.
    Any thoughts on the chances of retaining derogation on a fuel only able to be used by a tiny proportion of the community to enjoy a hobby. ?

Costs, I could see taxes rising in the UK on fuel for boats using 'green' as an excuse. The result will be a lot of handwringing and claims of decimating the marine industry then not much actual change (beyond a few boats going slower/less far).

Design, agree with above, the trend is ever more volume because ultimately, boats are mostly floating caravans/waterside apartments, so a more voluminous boat will always be in more demand. Hard to see that they can get much higher, so maybe wider?
    Ari

---------------------------------

If a man speaks in a forest, and there is no woman to hear him, is he still wrong..?

Quote Originally Posted by ari View Post
    Hard to see that they can get much higher, so maybe wider?
    If you stand beside a Navetta then you know how high you can go (it’s like a tower block). But width is a problem, Med berthing limits the width like the Panama Canal does for ships
    Neither a Leaver or Remainer be

Highly efficient and advanced outboards will be right up there, if they keep going as they are. Incredible things now.
    Still not sure about their cosmetic appeal on larger boats though.

The only people to suffer will be the people with smaller/older boats with limited means. Those that can spend 500k on a boat won't care about an increase in fuel costs.

Shame but that's always the way i guess

Quote Originally Posted by QBhoy View Post
    Highly efficient and advanced outboards will be right up there, if they keep going as they are. Incredible things now.
    Still not sure about their cosmetic appeal on larger boats though.
    I don’t know how efficient they are but I passed on running in the Mariana last summer. It was totally silent other than the water tell tale.

Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast