Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 66
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Farndon
    Posts
    3,132

    Default Re: What is the future of motor boating?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sailorsam101 View Post
    The only people to suffer will be the people with smaller/older boats with limited means.
    That's me !

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    470

    Default Re: What is the future of motor boating?

    I have often wondered what it problem is with “rising” CO2. Follow this train of thought.

    We need air to live.
    In particular Oxygen.
    Oxygen is produced by plant life.
    Plant live need CO2 to live.

    So reducing CO2 is to suffocate the very mechanism we need to live.

    The great tax hoax

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Farndon
    Posts
    3,132

    Default Re: What is the future of motor boating?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksteadee View Post
    So reducing CO2 is to suffocate the very mechanism we need to live.
    Not really – but you knew that?

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    470

    Default Re: What is the future of motor boating?

    Quote Originally Posted by MartynG View Post
    Not really – but you knew that?
    I can’t think of a simpler way to put it

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Farndon
    Posts
    3,132

    Default Re: What is the future of motor boating?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksteadee View Post
    I can’t think of a simpler way to put it
    The vegetation will not be starved if CO2 emissions created by manmade activities are reduced.
    Globally there is presently too much C02 being produced. More than the vegetation can deal with.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Farndon
    Posts
    3,132

    Default Re: What is the future of motor boating?

    Although I own a planing hull twin engined motorboat I am very much aware it consumes fuel at a rate that some people may already consider environmentally irresponsible.

    In the same way that smoking in public places has become increasingly unacceptable I predict there will be increasing criticism of the use of internal combustion engines for any use that is otherwise avoidable.

    The UK government has an ambition to see all shipping in UK waters is zero emission by 2050 .

    New cars may not be internal combustion engines by 2030.

    Therefore I would anticipate the build up to this will be gradual but determined and applied to all things. If the demand for diesel and petrol drops significantly it will presumably become unavailable to the public.

    Will people buy a £500k boat capable of 20 kts + driven by powerful diesels if it is increasingly seen by many as socially unacceptable and potentially unusable? More probably a change to electric propulsion (slow) may be the trend. In that case perhaps sailing becomes the more popular option for sea boats ?

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    677

    Default Re: What is the future of motor boating?

    Quote Originally Posted by MartynG View Post
    Although I own a planing hull twin engined motorboat I am very much aware it consumes fuel at a rate that some people may already consider environmentally irresponsible.

    In the same way that smoking in public places has become increasingly unacceptable I predict there will be increasing criticism of the use of internal combustion engines for any use that is otherwise avoidable.

    The UK government has an ambition to see all shipping in UK waters is zero emission by 2050 .

    New cars may not be internal combustion engines by 2030.

    Therefore I would anticipate the build up to this will be gradual but determined and applied to all things. If the demand for diesel and petrol drops significantly it will presumably become unavailable to the public.

    Will people buy a £500k boat capable of 20 kts + driven by powerful diesels if it is increasingly seen by many as socially unacceptable and potentially unusable? More probably a change to electric propulsion (slow) may be the trend. In that case perhaps sailing becomes the more popular option for sea boats ?
    Is it really the end for diesel, seems a bit odd expanding when we are supposed to be cutting down on fossil fuels.

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-49661098

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    London / West Cork
    Posts
    267

    Default Re: What is the future of motor boating?

    Quote Originally Posted by MartynG View Post
    Although I own a planing hull twin engined motorboat I am very much aware it consumes fuel at a rate that some people may already consider environmentally irresponsible.

    In the same way that smoking in public places has become increasingly unacceptable I predict there will be increasing criticism of the use of internal combustion engines for any use that is otherwise avoidable.

    The UK government has an ambition to see all shipping in UK waters is zero emission by 2050 .

    New cars may not be internal combustion engines by 2030.

    Therefore I would anticipate the build up to this will be gradual but determined and applied to all things. If the demand for diesel and petrol drops significantly it will presumably become unavailable to the public.

    Will people buy a £500k boat capable of 20 kts + driven by powerful diesels if it is increasingly seen by many as socially unacceptable and potentially unusable? More probably a change to electric propulsion (slow) may be the trend. In that case perhaps sailing becomes the more popular option for sea boats ?
    I think the future for motor boating will be artifical fuels, but at a higher price than we are used to paying.
    Canadians reckon their air to fuel technology will produce fossil fuel substitutes at less than $1 a liter.
    https://carbonengineering.com/about-a2f/

    Long range shipping and aircraft will likely never go battery powered so there will always be a place for liquid fuel, at least in our lifetimes.

    Alternatively it could be electric motors but powered by hydrogen, probably not so suitable for leisure boats though.
    www.fimtra.com - Distributed software, Innovative solutions.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Broken Brexit Britain
    Posts
    55,888

    Default Re: What is the future of motor boating?

    Quote Originally Posted by Greg2 View Post
    The Govt have commissioned a review of the impacts of recreational boating and the increasing awareness of climate change and what we need to do to address it could possibly lead to increased taxation through carbon taxes.
    Yup tax on marine diesel in the UK is only going one way and thats up. I also suspect that low emission or no emission zones will be imposed on some of our coastal areas which will all but prohibit fossil fuelled boating. The only factor that might inhibit this trend is the fact that one of the very few UK manufacturing success stories is motorboat building and any future govt should be loathe to do anything that damages that industry

    In the short term, I suspect that increasing numbers of people will be cruising to the Channel Islands with extra tanks to fill up on cheaper diesel

    In the long term we better hope that there is a step change in battery design which yields battery packs with a similar energy density to diesel and which will allow offshore passage making under electric power only

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Boat- Western Med
    Posts
    5,441

    Default Re: What is the future of motor boating?

    Re: What is the future of motor boating?

    More water to boat on as the sea rises
    More builders cashing in on the demand for boats as land disappears
    Less claims for grounding
    Larger areas to cruise .
    Increased weapon use age as useable land depletes
    More resourcefulness in harvesting food from the water .
    More reliant on green energy .

    A bit like this ....

    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=131Gzry382w
    Last edited by Portofino; 17-10-19 at 19:30.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to