Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 66
  1. #31
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    155

    Default Re: What is the future of motor boating?

    So the future of motor boating is.....sailing?

    I tend to agree in the most part due to the lower power requirement due to displacement speeds and the roll reduction that sails give. The emergence of electric saildrives is interesting also.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Broken Brexit Britain
    Posts
    55,892

    Default Re: What is the future of motor boating?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ferris View Post
    So the future of motor boating is.....sailing?
    .
    Maybe we'll all be tooling around at 20kts in one of these?



    Not heard of the McGregor 19 for quite some time. Is it still on the market?

  3. #33
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    ation, Loc: ation, Loc: ation.
    Posts
    16,639

    Default Re: What is the future of motor boating?

    I have no idea what the future holds but I tend to think that motorboaters are wise to keep below the radar for as long as possible. I'm not convinced that making a fuss about red diesel concessions being withdrawn is therefore helpful.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    1,758

    Default Re: What is the future of motor boating?

    Quote Originally Posted by petem View Post
    I have no idea what the future holds but I tend to think that motorboaters are wise to keep below the radar for as long as possible. I'm not convinced that making a fuss about red diesel concessions being withdrawn is therefore helpful.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    155

    Default Re: What is the future of motor boating?

    Quote Originally Posted by mikef View Post
    Maybe we'll all be tooling around at 20kts in one of these?



    Not heard of the McGregor 19 for quite some time. Is it still on the market?
    They didn't do power or sail very well i'm afraid

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    1,758

    Default Re: What is the future of motor boating?

    Getting away from propulsion arguments. This might well have a part to play:


  7. #37
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    246

    Default Re: What is the future of motor boating?

    Quote Originally Posted by Portofino View Post
    Itís called planetary motion

    Thereís an inevitability to cyclical Earth warming and cooling .

    We had three ice ages and in between three ď global warmingís ď
    Last one the N pole ice cap came down to a line from Lyon to Vienna .
    When it retreated we got the Alps and the channel + loads old other U shaped valleys like the Ogwen in N Wales etc etc .
    This all happened before any effective man made attributing effects .
    So how come ?

    Well itís to do with planetary alignment and gravity .

    Ideally all 9 planets ( or what ever number) orbit in a pure circle round the sun .
    So there yearly seasons are the same temp wise because there distance from the sun is constant .
    But in reality they gravitationally interact with each other .

    The bigger ones can pull slightly the smaller ones .We are a small one .
    So distort the circle to more egg shape .Hence our seasons .With 8 others spinning we have no chance of zero interaction and a pure circular orbit , and we havenít got one .We have a distorted egg shape .

    But every 100 or 1000 years itís possible that due to the alignment a few big ones can really distort the egg shape of the lighter ones like Earth .

    Fine you say .When the Earth moves to the end , the most egg part , the most distance from the sun ...Ok we have a cold winter so what ?
    Buy it happens gradually and the ice at the N pole when the Earth is at the nearest position high summer does not melt back to the baseline so as the decades pass the Earth cools and thereís a 5 mike thick ice sheet over 1/2 of the EU .
    The reverse happens when the gravitational influence of the largest diminishes, which is exactly whatís happening now , we - the orbit has been loosing its gravitational influence of the biggest planets .
    Further more if the gravitational influence is lower than average then the orbit becomes more proper circle as less egg then the Earth goes through ..... the ď seasons are all the same ď theses days .

    Global warming

    Has mans , could man environmentally have any influence on the Earth orbit changes , the position of the other planets .....NOPE

    So what we are seeing with 0,3 degree ( or what ever ? ) rise in Ave temps is due to a more circular orbit as opposes to a more egg shaped .

    Both extremes are not nice .
    I mean anyone up for a 4 th ice age .
    My Late father would have loved you! He wrote a scientific paper on how the sun is warming is up and man's efforts are insignificant. I have a copy somewhere and if you would like a copy do PM me....

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Isle of Eigg
    Posts
    7,708

    Default Re: What is the future of motor boating?

    Quote Originally Posted by Portofino View Post
    Itís called planetary motion

    Thereís an inevitability to cyclical Earth warming and cooling .

    We had three ice ages and in between three ď global warmingís ď
    Last one the N pole ice cap came down to a line from Lyon to Vienna .
    When it retreated we got the Alps and the channel + loads old other U shaped valleys like the Ogwen in N Wales etc etc .
    This all happened before any effective man made attributing effects .
    So how come ?

    Well itís to do with planetary alignment and gravity .

    Ideally all 9 planets ( or what ever number) orbit in a pure circle round the sun .
    So there yearly seasons are the same temp wise because there distance from the sun is constant .
    But in reality they gravitationally interact with each other .

    The bigger ones can pull slightly the smaller ones .We are a small one .
    So distort the circle to more egg shape .Hence our seasons .With 8 others spinning we have no chance of zero interaction and a pure circular orbit , and we havenít got one .We have a distorted egg shape .

    But every 100 or 1000 years itís possible that due to the alignment a few big ones can really distort the egg shape of the lighter ones like Earth .

    Fine you say .When the Earth moves to the end , the most egg part , the most distance from the sun ...Ok we have a cold winter so what ?
    Buy it happens gradually and the ice at the N pole when the Earth is at the nearest position high summer does not melt back to the baseline so as the decades pass the Earth cools and thereís a 5 mike thick ice sheet over 1/2 of the EU .
    The reverse happens when the gravitational influence of the largest diminishes, which is exactly whatís happening now , we - the orbit has been loosing its gravitational influence of the biggest planets .
    Further more if the gravitational influence is lower than average then the orbit becomes more proper circle as less egg then the Earth goes through ..... the ď seasons are all the same ď theses days .

    Global warming

    Has mans , could man environmentally have any influence on the Earth orbit changes , the position of the other planets .....NOPE

    So what we are seeing with 0,3 degree ( or what ever ? ) rise in Ave temps is due to a more circular orbit as opposes to a more egg shaped .

    Both extremes are not nice .
    I mean anyone up for a 4 th ice age .
    So, you really think that none, not a single one of the world's climate scientists havent thought of that? I dont just mean the 97% that agree that what we are experiencing now is man made and had never ever happened so fast before, not just them, but also the other 3% that deny its man made and have been proven wrong. You really think that NASA or any of the thousands of astronomers wouldnt be shouting about that?

    They arent ,and you know why? Because thats not the reason for this MMGW

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    3,292

    Default Re: What is the future of motor boating?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lon nan Gruagach View Post
    So, you really think that none, not a single one of the world's climate scientists havent thought of that? I dont just mean the 97% that agree that what we are experiencing now is man made and had never ever happened so fast before, not just them, but also the other 3% that deny its man made and have been proven wrong. You really think that NASA or any of the thousands of astronomers wouldnt be shouting about that?

    They arent ,and you know why? Because thats not the reason for this MMGW
    What I was getting at in a slightly more polite way What separates MMGW is the sheer rate at which atmospheric CO2 is building and that is unprecedented. Along with various ecosystems which have unknown tipping points (eg. ice sheet run-off) we are really taking some big risks.

    Back on topic, I have already bailed out of motorboating even though that is what my family prefered most for in the Solent. Now back down to my Jeanneau sailing boat in Gosport. However, I am doing lots of dinghy sailing in the local reservior as my kids are now taking dinghy sailing lessons and at least one is really getting into it. Managed to do our first races last weekend.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Medway
    Posts
    20,152

    Default Re: What is the future of motor boating?

    For many folks the cost of fuel does not come close to the other expences of running a boat. We all have benefited and taken advantage of this derogation virtually since leisure boating gained popularity in the 1950s and 60s and yet folks were still moaning even about the price of derogated fuel.
    Suspect at some point in the very near future HMG will be casting around for methods to gather much needed revenue while claiming to encourage a reduction in carbon.
    Any pleas for mercy due to the effect on the UK boating industry possibly deserves to fall on deaf ears, most new craft are exported out of UK where they have to pay full duty on their fuel and it does not seem to affected boat use at all. ?
    Anybody know a single volume builder that has done anything to reduce emissions from boats by way of filtering exhausts especially on diesels.
    Ever seen a placard at the boat show proclaiming how economical and clean this particualr boat is, quite possibly with a young lady in swimsuit in the background.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to