Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Volvo Engine Hours Display.

Top result.....
    Fitted a new display and knocked 560 hours off my total engine hours!

http://www.akspeedo.com/vdo-lcd-repair.php

One hour to fit and replace the add on hour meter that wasn't actually reading engine running hours but was reading when the engine switch was on.... Actual hours for nearly 20 year old boat is now 1580.. Fast delivery and a very happy customer.
    Steve
    Now Sailing Bluenote II Hanse 301 based Y Felinheli Dock.

Default Re: Volvo Engine Hours Display.

Would you buy a second hand boat from this man?

Quote Originally Posted by TSB240 View Post
    Top result.....
    Fitted a new display and knocked 560 hours off my total engine hours!

http://www.akspeedo.com/vdo-lcd-repair.php

One hour to fit and replace the add on hour meter that wasn't actually reading engine running hours but was reading when the engine switch was on.... Actual hours for nearly 20 year old boat is now 1580.. Fast delivery and a very happy customer.
    Steve
    Why or how did the 560 hours get knocked off? The whole point of those new displays is that the existing engine hours are preserved.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Frayed Knot View Post
    Would you buy a second hand boat from this man?
    Are you interested or just a keel tapper?

In my defence I know I have left the boat in a rush with the panel switched on at least once for a week in my ownership.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    Why or how did the 560 hours get knocked off? The whole point of those new displays is that the existing engine hours are preserved.

Richard
    Engine hours actually recorded and retained internally in Volvo panel were 1580. A previous owner had fitted an additional hours timer clock wired to the illumination circuit for the panel. This was showing 2140 hours. QED.

And what's good with these original Volvo Penta tachos is that the hours only count up when the engine is actually running . They don't increase the hour count when the panel is powered on but engine not running.

Thanks for the reminder to the supplier link though. I replaced my display within the tachometer with an arduino nano and small oled display. It took more than an hour to get the software working but it does now display a nice Moody logo whilst booting

Quote Originally Posted by TSB240 View Post
    Are you interested or just a keel tapper?

In my defence I know I have left the boat in a rush with the panel switched on at least once for a week in my ownership.
    Just a quick facetious reply on the way to work (coffee time now)
    I have the same problem so many thanks for the post & link - it just reminded me of the story of an Essex car dealer in court for “clocking” a car. Pleading not guilty on the grounds that he was 25,000 miles away in Kent at the time...

Arrived. But thinking of a bit more east.

Great link thanks, a friend of mine has a dead display and has tried the airing cupboard trick to no avail.

What I donít understand is how youíve lost 560 engine hours when as you say the actual hours are stored.

Having an add-on clock for some reason reading the illumination time is just bizarre. Surely the panel is only switched on when you want the engine to run (except on the occasion when you left it on).

Totally confused and as as I will probably be the one that fits this Iíd like to understand it.

Thanks

The main circuit board within the tachometer sends the actual recorded engine hours to the display in a format that just tells the dumb display which bars within the 8888.8 display to light up.
    The internal tachometer hours only seem to count up once pulses from the alternator are seen. I guess the difference between engine running hours and switch panel turned on hours is quite small, but Volvo have done this the right way.

Adding after market display showing 'panel on' hours is close enough for most but would over read if you always go home and forget to power down the panel.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast