Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Weight of 11 foot Dell Quay Dory

Can anyone advise what the dry bare hull weight of an 11 foot dell quay dory would be if there has been no waterlogging of the foam?

Default Re: Weight of 11 foot Dell Quay Dory

A rare thing for these not to be waterlogged, but Id imagine in the region of 200kgs or just under

I’ve got one outside the front of my house. The two half’s are separated and the waterlogged foam is all removed. If I could think of a way of weighing it I could tell you! I’m waiting to do some minor repairs and stick it back together and sell it.
    Semper aliud

They are heavy for their size...
    As a comparison, a current 10 1/2 foot Bonwitco is 84kg, a 12 1/2 foot one is 119kg.
    These are double skinned boats, but not foam filled.

Quote Originally Posted by James_Calvert View Post
    They are heavy for their size...
    As a comparison, a current 10 1/2 foot Bonwitco is 84kg, a 12 1/2 foot one is 119kg.
    These are double skinned boats, but not foam filled.
    When mine was waterlogged it weighed well over 500kg in the slings on the crane when she was lifted. I estimate each skin now they’re dried out to be at least 30-40 kg. Add on some trim and the new wooden seats I’ve got ready to fit and the rubber fender that hides/covers the hull to deck (or inner skin) join and you’re probably up near 150 kg? Maybe more? I can try and weigh each end of the hull if you like and add the weights together. Then weigh the bits I’ve got to add...
    Semper aliud

AIUI, the moulds went through several ownerships, so knowing the GRP boat industry, the weight of one may be quite different from another. Those built for commercial use might be also be heavier than those for leisure use?
    I've seen them go quite well on 15HP, so they can't be stupidly heavy.

The 13ft had a dry weight of 260kg according to the brochure, so I'd guess around 220kg for the 11ft version.

From worldseafishing.com › forums ›weighed the boat at 240kg without engine so looks like it should be mostly dry inside unlike my other dory that weighs 400kg with soaked foam.
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

Quote Originally Posted by pvb View Post
    The 13ft had a dry weight of 260kg according to the brochure, so I'd guess around 220kg for the 11ft version.
    My guess would be that 260kg for 13ft ought to include the engine. But I could be wrong.
    If the OP wants to know if there's water in his, the way to find out is to drill a hole in it.

An Avon SR4 only weighs 150kg and they are not regarded as flimsy.

I'd also hazard that the question might be moot, there may be no such thing as a Dell Quay Dory with completely dry foam?

Quote Originally Posted by lw395 View Post
    My guess would be that 260kg for 13ft ought to include the engine. But I could be wrong.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast