Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Visiting Cowes or the Folly this weekend

One way or another this season we haven't been too adventurous from Chichester and an escape is overdue. I've only been to East Cowes Marina once and it was excellent as marinas go, although a minor trek to get into town. I'm interested in the two marinas on the west side of the river and which is likely to be easiest to get into in terms of easy pontoons and space to manoevre. Probably arriving a couple of hours after high water. Haven't been to the Folly either so that would be an option. I'm expecting it to be quiter than mid Summer but maybe at this time of year people like ourselves head for Cowes comforts instead of anchoring in Newtown, Keyhaven and Beaulieu. I'm after some local knowledge/preferences as almost a Cowes virgin and not normally a marina "type".
    This could be interpreted as I'm reluctant to raft, and that is true, I would be a bit apprehensive, but more my son has a disability and climbing over guard rails on other peoples boats is a bit more involved than getting onto a pontoon.
    Last edited by FairweatherDave; 15-10-19 at 14:27.

South Oxfordshire, Gosport and Wellington New Zealand.

Default Re: Visiting Cowes or the Folly this weekend

Quote Originally Posted by FairweatherDave View Post
    One way or another this season we haven't been too adventurous from Chichester and an escape is overdue. I've only been to East Cowes Marina once and it was excellent as marinas go, although a minor trek to get into town. I'm interested in the two marinas on the west side of the river and which is likely to be easiest to get into in terms of easy pontoons and space to manoevre. Probably arriving a couple of hours after high water. Haven't been to the Folly either so that would be an option. I'm expecting it to be quiter than mid Summer but maybe at this time of year people like ourselves head for Cowes comforts instead of anchoring in Newtown, Keyhaven and Beaulieu. I'm after some local knowledge/preferences as almost a Cowes virgin and not normally a marina "type".
    This could be interpreted as I'm reluctant to raft, and that is true, I would be a bit apprehensive, but more my son has a disability and climbing over guard rails on other peoples boats is a bit more involved than getting onto a pontoon.
    We prefer Shepards - the Cowes Harbourmasters Marina.

Even out of season the Yacht Haven can be noisy with parties on boats.

The folly is usually nice and quiet - if early enough you might blag a walkashore, otherwise its the dink or the taxi.

Enjoy!

I'm not a local but Shepards would be my shout, you can tie up to the outer pontoon on the river side and they seem quite happy for people to stop there. Easy to get into town and nice ramps if your lad if needs be.
    Tom, Sundance
    2wheels1keel.com

I suspect you'll have to be a bit careful at the Folly. The southern end of the pontoon with a walkway dries at CD and the northern end is only about 0.5m deep. Springs today, but you'll have to be careful with depth.

Another alternative are the mid-river pontoons and these have 1-1.5m at CD and won't be at all busy at this time of year. There's a ferry in the summer to the pub but you'll have to check if it's running now and also if access is ok for your son. It's basically a little 14' dinghy with a cuddy. Failing that, you could look at East Cowes Marina, or even Island Harbour if depth permits. And if staying on West side, Rotrax has it, Shepherds is def best.

Finally, some disagree, but IMHO the Folly sits on the Wetherspoon end of the spectrum.
    Last edited by dom; 15-10-19 at 14:42.

Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    I
    Finally, some disagree, but IMHO the Folly sits on the Wetherspoon end of the spectrum.
    If we make it to Cowes I'll be happy with MacDonalds .......

Actually all the replies are really helpful, keep them coming!
    Looking at google earth it looks like the tide will run parallel with most of the pontoons at Shepards?
    Is the proximity of the ferry terminal particularly disturbing?
    Depth unlikely to be an issue as 29ft bilge keel drawing 1m

"Even out of season the Yacht Haven can be noisy with parties on boats."

In the many times I've been to the Yacht Haven at the weekend I've never been disturbed by noisy parties.
    I was once disturbed by the neighbouring boats' young children and their parents having loud pontoon conversations, but c'est la vie.

Looking at google earth it looks like the tide will run parallel with most of the pontoons at Shepards?
    Cowes Yacht Haven or Shepards are easiest by a mile and have best access to food and drink, generally both are relatively quiet unless it's summer and the sunsail fleet are in town. Folly has definitely gone downhill. We don't do Macdonalds in Cowes, you'd have to get a bus to Newport...

Shepherds does have a back eddy, in close to the shore, on the ebb.. It can catch you out very quick...

The haven appears to have more space between pontoons..

Folly mid river pontoons are lovely at this time of year but might be worth a call to see when the Folly Launch is running.. The Cowes Harbour Commission water taxi from the mid river pontoons to Cowes is daytime only at this time of year, but probably pointless if you only want a lift ashore to the Folly Inn and back.

Lol, for an aerial view you might find this helpful:
    https://www.deanreddyhoff.co.uk/east-cowes-marina

And for the tidal flows:
    https://www.cowesharbourcommission.c...al_tidal_flows
    (do be careful of them entering/leaving at other than slack).

And finally, beware of the floating junk (aka floating bridge )
    https://www.cowesharbourcommission.c...ers_11_of_2019

Enjoy your w/e!!

Thanks Dom and everyone else. I had been studying the available Cowes info but the forum is really good for putting it in perspective. So hopefully Saturday night. Say hello anyone to a very average looking (pride and joy) Konsort called Quintessence. (Gutted about the MacDonalds though )
    Last edited by FairweatherDave; 15-10-19 at 15:29.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast