Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Bavaria 40 - where to put Solar?

My potential (survey report pending) new boat has no energy generation at all, and the obvious thing to do is to stick a wind generator on, however, I'd like solar too.

Where on earth would be the best place for it? I resist the idea of a solar arch off the stern, however, I suppose that could act as davits also if I get it specced strong enough?

What do others do?

Default Re: Bavaria 40 - where to put Solar?

An arch/ gantry on the stern is the best solution. I’ve seen solar panels hinged onto the guard rails but this can only be used at anchor and can be vulnerable to damage.

Does the boat have a bimini? I have flexible panels fitted to the bimini with velcro. Long narrow panels are available that will fit to the coachroof between the grab rails and the rope runs from organisers to clutches.
    I question the idea of a wind generator as you need a big one to get more power from it than you would get from a pair of 100 watt panels if you are somewhere sunny like the Med. As an example the Rutland 914i needs 21 knots of wind to generate 140 watts. Where I am the wind averages, day and night much less than that, and I suspect well less than the speed required to produce 50 watts. In terms of cost the solar panels beat wind generation by a big margin unless your sailing is in more northern areas. As for fitting, a wind generator needs a substantial and well braced pole to mount it, and if you are going to install that you may as well install an arch for solar panels as well, or instead.
    Working on immortality - One day at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by MagicalArmchair View Post
    ... and the obvious thing to do is to stick a wind generator on...
    Many people would disagree with that!

Where on earth would be the best place for it? I resist the idea of a solar arch off the stern, however, I suppose that could act as davits also if I get it specced strong enough?
    You could get a reasonably-sized panel on the coachroof forward of the mainsheet.

Quote Originally Posted by pvb View Post
    Many people would disagree with that!
    I agree with the disagreement

We've removed ours as it generated very little and shaded the panels much of the time. Our gantry acts as davits as well as solar mount. Cost wise, watts per pound, solar beats wind every time.

I would also go with the gantry and no wind generator

Quote Originally Posted by Graham376 View Post
    I agree with the disagreement

We've removed ours as it generated very little and shaded the panels much of the time. Our gantry acts as davits as well as solar mount. Cost wise, watts per pound, solar beats wind every time.
    Ha! Great, thank you, I will bin the idea of wind then! We will be keeping her on the East Coast on Blighty, so slightly more wind, and a trifle less sun, however, sun still seems the best bet.

For the gantry itself, can these be sourced "off the peg"? Or best to manufacture myself or design and have a local stainless engineers put together?

Ha! Great, thank you, I will bin the idea of wind then! We will be keeping her on the East Coast on Blighty, so slightly more wind, and a trifle less sun, however, sun still seems the best bet.

For the gantry itself, can these be sourced "off the peg"? Or best to manufacture myself or design and have a local stainless engineers put together?
    If you can bend and weld stainless, make it yourself. If not, you'll need to get one custom made. I helped design one and had it made for a 38ft Moody, by a local stainless company earlier this year. It integrates and forms part of the pushpit, has built in, swing out, davits and fixings for the aft end of a bimini. It's fitted with a pair of 200w panels and also carries the GPS and VHF for the AIS transducer.

Not trying to sell you one, if you're near Shotley any time i can show it to you, might provide some inspiration.

Not quite finished here ; https://photos.app.goo.gl/G6EPu6MeWdKiKUV88
    Rainbow Marine.
    www.rainbowmarine.co.uk

Glad you decided to skip wind-gen. They are useful when no room for more solar and the boat is in an area with high average wind speed. People keep saying they are in UK (even as far north as Scotland) and won't get much from solar. That is not correct and solar still beats wind on cost grounds.

Don't ignore extra solar under the boom if you have in-mast furling. The arch will supply more of your daily needs but rigid panels are pretty cheap and deck mounted ones are useful. I have 145W under the boom and get good output. I do pull the boom to one side or the other to reduce shading but not a big deal in terms of effort.

I use a nice low profile side entry gland from Index Marine (https://www.indexmarine.com/products...ands/#SEseries) with extra cable coiled underneath the panels. I can move them out to sit between the side deck and guard rails or on foredeck. I have only done this a couple of times when anchored in a river and panels were mostly shaded. Output is usually good in the central location.

An arch is best and most of my output comes from the arch mounted panels but any extra panels always help.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast