Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: 14 Months and still not back in the water.... Can anyone help?

PORTOFINO

- Bellows ruptured a fist sized hole, rather than popping off.
    - The paying out is the problem, as we had an awful process of me having to source several yards, repairers and opinions, and cam across some "characters" claiming to be able to repair it one way, when in reality, as Volvo Paul has pointed out, we had to have an entire soft hatch removal. This led to replacing the engines actually being the cheap option for all to see, however the surveyor truly answers to the insurers and so we have ended up with a repair of old and new parts that has costed 150%+ more. We also were refused to be able to use our own Berthon Marina for some rather shady reasoning regarding preferred repair providers.
    - All up to date on servicing, all volvo, all done by Princess. The repair is also now with princess.

NB. Princess only contact me if i hassle them day and night for at least 3 days straight. I wish that this was an exaggeration...

VOLVOPAUL
    - I know we had a recall regarding an alternator but that was all. no notification was received for this other issue. (just double checked all related emails)

Quote Originally Posted by volvopaul View Post
    So are you saying that your insurer is rejecting the full claim ?

If itís the case of the exhaust alloy pipe corroding away which in turn causes the rubber pipe to blow off then this is down to the possibility of poor servicing , or possibly you slipped through the net if your engines are in the batch of warranty recall on the exhaust horn .

If itís not in the claim zone from VP then the corrosion must have been visible on the yearly service which should have been noted and reported to you , this is something that I am very keen on examining at service on D4/6 stern drive boats .
    Canít say any more until you give us more info on service history etc.
    The insurer is paying the claim, but is not covering certain parts, which we still do not fully understand why. They say some parts would eventually be changed at service anyway so they dont cover them, but If they are working at the time of the incident, then thats how they should be returned.

No corrosion noted on service.

I am going to see about the service history now to see what i can share etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Portofino View Post
    Thx P gotcha .

Yes I remember vaguely a rubber flange that connects to the ally horn from the turbo on the KAD 300 .
    I removed it once to replace an elbow and I was horrified by the corrosion around the ally lip on top of the horn .
    Elbow had classic rust spots coming through the green paint ....from the inside and the spray head was severely corroded .
    Anyhow it ( rubber bit ) was a 8ugger to refit , align and clip .
    I sold the boat at the end of that season and migrated away from VP sterndrives .It felt like I was coming up to a big engine out overhaul .
    The insurance carried out one survey, and this is the same ongoing surveyor who has to give the go ahead for money to be released to cover the "reasonable costs"

This is the same surveyor who identified the 11 degree bad angle.

meanwhile Princess also carried out a survey, however although they did not dispute the installation angle, they instead focused on the build up of fouling on the drive legs, which they claim prevented the water inflow. This was a hot summer.

Quote Originally Posted by 2013PrincessV39 View Post
    PORTOFINO

- Bellows ruptured a fist sized hole, rather than popping off.
    - The paying out is the problem, as we had an awful process of me having to source several yards, repairers and opinions, and cam across some "characters" claiming to be able to repair it one way, when in reality, as Volvo Paul has pointed out, we had to have an entire soft hatch removal. This led to replacing the engines actually being the cheap option for all to see, however the surveyor truly answers to the insurers and so we have ended up with a repair of old and new parts that has costed 150%+ more. We also were refused to be able to use our own Berthon Marina for some rather shady reasoning regarding preferred repair providers.
    - All up to date on servicing, all volvo, all done by Princess. The repair is also now with princess.

NB. Princess only contact me if i hassle them day and night for at least 3 days straight. I wish that this was an exaggeration...

VOLVOPAUL
    - I know we had a recall regarding an alternator but that was all. no notification was received for this other issue. (just double checked all related emails)
    So you have had 2 new engines as the engine room was flooded , I can definitely reason with that on a full electronic engine .
    Everything on the engine should have been supplied as a package , I would only deduce you have been charged for sundressís items like oil and coolant for the engines .
    You would have been charged for service items on each drive as the drives would have to be removed to process the engine removal .

I remember when VP were changing the exhaust horns , they would only do this when the owner PAID for the drive service because the drives had to be removed , left a nasty taste for some owners I can relate .

Send us a list of what they think you should pay for .

Which company has done the work ?

The insurance carried out one survey, and this is the same ongoing surveyor who has to give the go ahead for money to be released to cover the "reasonable costs"

meanwhile Princess also carried out a survey, however although they did not dispute the installation angle, they instead focused on the build up of fouling on the drive legs, which they claim prevented the water inflow. This was a hot summer.
    If there was no overheat on the day in question when the boat was up on the plane then there is no reason from P to suggest it was the lack of salt water exiting the exhaust that would cause the bellows to melt causing the hole in the rubber pipe, the 11 degree bad fit is down to whoever fitted it after repair / service work , easily done as the exhaust elbow is on a clamp that can be tighten up at any angle.

So the rupture of that plastic / rubber part is thought to be heat related ?
    Impeded water flow maybe ( possible slight rise in jacket temps ) but normal gas flow vol but if the props are fouled it’s incredible how that gas , we call it EGT , exhaust gas temp shoots up .
    I’ve been banging on about being mindful of EGT s on here for ages .
    Having said that .....
    Perhaps with your D6 / D4 modern set up overload is not achievable by the electrotwackery ??

Quote Originally Posted by Portofino View Post
    So the rupture of that plastic / rubber part is thought to be heat related ?
    Impeded water flow maybe ( possible slight rise in jacket temps ) but normal gas flow vol but if the props are fouled it’s incredible how that gas , we call it EGT , exhaust gas temp shoots up .
    I’ve been banging on about being mindful of EGT s on here for ages .
    Having said that .....
    Perhaps with your D6 / D4 modern set up overload is not achievable by the electrotwackery ??
    Exactly, overheat alarm will come on putting engine to limp mode so no reason as I said to suggest high EGT .
    There is a cop out here somewhere , I can sure smell it .

Could do with JFM taking part in this debate once we have more detail.
    He loves insurance companies trying to get out of paying .

Hi Volvo Paul,

So to be clear, we did not get 2 new engines.

We got our current engines stripped and repaired with some parts that could be used and some that couldn't. Princess were VERY unhappy about this but the surveyor insisted and so the insurance would only pay out this way. They offered us the option of some money for "reasonable costs", but we then pay the rest for new engines, but it was a huge amount and we couldn't afford it.

They want us to pay for:
    X P7142 Hempel black antifou 1 176.00 EACH 0.00 176.00 S
    X P76300 Hempel white antifou 1 176.00 EACH 0.00 176.00 S
    X Z3588745 Volvo DPH leg anodes 2 38.00 EACH 0.00 76.00 S
    X Z3588746 Stern drive anodes 2 42.30 EACH 0.00 84.60 S
    X Z3588753 Dph bellows kit 2 55.50 EACH 0.00 111.00 S
    X Z3594509 Drive Bellows Kit DP 2 46.30 EACH 0.00 92.60 S
    X Z964114 Volvo dph oring 2 0.66 EACH 0.00 1.32 S
    X Z889455 Volvo dph washer 2 2.50 EACH 0.00 5.00 S
    X Z949656 Volvo gasket 2 1.10 EACH 0.00 2.20 S
    hull Antifoul
    Z22479648 Ips gear oil 5 ltr 2 88.80 EACH 0.00 177.60 S
    X Z22479650 Dph oil 1 ltr 2 19.60 EACH 0.00 39.20 S
    X Z22274885 Volvo hose clamp 2 3.30 EACH 0.00 6.60 S
    X Z3862903 Volvo bushing 4 1.50 EACH 0.00 6.00 S
    X Z3589516 Wear Washer 4 5.80 EACH 0.00 23.20 S
    X Z21243935 Volvo lock ring 2 4.20 EACH 0.00 8.40 S
    X Z21868040 Anode kit 2 51.50 EACH 0.00 103.00 S
    X Z3863213 Dph prop nut 2 20.70 EACH 0.00 41.40 S
    X Z3863211 Dph prop nut 2 22.50 EACH 0.00 45.00 S
    X Z22479648 Ips gear oil 5 ltr 1 88.80 EACH 0.00 88.80 S
    X Z3584238 Hot water valve 1 69.20 EACH 0.00 69.20 S
    X Z21868040 Anode kit 1 51.50 EACH 0.00 51.50 S
    Small Aluminium Thru 13.5
    2 x Small trim tab anode 18.31
    Hot Water Valve 69.20
    Anode Kit 51.5

JFM was actually recommended as someone who might reply, by the very kind MBY team member who suggested I give the forum a go.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast