Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: New facility for disposing of flares

Quote Originally Posted by nortada View Post
    This usually happens if you fire them the down wind.

If you fire them up wind they attain more height before igniting so with the longer decent time burn out, just before hitting the ground
    If that is the case, why do the instructions tell one to fire them down wind? I accept that there is a possibility of one coming back & hitting the operator in the face. However, the launch time to clear the operator, must be milliseconds, once it leaves the flare case. So that must be a very unlikely reason.
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream believer View Post
    If that is the case, why do the instructions tell one to fire them down wind? I accept that there is a possibility of one coming back & hitting the operator in the face. However, the launch time to clear the operator, must be milliseconds, once it leaves the flare case. So that must be a very unlikely reason.
    I was always taught to fire them downwind too, then there was a discussion on here in another thread that made a plausible theory the wind acting on the line send them higher. However thinking about it now flares have NO lines attached so no longer plausible! Different for a line thrower though...

W.

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream believer View Post
    Yes, you fire them 'Slightly' downwind and the wind on the burning trail tilts the flight path towards the vertical. No more that 20degrees from the vertical, in my experience. Much more than that and it can turn to a horizontal flight path with the wind behind it and it will go a long way then land still burning. Not good!

Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

Yup, I fired many white paraflares on night searches when I was on the Coastguard, and we were taught to fire them pretty much as Plum describes, and can confirm that they actually curve back towards the vertical as they climb.
    Keep up to date with 'East Coast Pilot' at www.eastcoastpilot.com

Think you fire them downwind because they’re supposed to land on water...

Quote Originally Posted by Marmalade View Post
    Think you fire them downwind because they’re supposed to land on water...
    There must be a negligible chance of it falling back onto one's boat/liferaft if set off upwind in light conditions but Sod's law is good at overcoming adverse statistics.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

I once set one off at an inland flare instruction/demonstration session. It failed to reach the proper height because I held the flare not vertical enough. It was still burning at what appeared to be 20 ft. above the ground and then went out. Phew! Underneath was a paint factory!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12