Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Re-pack your Jon Buoy auto-inflating danbuoy? Impossible, Sir.

Quote Originally Posted by mm42 View Post
    Try East Coast Marine again, as you say a great little chandlery (my local). He might have done one.
    I will, thanks.
    "Now shall the gentleman haul and draw with the mariner"
    John Hawkins

Quote Originally Posted by tross View Post
    Why don't we get repacking instructions for life jackets
    I'm fairly sure mine came with instructions.

As for the dan buoy, it can hardly be rocket science. Any creases in the fabric showing how it used to go?

I test-inflate and re-pack my full-size Jon buoy each winter along with the lifejackets - the first couple of times I had to have two goes at folding it small enough to fit neatly in the case, but I've got the knack by now. It helps that I carefully unpacked it, noting how it was originally folded, which obviously isn't an option if the first time you saw it was bursting out of the pack and inflating itself...

A year after I got it, I spoke to someone from Ocean Safety at the Boat Show, who agreed there was no particular reason I shouldn't service it myself. Obviously not toeing the company line there

Pete

Any creases in the fabric showing how it used to go?

When doing life jackets, I try not to use the old creases to avoid fatiguing the material by constantly folding it in the same place. No idea if it does any good, but it's something I was taught by my dad when folding a cycling cape
    Steve
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Just a though how about painting your LJ cylinder(s)?

W.

Quote Originally Posted by PilotWolf View Post
    Just a though how about painting your LJ cylinder(s)?

W.
    I use lanolin for jobs like that, it's harmless to fabrics and very waterproof indeed ( I smeared my Aries windvane with a thick coat of lanolin, and it lasted over a year of continuous salt spray, rain and snow. Amazing stuff!)
    John Hawkins

My point with regards to the rusty cylinders and the preventative coatings - why are we having to do these in the first place - it is not beyound theability of the manufacturers to prevent them rusting in the first place - or is that so they can sell more.
    As an aside, I have used the acrylic liquid floor polish we use on the vinyl foors at work. - This year I will try a sample on the transom to see how it survives the rain, sea and sun.
    Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.

Quote Originally Posted by tross View Post
    My point with regards to the rusty cylinders and the preventative coatings - why are we having to do these in the first place - it is not beyound theability of the manufacturers to prevent them rusting in the first place - or is that so they can sell more.
    As an aside, I have used the acrylic liquid floor polish we use on the vinyl foors at work. - This year I will try a sample on the transom to see how it survives the rain, sea and sun.
    Those cylinders are made by the million and used for fizzy drinks and all sorts, we pay yacht tax on them but imagine if they were made in 316 stainless, they would last for ever, not much profit in that..and no, the air doesn't leak through the steel..
    John Hawkins

I have always thought that my JonBouy was designed by someone on work experience. It consists of a section of drainage pipe inside a sleeve made from plastic tarpaulin type material. The top cover is very difficult to replace, stiff to remove and the cover for the inflation system is prone to sticking.

I check mine annually and use a little silicone grease on the cover for the auto-inflation trigger. I've never had a problem packing it again.

1) Extract all the air (I hold the valve open with a small rubber grommet held by a thin section of duct tape and use a dinghy pump to deflate)
    2) Fold at the middle, lay flat and roll towards the ends (This leaves the trigger, cylinder and inflation tube near the outside of the roll)
    3) Make certain the manual inflation cord hangs clear of everything and wrap the JonBuoy inside the green pouch supplied.
    4) Manual inflation cord should hang outside the end of the pouch after joining the edges with Velcro.
    5) The pouch should just slide into the tube on top of the line. Fitting the end cap can be a bit of a bother and requires a screwdriver to lever the material back into place.

N.B. It is worth pulling out all of the line to check for any problems. The end section tends to rot in the sun but can easily be cut off and re-tied about a foot further along the line.

I wrote this from memory and hope it makes sense. It isn't a difficult process to carry out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistroma View Post
    I have always thought that my JonBouy was designed by someone on work experience. It consists of a section of drainage pipe inside a sleeve made from plastic tarpaulin type material. The top cover is very difficult to replace, stiff to remove and the cover for the inflation system is prone to sticking.

I check mine annually and use a little silicone grease on the cover for the auto-inflation trigger. I've never had a problem packing it again.

1) Extract all the air (I hold the valve open with a small rubber grommet held by a thin section of duct tape and use a dinghy pump to deflate)
    2) Fold at the middle, lay flat and roll towards the ends (This leaves the trigger, cylinder and inflation tube near the outside of the roll)
    3) Make certain the manual inflation cord hangs clear of everything and wrap the JonBuoy inside the green pouch supplied.
    4) Manual inflation cord should hang outside the end of the pouch after joining the edges with Velcro.
    5) The pouch should just slide into the tube on top of the line. Fitting the end cap can be a bit of a bother and requires a screwdriver to lever the material back into place.

N.B. It is worth pulling out all of the line to check for any problems. The end section tends to rot in the sun but can easily be cut off and re-tied about a foot further along the line.

I wrote this from memory and hope it makes sense. It isn't a difficult process to carry out.
    That's extremely kind of you to go through those details for me. Mine's a slightly different type, in a two part box which is split by the auto-inflation ( a bit like a liferaft canister) and I will heed your advice when I tackle the repacking mission.
    In fact I will take a few piccies for reference, the trouble is being unable to test it once it's packed.
    John Hawkins

photodog is offline Lord High Commander of Upper Broughton and Gunthorpe

Well, at least yours inflated.

Mine just sank.

0D0F8DEC-66EA-4D66-BD8C-F197ADE6943F.jpg

Anyways, since replaced with a more traditional variety...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast