Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Default Re: Do you use an anchor snubber?

Quote Originally Posted by noelex View Post
    Good point.
    Not so sure about chain hooks on snubbers. Don't think I'd want to risk one falling off when you didn't want it to, or not falling off when you did. Snubbers on deck have an advantage of not needing to pull in a load of chain to release the snubber if you want to veer more chain . And also not get covered with jellyfish tenticles

Quote Originally Posted by Neeves View Post
    I bent our pin, with the chain locked in! I needed a Mole wrench to draw the pin. Its a Witchard hook and expensive.

Maybe I was unlucky

Jonathan
    Thanks for the heads up, I will treat it with respect.
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

Quote Originally Posted by GHA View Post
    Not so sure about chain hooks on snubbers. Don't think I'd want to risk one falling off when you didn't want it to, or not falling off when you did. Snubbers on deck have an advantage of not needing to pull in a load of chain to release the snubber if you want to veer more chain . And also not get covered with jellyfish tenticles
    If you have a windlass its no issue at all to pull some chain in and release the chain hook. Alternatively you can add line to the snubber and just let more chain and snubber out. We have done that and it works fine. An open chain hook only falls off in my experience in very light wind when you have more snubber length deployed than there is depth of water. In these conditions the snubber is doing very little so just shortening it to less than the depth of water solves the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by geem View Post
    If you have a windlass its no issue at all to pull some chain in and release the chain hook. Alternatively you can add line to the snubber and just let more chain and snubber out. We have done that and it works fine. An open chain hook only falls off in my experience in very light wind when you have more snubber length deployed than there is depth of water. In these conditions the snubber is doing very little so just shortening it to less than the depth of water solves the problem.
    MontyMariner.co.uk

Getting back to security of the anchor chain connection. Don't you have pawls in your windlasses? We have a manual windlass with a friction brake and a pawl.

Is a pawl the same, in this instance, as a chain lock?

We don't have a pawl but we do have a claw on a strop, the stop is attached to a strong point independent of the windlass. that acts as a chain lock. If the pawl is part of the windlass then if the pawl is needed - then all the tension is on the windlass. Many windlass are not particularly well reinforced (some don't actually seem to be reinforced at all) - I prefer an independent back up with independent reinforcing (but there is no pawl, nor option as an extra)..

Jonathan
    Last edited by Neeves; 21-10-19 at 21:42.

Nah, people want to be able to wind chain in and out, using a radio controlled switch from their bunks. A pawl would stop them from letting chain out without going out in the cold.

My old hydraulic windlass had a heavy duty pawl, but I think you will find that most electric ones don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NormanS View Post
    Nah, people want to be able to wind chain in and out, using a radio controlled switch from their bunks. A pawl would stop them from letting chain out without going out in the cold.

My old hydraulic windlass had a heavy duty pawl, but I think you will find that most electric ones don't.
    My old electric S-L Seawolf also has a pawl to lock the gypsy.
    MontyMariner.co.uk

I always used a snubber and a riding sail to cut down swinging.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyInBed View Post
    My old electric S-L Seawolf also has a pawl to lock the gypsy.
    Sorry but you are all showing your age. We young chaps, with gearbox casings made from GRP, and shiny gypsies don't have pawls (and frankly did not know windlass have, or could have, pawls).

How did you guys survive the removal of the rum ration?

(Doffs cap)

We live and learn

But we do not all have remote controlled windlass controls. Some of us have compliant crew who do all of this technical work (its called multi tasking (apparently), there is need to keep them busy. .

Jonathan

Last edited by Neeves; 22-10-19 at 08:21.

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast