Default Foil AC pics and vid

Where are they all?
    Now that its launched and in the Solent (not the most remote stretch of water) i cant believe there are testing it with no watching?
    Ian

Default Re: Foil AC pics and vid

It hasn't sailed yet.
    You never know, I might be right!

I stand corrected.. Pics over on anarchy....
    You never know, I might be right!

I'm not sure how long this has been around, NZ labelled as tacking, and although it's actually it's gybing I'm still quite impressed that it's coming together.

Thanks, interesting although not as interesting as listening to Alex Thompson walk as around his boat immediately after

Quote Originally Posted by anoccasionalyachtsman View Post
    I'm not sure how long this has been around, NZ labelled as tacking, and although it's actually it's gybing I'm still quite impressed that it's coming together.
    Interesting question. It was clearly a turn away from the side the sails were on. But if going “downwind” faster than the wind speed, so the wind is coming from ahead the whole time, is it ever a gybe or is it always a tack as the wind never goes behind the beam?
    Our old terminology derived from previous centuries may not easily equate to the mind bending properties of superfast modern foilers.

Quote Originally Posted by dunedin View Post
    Interesting! Less info even than the Kiwi film but the deck angle looks far better.

Quote Originally Posted by dunedin View Post
    Interesting question. It was clearly a turn away from the side the sails were on. But if going “downwind” faster than the wind speed, so the wind is coming from ahead the whole time, is it ever a gybe or is it always a tack as the wind never goes behind the beam?
    Our old terminology derived from previous centuries may not easily equate to the mind bending properties of superfast modern foilers.
    However it feels on the boat, probably best to stick with the term just for the crew's sake!

its a long time since I've read Frank Bethwaites high performance sailing but doesn't he say in that book something like, you only ever sail upwind in a performance boat. I know at the time, in my Firefly, I struggled to get a handle on that concept but having now sailing dingies like 49ers, Musto skiffs, 800's etc it all makes much more sense.

Good to see Britannia on the water... although it would be nice to see more of what it's capable of. Clearly They wont want to show the world everything but there must be others around on the water with a phone that could record something :-)